The Whirled Famuss Unruly Boys Chat Club #200!

14 minutes ago, LBass said:

Miz Patsy and MIss Elizabeth, fo you ladies hab one ob those cone-shaped things wif holes in it that you put the cooked apples into and then mash 'em up wif a wooden thingy?  Kinda like this only older, wifout the stand?  Prolly knot since there are way more modern ones available now.  Fun times!  Best applesauce eber, according to Ma.

Nope.  I peel and core the apples (usually using an old fashioned peeler that clamps to the counter top.  (Save the peels if you're going to make jelly.)

Throw them in the slow cooker with a little water, spices, and a bit of salt (no sugar).  Cook a day or so for apple sauce.  Mash with a spoon.  Cook 2 days for apple butter and 3-4 days for apple paste.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Missing my heart dog Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahem, does anyone remember me?  It is I, Miss Fancypants, current President of the Woefully Neglected Houndies Club, Somerville chapter.  I apologize for everything that I have, and will continue to, miss.  Guest is simply not herself and is spending way too much time just trying to survive the day in and day out of things.  And I, for one, am simply exhausted trying to keep her on her toes and marching forward.  Not an easy task but the other slackards in this house are simply not up to the task.  Paris' contribution has been to eat everything she can shove into her mouth and then gets annoyed that she is fasted for a meal.  Parisite is the correct name for her!  And Zeke can think of absolutely nothing other than pester constantly for pets or to have a ball thrown.  He has scored a few points by leading us in several rousing roo sessions.  Not only does he whine, all.the.time but he sings, too!  At least it covers up the unremitting sighs that I hear around here all day long.  

I will eventually read some things, but I did notice Merc's apple sauce recipe.  I would love to get it, if I could as I have tasted Miss Elizabeth's apple butter and it is nom nom nom!  

Hang in there everwon, FriedDays coming!  Oh, wait.  It is here.  And didn't do any good.  Dang.  

Let me lead the sighs around here now.

Miss Fancypants :star 

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Miss Patsy, I'm glad you are well and keeping busy.  I know exactly what you mean about not knowing if there will be another chance.  And (if I may begin a sentence with a conjunction) don't let anyone minimize how you feel.  Some circumstances are worse than others, but how one feels about their particular occurance isn't always equal.  You feel the way you feel and to that you are entitled.   

:grouphug   Spirit      :grouphug

Summer  :kiss2 (trying to ignore the stuffie)

I'm not able to see Wee Battle's pics/videos on FB.   :crying

:)  Aw, sweet Widget.  You surely did raise him right!  Miss Nancy, If you think of it give him a scratch behind the shoulder for me?  I miss my little bay Arab.  

Miss Susan, I'm sorry about your knee.  I hope you are better soon.  :broke

:wave  Fancy!!  Hang in there, sweet girl, brighter days are coming.  (That's what my DLH used to say.)

Mommy used to make applesauce.  She used a Foley Food Mill so she wouldn't have to peel the apples.  She gave it to me along with her colander and stand for making cottage cheese.  It's sort of sad that I have never used either.  :(

Edited by ScootersMom

Miss Noo Carol

Hello my Friendlies!

It was fogging and now it's sunning, but it's sposed to get clouding leter on, with showerings overnite.

MISS FANCYPANTS!!!!!!  I MISSED YOU!!!!   Thanks for checking in tho it sounds like hekk in a handbasket at your house!!  :kiss2 

All this talking about apples!!!  I love apples!!!  Momma loves the pink ones.  I don't care what color they are.  If she was going to the Farming Market there's usually a couple stands from apple orcherds and they have the BEST selection of Airloom apples!!!  Momma was very disappointed when her apple jelly attempt went kaput last year.  She wanted to try again this year, but will probably not.

My Momma and Daddy must be weerd or something cause they haven't been on vaycayshun since before my angel bruther Dude passed away nine years ago.  :dunno 

Miss Soozin we hope your nee gets to feeling more better.  Momma says that usually requires rest and PT tho!!!  ;)  

Mister Spirit "peeples" say that doggies can't count but they are totally wrong about that!!  I know when I do NOT get the same amount of treats that my sisters do!!!!  SO NOT FAIR MOMMA!!!!!!    :shakefinger 

I gess I better get outside before those cloudings start coming in.  Wishings for a Rantastic Friedday for all my Friendlies!

BYE-EEE!!!   :rivethead

:P   Andipants

Chris - Mom to: Lilly, Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

35764734494_93de5b5963_b.jpg

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Spirit, I think "pensive" is absolutely the best descriptor. Good job!  I turn 78 next month and one wonders ......  

Wow that hurts!  Should have been Rome yesterday and Naples today.  OUCH. Big cyber hug for everyone. And thank you guys for all you all are doing to keep our community relatively sane. 

1-3 inches of snow due overnight/tomorrow. Just finished first round of leaf blowing and may never move again but that's par for the course.  It'll melt of course but still .....  

I'm thinking that perhaps a midwinter getaway to a cabin in Bemidji where we just spent 9 days a couple days ago might be a good-for-the-soul thing to contemplate.  Part of my mental grumpiness stems from the fact I'm an ocean person who lives in North Dakota and won't be able to get her yearly NJ and Maui ocean fix.  😮😮😮. I couldn't get any farther from an ocean if I tried short of moving 90 miles west!  Long story short of how an ocean person ended up in ND:  first husband took first job out of grad school in ND; he took off with a grad student chickie poo; I realized I'd found a good place to be so 3 year old Kestralyn and I stayed.  Been happily remarried for 44 years in December so it turned out to be a good decision.  👍

That's exactly the type of applesauce maker I use and how could you do it without the stand??  Bought mine at a rummage sale down the block at the same time I bought my turkey roaster about 50 years ago for pennies. 😃. My approach to applesauce is about as simple as it comes. Ingredients are apples and water. That's it. Nothing else. Wash apples. Quarter apples. Toss quartered apples into big pot (corn kettle, soup pot, whatever). You have put a modest amount of water into the pot first so apples steam and cook and don't stick. Put the lid on, get it to a nice boil and simmer it until apples are cooked. Stir once in awhile. When apples are done carefully take your potato masher to them in the pot (take care for spatters which burn) and smoosh them down as much as you can. When done, transfer a batch of about two cups to the applesauce maker which is sitting in the sink over another pan. Grind away with the wooden pestle until you have all the apple goodness processed. Remove the leftover sludge from the applesauce maker to the trash and repeat. After two or three batches, scrape the outside of the cone into the pan and empty the pan into the biggest bowl you own. Keep going. When your BIG bowl is full, pour it into the second largest pot you own and keep going. This way your final result is uniform.  And yes, you have used every big pot/bowl in the house but the result is so good. Oh, btw, while the first batch is cooking down you are washing, quartering, and chucking MORE apples into another pot. 

This approach means you don't monkey around peeling apples and coring them. Quarter them and chuck them in the pot. Seeds and skin stay behind in the "sludge".  

Edited by Patsy

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota

Hiya!

It’s long weekend for Mistress again and it’s gonna be rotten cold out. She ran her errands today cause it was supposta be rainy rains. But it was knot, it was knot too cold and sunnyshiney so she shoulda done the Halloweenie decorayshuns today. 

Miss Patsy, I was wonnerin iffen you got snows. There were a vary few wee liddle bits of the white stuff on the grass when I went out for early peepee this mornin.

Miss Fancypants, I bin wonder where you bin. I’m sorry your Guest is havin a tuff time. :grouphug The whirld is knot what it was and strugglin wiff that on toppa alla life’s odder tribulaysuns takes a lot oudda the hoomans. I hope you are getting some jogs and seein alla the creatures in your nayborhood at the leest.

Oh dear poor Spirit! I see your Ma is as mean and determined as my Mistress. They reelly ought to have more respect for us venerable souls. <_<

Miss Noo Carol, I wonner iffen your Foley Food Mill is related to Mistress’ Foley Fork. It is a wonnerfool thing that she used for all kindsa stuff. She got it from the lubley Flour Museum nextdoor to Miss Jennie’s Minnyapples partmint.  Hey, you can git one from their online shoppe https://shop.mnhs.org/collections/mill-city-museum

Wags,

Lila

Lila with tulips
Jerilyn, devoted Mistress to Lila (Good Looking)

Miss Patsy, that's a lot ob bowls and pots!   But homemade applesauce is soooooo gud!

Lila, whot does your Momma do wif a Foley Fork?   :dunno 

Momma made homemade stromboli tonight!  It had pizza crust and spaghetti sauce and meatballs and greens and mozzarella cheeeeese and oregano.   We got some cheeeeese!  :chow

Tomorrow is playgroop day!  :yay     The temprachurs will be in the thirtylebens!  :eek    So I am sure that Momma will put our winter coats on us, but that helps when we are standing and being petted by hoomans!   Plusalso in the afternoon we will be going to Miss Nichole's house for the week.

Momma and Daddy were supposed to be in Maui right now, but insted they are going to a seclooded cabin in the Blue Ridge Mountains on Sunnyday.   It is right on a riber, so there will be water.  Knot the Pacific oshun, but at least they will be by the water!  1-barque.gif

I will try to tic tic tomorrow before we leabe!

Ivy, going on a bacation

three girls fall halo

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Lila, I'll bet that Fork is related!!  A cousin, maybe??  Mommy didn't have one of those, what a neat implement.  Would take the place of a lot of gadgets.  

Miss Susan, thank you, those are nice pics of Battle and the other Hounds.  He looked so sweet in the ring.  The judge was rushing you, wasn't she, didn't give you time to set.  

Miss Noo Carol

Momma has one of those food mills with the screwing type handle she gotted from her Gramma.  She uses it with tomaytoes and the one time she tried applesauce many years ago!!

Have a nice vaycayshun Miss Kathy and Mister Jim!!

Miss Patsy  :kiss2

Momma needs help deciding.  :rolleyes:   I tolded you I think she wants to have our frunt yard redone.  It's small - like 20 x 30 feets - but it's so overgrowed and weedy and jungle-y that it's just too much for her alone.   So she got some estimates.  One from the nice, big, established company that did it before.  And one from a small, independent, small business owner place with good reviews from Angie's List.  She can pay for eether one, and they are both saying they'll do the same things, but the commercial place is twice as much as the little one, but she knows the commercial place and not the little one.

So, has anybody used a contractor from Angie's List before?  Should she just go with the cheaper one cause it's not really anything special just grunt work?  Inqwiring minds wanna know what you think!

Later gaters!!

:rivethead   Andipants 

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom

Hola!

Summer, you are beeeeeyoutiful! Dont let yer Mom imbarriss you.  Ob corse, the plasement......

Miss Kathy, Mom makes joolry fer hoomans an hounds.  She duznt hab as much in her shop as she sumthymes haz, but she is gonna make moore, an put moore in.  You can see the shop fru the link in her siggy, I beleeb, Miss Nancy.

We fink Widget is a lovely liddle guy.  Well rownded, si, and that is KNOT bad.

Oh, Miss Carol Ann is missin a fabroolus trip too. :(  An Miss Kathy wuz sposed to be in Maui. 

We are soooo sorry abowt yer knee, Miss Susan.

An WHY dint you get a greenie, Spirit???

Oh, Fancy, you are habbin a hard thyme!  So much responsibility is on yer fragile sholders.  We hope yer Mom is feelin moore bedder soon. We are sendin her hugs an nose kisses. :grouphug  We wood show the nose kisses, but Mom just made alla those imojis dissapeer.

Hmmm, Miss Chris, I dunno, I fink if its knot too speshul werk, I mite go wiff the smaller plase, mebbe good to frow werk to sumbuddy small too?

Miss Patsy, we fink it wood be rilly hard to be so much inna middel fer an oshun person. Sownds like you hab a bery happy life there inna middel, but si, sumthymes you just NEED to see the oshun.  But gettin away to a nise cabin wood be wellcome inna winter.

Laila Mariposa

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina, Kiva and Laila
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Summer, is that Mrs Beasley in your private area :rotfl

MissJennie... I am powering my way through  'If It Bleeds'..... but only in the daylight hours  Good idea :nod

:wave Everyone!

Miss Jennie

gallery_13080_2897_2816.jpg

Sending warm and loving hugs to all who have ever loved and lost an animal friend
Miss Jennifer, Hooman, Miss Luna, Gimme Pig, and Misser Neville, Hedgamahog
Hedgehog Welfare Society

That's all from here for today my Friendlies!

Kibble kisses and Buddy Bisket dreams!

NITEY NITE!!   :rivethead

:nappy   Andipants

:coffee

About to head out for my one hour morning walk whilst the dogs enjoy their post-breakfast nap.

Mr Ducky and I voted after waiting in line for an hour. There was pleasant chit chatting with others in line. We were alerted to check our paper ballot since a voter had seen a mark for a write-in candidate on hers. She alerted the on-site elections board manager. It wasn't a completely filled in mark, just a "J", but any mark outside the circles could invalidate a ballot.

Goinng to have a nice cool day with hopefully just enough of a breeze to keep any mosquitoes away whilst I do yard work.

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella), Lulu the podenco andaluz
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

We got our ballots in the mail yesterday :yay Gonna take 'em to the drop-in box today. WA has ONLY mail-in/drop-off voting; no lines for us!

She got it from the lubley Flour Museum nextdoor to Miss Jennie’s Minnyapples partmint. Oh, Lila, how I miss that Museum :(

Miss Jennie

Pee Ess - Miss Susan, I am dismayed that no one is helping your knee :angryfire

Edited by jenners

gallery_13080_2897_2816.jpg

Sending warm and loving hugs to all who have ever loved and lost an animal friend
Miss Jennifer, Hooman, Miss Luna, Gimme Pig, and Misser Neville, Hedgamahog
Hedgehog Welfare Society

We're back from playgroop!   There were sixteenlebendy houndies there and since it wuz chilly weather we ran and ran and ran!   We eben ran more than standing around getting petted by hoomans!   It is that crispy airs!   

The fabric boxes on wheels are coming out and our bery own bags are coming out too!   Momma habs lots and lots ob our fuds packed in fabric grocery bags and eben our treets!   Plusalso our blankets and  PJ's!   She says we will be leabing for Miss Nichole's house after our early afternoon walk.  Cherry and I will be there until negst Sattiday so will will miss negst week's playgroop!  :(    But Miss Nichole habs two houndies and a beeeeg fenced in yard so we will habs our own playgroop!

I will tic tic negst weekend so habs a gud week eberyone!

Ivy, trabeling houndie voiturecologic.gif

three girls fall halo

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

FancyPants!  I hab missed hearing from you, butt I know just who to blame.  :nod  Miss Cindy is knot alone in the struggling department.  Lots ob the Moms hab been whining and sighing and bemoaning.  We houndies are all busy holding owr fambilies together.  Nate is knot as useless a Paris and Zeke but almost.  I hope fings get better soon. :kiss2 

Miss Patsy, you make applesauce the way Ma's Grammy did!  :yay  Ma says there was a holding ob the cone shaped colander inside a big bowl.  :nod  Or a grandchild was called to hold.  :lol 
What and idjit that first husman was!  Fooled him and made a great life in ND! :confetti 

Lila, that Foley fork is real interesting looking.
I so hear you about da lack ob respect offered to owr venerable selves.  :bugeye  Ma just kept yapping about logic--she said that when I got my Greenoe Nate did KNOT get one,  and then when he got his Greenie I did knot get one, BUTT we bof got 1 Greenie.  I. DO. KNOT. CARE!.  Ma, I SAW you had him a Greenie and knot hand me one at the same time.  That is SO KNOT FAIR.
Now just a minute, buster.  You're maligning me unfairly!  You got a Grennie while Nate was outdoors.  THen Nate got a Greenie when he came in.  Each dog got a Greenie.  Fair.  Ma.
It was hilarious--Spirit was LIVID because he didn't get a second Greenie.  Staring.  Foot stomping,.  Glaring. Demanding.  If there were not an even number of Greenies in the bag, I would have given him another just to satisfy him. :blush 
Probably should have done that anyway.

Miss Chris, Ma has had reasonable luck wif Angie's List.  Good most ob the time.  Bad luck wif a handyman from there.  Did she get a good "feel" talking wif the independent place?  Day may be less costly on account ob less oberheads rather than on account ob shoddy werk.

Ivy, glad you could hab playgroup before you and Cherry were abandoned.  Hope you hab fun at camp and that the 'rents enjoy their trip.

Spirit

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, and Miles the slinky kitty (OSH).
Missing Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin) and Winston

Hello my Friendlies!

Cloudings this morning but sposed to have partly sunny this affernoon before getting more showerings overnite.  It's getting lots colder tho and Daddy turned on the hot air blower!!  :eek  

Mister Spirit Momma complains about having to be "even" giving out treats all the time.  :rolleyes:  Like we even care!!!  I just know if one of my sisters get something *I* better get something too!!!  (Lucy, most of the time you can give the complainer just about anything, as long as they get something at the same time!  ;) )

Have fun at camp Miss Ivy!!  And have a nice cabining Miss kathy and Mister Jim!!

Momma says  EVERYBODY VOTE!!!!!  :shakefinger   Whatever Momma!!!  :rolleyes:  Houndies do not get to vote!!!

Momma liked the smaller owner guy who came to give the estimate OK enuff - tho he didn't wear a mask - it's more that she prefers to work with compnees she knows rather than use somebody new.  But the cost saving is what she calls "significant."  So that's what she will probly do.  

Wishings for a superior Satidday for all my Friendlies!

BYE-EEE!!!   :rivethead

:P   Andipants

Oh, the Foley Fork is good for all kinds of stuff! I use it for cutting butter into flour, mixing up stuff like egg salad and meatloaf, scrambling eggs, creaming butter and sugar. It’s a multi-tasker!

Lucy, that is hilarious! And sounds much like Lila’s demanding her cheese pills and biscuit the other day.

Chris, if the savings is significant I’d go with the little guy. Is it anything that could get really messed up? I’ve found that the small, local, one-man kind of businesses have done a better job for me than the big ones. I think they tend to care more because it really is their livelihood on the line.

Well, I’m off to zoo boo. It’s 47 degrees and windy but at least the rain has stopped. Lila is snug in her bed.

Lila with tulips
Jerilyn, devoted Mistress to Lila (Good Looking)