Boot for a dislocated toe

smt

Bette has a dislocated toe, and of course, the injury occurred right before we left to go on our very first vacation in a year.  Luckily we were able to get her into the vet.  They took an x-ray to rule out a break, and wrapped her foot with instructions to keep it wrapped and no runs for a month to let the ligaments heal.  They gave us a plastic sleeve to put over the wrap for when she needs to go outside, or when she goes on a (very short) walk.  The sleeve is a PITA, and I am wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a fitted boot or something that we can slide over the wrapped foot that is a little more substantial and better fitting that the contraption the vet gave us.  Thanks in advance for any rec's.

In similar circumstances my vets have given me an old saline drip bag or so - these are nice thick plastic and big enough to slip over a bandaged paw. Cut the top off, then cut a row of five or six little slits an inch or so down, and thread through those something with a bit of give (they gave me some bandage I think, but strips cut from an old pair of tights also work) that you can tie in a bow when it's on. It's a bit clumsy but does work.

You could also try to find a paw boot made for a big dog with fatter paws than a greyhound. Would need to be pretty loose not to risk the bandage coming off too, when you take it off. That rules out those thin rubber "Pawz" things, too.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

13 hours ago, DocsDoctor said:

In similar circumstances my vets have given me an old saline drip bag or so - these are nice thick plastic and big enough to slip over a bandaged paw. Cut the top off, then cut a row of five or six little slits an inch or so down, and thread through those something with a bit of give (they gave me some bandage I think, but strips cut from an old pair of tights also work) that you can tie in a bow when it's on. It's a bit clumsy but does work.

The same here. Grace had the saline bag boot after she had her foot op. I used to put one of my old boot socks over the bag to give her a bit of grip.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

When Bea broke a front foot toe we tried splinting and/or wrapping it and being the brood she was, she was having none of either of those attempts. We left it alone and while that toe healed flat, it did heal, and the old girl wasn't bothered by it. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.