new Pro Plan formulas with probiotics

I haven't seen the new stuff show up yet in my autoship from Chewy.  It looks like the new formula that was previously Focus Large Breed is about 27 calories per cup less than the old formula.  Our girls do well on this food, so I'm hoping that continues. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

After thinking about it, I'm wondering if the new formula is already being packaged into the old style bags.  Both girls have gotten suspiciously "bunny soft" with the last 2 bags of food and no other changes. 

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like I have to reconsider and likely ditch the Pro Plan we have been using for now, as my dog who eats it has been put on a vet diet for serious GI problems status post rabies vaccination.  

She was PERFECT before the vaccine.   

On 10/13/2020 at 10:46 PM, Time4ANap said:

After thinking about it, I'm wondering if the new formula is already being packaged into the old style bags.  Both girls have gotten suspiciously "bunny soft" with the last 2 bags of food and no other changes. 

my mature dog got bunny soft in no time. i double checked all the calorie counts- i'm trying purina one(one of her breeders uses it w/o problems) which is 383 cal per cup vs. 460-80+ per cup. she is much happier being able to eat a full meal~ i think the purina focus savor is the same caloric count as one.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to my posts:  

It took us a week to to resolve my girl’s post rabies vaccination diarrhea, and another few weeks to get really decent stool, but she’s back on her regular pro plan kibble 40% of which is the new formula with probiotics and she’s doing great on the food.  

Kate's black shiny coat all of the sudden got flaky with no other changes.  We are monitoring for now and have made no changes just in case it's more weather related.  It finally cooled off here and is no longer reaching the 90's, so she is sunning herself outside more than she was.  She will be getting her annual bath soon with a good shampoo to address the flaking and go from there. It's not major, just noticeable. 

On 12/10/2020 at 7:34 PM, Time4ANap said:

Kate's black shiny coat all of the sudden got flaky with no other changes.  We are monitoring for now and have made no changes just in case it's more weather related.  It finally cooled off here and is no longer reaching the 90's, so she is sunning herself outside more than she was.  She will be getting her annual bath soon with a good shampoo to address the flaking and go from there. It's not major, just noticeable. 

for her annual bath try Pantene Pro V- the silicone in the shampoo is great for their coats. a friend who is a groomer told me about it. and they smell great and it's CHEAP!

3 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

for her annual bath try Pantene Pro V- the silicone in the shampoo is great for their coats. a friend who is a groomer told me about it. and they smell great and it's CHEAP!

Thanks! 

Hmmm...  Late to the party on this thread, but I've been using the ProPlan Sensitive (Salmon) right along with no issues whatsoever from my two that are on it.  I didn't even know there was a formula change controversy until a day or two ago.  :dunno  

There's a dialated cardiomyeopathy group on FB and one of their vets talked to Purina re this issue.  They've been gradually changing their formulas - adding probiotics and "re-balancing" the ingredients - for the last year or so.  This Purina vet assured the caller that they do significant testing, both lab and on dogs, to make sure the changes will be as benign as possible, and he was confident any issues were either transitory, or the result of increased scrutiny by owners due to just the fact they know there's been a change.

So.  :dunno 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

purina does more testing than most companies. beware the pro plan sensitive has gone up in calories as well. i just changed over to Purina One-shredded beef. 380 cal per cup and still getting great coats and muscle tone. For the life of me, i can't understand why purina is still producing a grain free food.

• 1 month later...

well- it's been a couple of months since i ordered a large bag of Purina Pro Sport. The new bag came- new recipe and the dogs won't touch it! Chewy was great, i gave them the serial # and they are replacing it with a bag from a different lot. if that doesn't work i'll get a total refund and try Pro Plan Sport- Beef. It's the only Pro Plan that doesn't have a change listed on their web site. 

I bite my tongue as i post this- i think the probiotics make it taste different!

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 6:00 AM, cleptogrey said:

:ohno I have never heard of this! I hope it'll help my Doberman, too!

1615264629_GreyTalkSignature(3).jpg.a7b6b720dfaa68415ff2b88c61e6bb72.jpg

Two furless kids, and Kota, the Doberman, cat littermates Kissy and Skully, and the chicken flock: Princess, Sunflower, Luna, Ember, Rose, Dolly, and Clementine.
Missing Rainbow Bridgers: Chase (J's Fear Not), Lulu (former coyote hunting puppy), and Skah (the deaf Great Pyrenees). Waiting on our next foster-fail Greyhound.

All animal pictures all the time at: instagram/greytpets

It's been about five years since I've had a Greyhound and I know dog food changes. We currently have a Doberman and she's on ProPlan Large Breed Sensitive Stomach. It's good to know I have a chance of this working with the incoming Greyhound. 

1615264629_GreyTalkSignature(3).jpg.a7b6b720dfaa68415ff2b88c61e6bb72.jpg

Two furless kids, and Kota, the Doberman, cat littermates Kissy and Skully, and the chicken flock: Princess, Sunflower, Luna, Ember, Rose, Dolly, and Clementine.
Missing Rainbow Bridgers: Chase (J's Fear Not), Lulu (former coyote hunting puppy), and Skah (the deaf Great Pyrenees). Waiting on our next foster-fail Greyhound.

All animal pictures all the time at: instagram/greytpets

My girls have been on Purina ProPlan focus for sensitive skin & stomach since 10/18 with no problems .  This winter I notice the bag was different & it now said probiotics. & it didnt say Focus. Daphne was ok with the new stuff but Bitzi my chow hound started to refuse her food no matter what I spiked it with. I called Chewy's they said  it was just a new bag no difference.  I also called Purina they said the same thing that Chewy's said. I told before the bag didnt say probiotics they said no it always had them.  I called Purina a 2nd time, not telling them I had already called they gave me the same answer. I emailed Purina asking the to write a answer but I never heard from them. I gave them a negative review about this change & of course they didnt publish that.  Bitzi is still picking at her food. 

gallery_19924_3574_6591.jpg

Caroline, Mom to Daphne (49B-50215) and Penny (41D-55779)
Remembering Bridge Angels Margo and Sabrina

7 hours ago, sabrina said:

My girls have been on Purina ProPlan focus for sensitive skin & stomach since 10/18 with no problems .  This winter I notice the bag was different & it now said probiotics. & it didnt say Focus. Daphne was ok with the new stuff but Bitzi my chow hound started to refuse her food no matter what I spiked it with. I called Chewy's they said  it was just a new bag no difference.  I also called Purina they said the same thing that Chewy's said. I told before the bag didnt say probiotics they said no it always had them.  I called Purina a 2nd time, not telling them I had already called they gave me the same answer. I emailed Purina asking the to write a answer but I never heard from them. I gave them a negative review about this change & of course they didnt publish that.  Bitzi is still picking at her food. 

I just received a bag of pro plan sport and the same thing happened. Purina said no problems with the lot. Chewy suggested another bag of the same food from a DIFFERENT LOT. No charge and if they still refused it a different food. Sometimes it can smell off ? Second bag was fine....go know? 

We just opened a bag of Focus and the kibble is a darker color, slightly larger and plumper, and seems to be crunchier/harder based on all of the noise the dogs are making while eating it.  I also don't see as many crumbs in the bag as usual. Both girls are chowing down on it like usual. 

A few days after starting this, both dogs have fur that feels like velvet.  There's definitely a difference in this kibble, but other than receiving one of the new style bags about 2 months ago, we are still receiving the older style bag. All bags came through Chewy, and most of them came through their Dc that is about 8 miles from our house, with one other bag having shipped here from Texas. Weird. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey so I thought I would chime in here, a bit late but some other may find this useful. 

I was feeding our big boy (88 lbs) pro plan sport. Which he seemed to like at first. I noticed many positive benefits, such as a nice hard stool, good coat etc. then I started to notice that his water intake had increased dramatically! He also started peeing for like 3 -4 minutes without stopping. Well I immediately thought something was wrong and we took him to the vet who did blood work and urine analysis only to find that he is in perfect health. As all of this was occurring our guy and the other dogs also started not wanting to eat the food anymore. you would give them a bowl and they would just look down at it and then up at me like "really?" Well turns out it was the food, we switched them back to the other pro plan formula they were eating and everything is back to normal. Well except for that toe nail he ripped off last night.....

Has anyone else here had a dog react to food in this way? 

J