Jump to content

Greyhound with awful coordination? Ran into me.


Recommended Posts

Hi, so I haven’t found anything about greyhounds with poor coordination but our Enzo is not so graceful.

We take him to a fenced baseball field on occasion to run off-leash and a handful of times he has ran into my boyfriend’s leg. Today he ran into my leg so hard that he knocked me over. He’s a BIG 85 lb greyhound/borzoi/little bit of Dutch Shepherd Lurcher. I’m not mad at him and I know he didn’t do it on purpose. He stopped and came over when he saw me on the ground like “mom what are you doing down there?”

I took the day off work just because of this headache I have now but was just wondering if anyone else has a hound that is as uncoordinated as mine? 😭

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you move when you see him coming? The reason that I ask is that if I stay exactly where I am, my greyhounds usually will not hit me, it's when I move that they run into me.  Usually mine will deflect right at the last minute and go right past me by inches.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaryJane said:

Do you move when you see him coming? The reason that I ask is that if I stay exactly where I am, my greyhounds usually will not hit me, it's when I move that they run into me.  Usually mine will deflect right at the last minute and go right past me by inches.

I agree with you completely, I never move. I “trust” his instincts and feel if I move out of the way last minute then he will definitely hit me...I stayed still today like I always do and he definitely ran into me 🙃. I guess I’m standing by the fence line from now on.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he young? Fletcher was quite the klutz when he was younger, he did get better as he got older, but he never quite nailed the “graceful greyhound”  thing :lol

I don’t mean a puppy, exactly. He was 2 when I got him, a 90lb racing school drop out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

Is he young? Fletcher was quite the klutz when he was younger, he did get better as he got older, but he never quite nailed the “graceful greyhound”  thing :lol

I don’t mean a puppy, exactly. He was 2 when I got him, a 90lb racing school drop out.

We’re not sure of his exact age since we got him from the humane society but we believe he is about 2 years old or so. Very much a puppy at times

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2020 at 4:20 PM, Testarossa said:

Hi, so I haven’t found anything about greyhounds with poor coordination but our Enzo is not so graceful.

We take him to a fenced baseball field on occasion to run off-leash and a handful of times he has ran into my boyfriend’s leg. Today he ran into my leg so hard that he knocked me over. He’s a BIG 85 lb greyhound/borzoi/little bit of Dutch Shepherd Lurcher. I’m not mad at him and I know he didn’t do it on purpose. He stopped and came over when he saw me on the ground like “mom what are you doing down there?”

I took the day off work just because of this headache I have now but was just wondering if anyone else has a hound that is as uncoordinated as mine? 😭

I have one of those! My older greyhound, far more delicately built, is so nimble and almost never bumps into anything but my three year old has been clumsy since I adopted him at 1. His balance in his hind legs is not great, he misjudges distance so that when he comes to me I get a nose smashing into me, he’s forever cut and grazed by side swiping shrubs in the garden, he knocks his head and his ankles on furniture. He’s been checked out. No physical defects bone or muscle wise. He must have missed out  on the stage of learning body awareness. He’s a rescue so maybe he was either malnourished or kept in a confined space as a pup. Maybe there’s a spot in his brain not quite up to par. Who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been taken out by my whippets like this. On the rare occasions either of my current two, retired racing greyhound and whippet lurcher, are running loose I stand in at the side of the path so that they have plenty of room to run past me and I have some protection on one side to push them away from me.:gh_run

Miss "England" Carol with Chancey - (Goosetree Chance) and whippet lurcher Nutmeg

R.I.P. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Felix has knocked me down numerous!times. Once on a recall at school. I learned to run into him as he approached. 

My whippets have all run just a tad too close and knocked me over. That includes the 6 month old. 

A friend's leg was hit the wrong way. Rushed to the hospital at a coursing meet. 6 months in rehab due to a bad break! Needless to say she was in her 70s at the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...