Trancing Greyhounds

First time greyhound parent here! I'd done a ton of research and reading when we first decided to adopt a greyhound, and I never read anything about trancing (aka weed walking or ghost walking). We've had Zula for just about two months now, and there are a couple different bushes on our usual walking routes where she loves to trance. The first time we saw it, we thought she had gone into prey mode! Now it's just an amusing stop during our walks.

Does anyone know how common this is among greyhounds? It seems like greyhounds are one of the breeds where trancing is more common, but I was surprised that I'd never heard about it until I looked it up.

It's not uncommon, but I think many people don't know about it.  Out of the 11 greys we've had only one was a habitual trancer.  She would walk through her bushes every day for 15 or 20 minutes until she was close to 11 years old.  Then the frequency started dropping off.  I always wondered if it was due to her nerves not being as sensitive.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Logan trances in those ornamental grass bushes. Not sure the variety, but there are probably a dozen houses on our walking routes that have them, they are belt-height to shoulder-height or so. He won't stop at them all, but occasionally does and may trance for a few minutes. He would probably go longer but I tend to get bored and urge him along (but he is stubborn about it).  

I don't recall Max ever trancing, so based on my huge database of two greyhounds about 50% of them trance occasionally :-)

Rob
Logan (April 7, 2010 - July 9, 2023) - LoganMaxicon15K.jpg - Max (August 4, 2004 - January 11, 2018)

Aiden also trances in the ornamental grasses, and of 20 campers he is the only who has been a trancer. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Out of 7 greys.  I had one trancer.  Fuzzy was a super slo mo trancer.  You had to watch close to make sure that he was moving.  He tranced around our artificial ficus tree.  When we moved, we took it with us.  It was Fuzzy's tree!  If I could figure out how to post a picture, I could show you.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Dear Scout would trance next to nandina bushes.  If I hadn't read about it previously, I would have thought he was having some slow-motion seizure activity.  Milo has recently begun what I call semi-trancing.  He stands in front of me, facing right, and I am supposed to lightly trace my fingers over his hipbone.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Poppy, my saluki x lurcher,  off the leash in our Apt. complex's enclosed garden, would head straight for a weeping willow and circle around it, letting the hanging bits scrub her, and not particularly slowly, of a few minutes with a look of bliss on her. Only once per outing. We had a blind man who moved into one of the flats who complained about the hanging bits, so the management trimmed the branches to head height. He moved on a year or two later, the branches grew back and when they touched Poppy's back again she was back in heaven. We had to move 2 years ago, no more weeping willows on our walks. No more bushy back scrubs. She now insists on me scritching, while she stands, her back from head to tail along her spine every evening, accompanied by her bum twerking happily throughout.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Chancey does this most days up against the Leylandii hedge in the back garden and will do the same on Leylandii and other hedges when out walking.:dunno

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.