Nocturnal Greyhound

Meredith

We adopted Meredith about 2.5 years ago. She is a broodie, and is almost 11 years old. 

Meredith has always been an amazing sleeper, day and night. The past two weeks that has changed entirely. 

Meredith now wakes up pretty much every hour the entire night. She gets up and digs on her bed and paces the room over and over and over. When you say her name she gets back in bed to lay down until the next round of pacing.

She is not hungry. She doesn't need to go outside for the bathroom. She could always use more exercise (can't we all?), but she doesn't like taking walks for more than 5-10 minutes at a time. There isn't anything going on in the house or neighborhood that should keep her up.

All behavior in the daytime is unchanged. Trying to solve this without medication. But we need sleep! Any suggestions greatly appreciated!

Katie and Meredith Grey(hound).

Definitely try a blanket or a lightweight house coat.  Houndtime.com has flannel housecoats that are perfect for in the house when the hound is chilly. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

:nod   :nod  :nod

As they age they do tend to feel the cold more.  We've not even had a hard frost yet and Nigel needs his fleece on overnight.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

"Dogs and people with dementia often suffer from disturbances in their sleep-wake cycles. Those affected by "sundowning" sleep more during the day and remain awake, disoriented, and agitated throughout the night. Human patients with cognitive impairment become easily confused and are prone to becoming lost, while a dog with dementia may pace or wander out of the yard. These circumstances account for why people and pets with dementia must not be left unattended, especially in unfamiliar places. Dog parents must take extra precautions to ensure that their pet always has proper identification and is not able to accidentally escape from the home or property."

Thanks for the diagnosis. 

No excuses for my mental health but  How silly of me to think I stay up late and sleep during the day as I spent 35 years bartending and being a cocktail waitress from the Gusher lounge at the Holiday Inn in Ardmore, OK  
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g29976-d3195803-Reviews-Gusher_Lounge-Ardmore_Oklahoma.html
to 5 star hotels in Illinois..  Texas bars close at 2 a.m.. but in Chicago they can get a permit to stay open until 4 (5 on Saturday)  By the time we'd check out it was often 5 or later.  The good thing was that all the bartenders would sign up for 5 or 6  a.m. tee times at the public golf courses with no problem. :)  We were also known to get  beer and sit on the curb for two hours between 5 and 7 a,m,. until Rossi's opened again.  
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g35805-d4731627-Reviews-Rossi_s_Liquors-Chicago_Illinois.html

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

1 hour ago, Beachbum1 said:

"Dogs and people with dementia often suffer from disturbances in their sleep-wake cycles. Those affected by "sundowning" sleep more during the day and remain awake, disoriented, and agitated throughout the night. Human patients with cognitive impairment become easily confused and are prone to becoming lost, while a dog with dementia may pace or wander out of the yard. These circumstances account for why people and pets with dementia must not be left unattended, especially in unfamiliar places. Dog parents must take extra precautions to ensure that their pet always has proper identification and is not able to accidentally escape from the home or property."

Talk to your vet. Senalife might help, might not. It sounds like dimentia It affects your quality of life more than her's. 

Hi there. I'm sorry about Meredith. I live in the upper Midwest and I ALWAYS cover my hounds at night w/lightweight blankies/throws from fall through spring. Sometimes they get hot and rearrange in their dog beds but I believe older dogs appreciate the added warmth.

Also I adopted a senior hound a number of years ago, but sadly after his two senior houndmates passed away, he was EXTREMELY distressed and I realized didn't hear all that well. Then there were a few consecutive weekends where he was up ALL NIGHT until dawn. Crying, panting, pacing (probably sundowning) -- it was heartbreaking. He was 13. So I finally had to say goodbye. He was so distraught.

I would start with a blankie or coat and go from there. Good luck!

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Definitely time for a vet visit to discuss canine cognitive disfunction.  It can come on gradually or suddenly, and can be very scary for everyone.

Pam -   :rolleyes:  -  I'm pretty sure the diagnosis quote was for the OP and not aimed at you.  :rolleyes: 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

As Meredith is a senior, in addition to the suggestions above she might also be experiencing pain somewhere and can't find a way to get comfortable. Good luck with your sweet girl, please let us know how she's doing!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.