Lumps and bumps on spine

Hi, 

Our lovely grey Skelly is 5 years old and we've had her for about 4 months. When she arrived she had a little lump on her back thigh. We took her to the vet and she was put on some steroids/antibiotics and the lump reduced considerably in size. We were told to just keep an eye on it and it has now almost completely dissapeared. However she has gotten two new lumps on her back, they are like perfect little raised hard circles and a little smaller than a pea. She doesn't have any discomfort when I touch them and doesn't even seem to have noticed them. Does anyone have any idea what they might be before I rush her back to the vet? 

Thanks, 

Amrutha

Could they be sebaceous cysts? I can recall Doc having these occasionally. There is a summary of the various kinds of skin lumps and bumps dogs can get here; seems pretty comprehensive, and helpful, even if it is on a dog food manufacturing website not a veterinary one!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

DocsDoctor has provided you with a good list. You can Google for photos of each, but be warned you'll see some scary stuff.

Can you post a photo for us? Are the bumps covered by fur? Any redness or bleeding?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

1 hour ago, DocsDoctor said:

Could they be sebaceous cysts? I can recall Doc having these occasionally. There is a summary of the various kinds of skin lumps and bumps dogs can get here; seems pretty comprehensive, and helpful, even if it is on a dog food manufacturing website not a veterinary one!

Thanks for sharing! It could potentially be a sebaceous cyst or maybe a histiocytoma based on the descriptions. I'll try and see if I can find some images to match it to what Skelly has.  

1 hour ago, macoduck said:

DocsDoctor has provided you with a good list. You can Google for photos of each, but be warned you'll see some scary stuff.

Can you post a photo for us? Are the bumps covered by fur? Any redness or bleeding?

Thanks for sharing! I've added a photo (unfortunately the quality is not that great as there is a size limitation to attachments.) The lump isn't bleeding, no redness and doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort or itching. She is a light brindle so she has quite a few speckled egg spots on her skin in general. There is no hair on the lump either. She is very prone to skin tags so I'm not sure if this is related to that somehow? The lump is hard but i can move it around quite freely. 

20200919_122105_resize_64.jpg

Edited by SkellysPet

Your photo looks like a sebaceous cyst.  Certainly keep an eye on them but don't try to squeeze any goo out.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I think it looks like a sebaceous cyst too. Don't squeeze, as Macoduck says, but I don't think it would hurt to try applying a warm damp compress (a wrung-out flannel or similar) for a few minutes, maybe several days running, to see if that encourages it to open up and drain. And/or to try dabbing on a little witch hazel, using a ball of cotton wool.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.