Feeding dry kibble AND raw meat together - okay or not???

GreyKnight

I'm confused.  The local pet store owner told me yesterday that I shouldn't feed raw meat AND kibble together.  I looked it up and indeed many websites say that because of the starch in kibble it changes the acid content of the stomach and can mean that harmful bacteria in raw meat isn't neutralised.  However, I then look at the website for the RSPCA which is the UK's main animal welfare charity and on its greyhound adoption page it specifically says:-

What should I feed my adopted greyhound?

To avoid gastric upsets, it is best to continue feeding the diet offered in the adoption centre and gradually transition to a new diet over 7-10 days, if this is the intention. A good combination is high quality kibble (approx. 2 cups) and fresh human-grade meat (approx. 500g) halved to provide 2 meals per day. Alternatively, 250g of chicken necks, wings and frames could be given for breakfast with 11/2 – 2 cups of kibble and 250g of meat for dinner. This provides variety with vegetables or rice added to further maintain interest.

So what is correct?  Am I okay to put meat in my greyhound's kibble or not???  He doesn't really like the kibble without some real meat taste.

The “don’t mix kibble and raw” is a myth. Racing kennels, at least here in the US, feed a mix of raw meat, cooked veg and/or grain, and kibble. Sounds like the UK kennels do as well. I have fed mostly raw with 7 greyhounds over 17+ years, sometimes mixing raw and kibble, with no problems, even with my IBS dog who could not eat plain kibble at all. If your dog likes his add ins, go right ahead :D

I have been feeding raw and kibble for years with no problems at all.

My guys get raw in the morning - sometimes I also toss in a bit of kibble - and kibble for supper.   

Edited by BatterseaBrindl

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Mine get any of - raw pet mince (from my local butcher), tinned dog food, cooked packet dog food, leftovers from my meals, frozen raw dog foods (defrosted) or anything else that’s going, mixed in with their dried food. I like to give them a different taste to their dried food to keep it interesting for them and I haven’t had any complaints yet!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

On 9/13/2020 at 12:16 PM, Remolacha said:

The “don’t mix kibble and raw” is a myth. Racing kennels, at least here in the US, feed a mix of raw meat, cooked veg and/or grain, and kibble. Sounds like the UK kennels do as well. I have fed mostly raw with 7 greyhounds over 17+ years, sometimes mixing raw and kibble, with no problems, even with my IBS dog who could not eat plain kibble at all. If your dog likes his add ins, go right ahead :D

"The “don’t mix kibble and raw” is a myth." THIS!!!!! It can't be said any better than this. It is perfectly OK to feed both together. I feed like Remolacha, also for many years, without any issues.