Foster dogs are intermittently peeing and pooping in the house

smt

I am asking this on behalf of my sister, who is fostering 2 bonded brothers who have never been separated and just turned 3.  She has had them 5 weeks today.  They have not soiled their crate, and do not mark inside, but will occasionally pee or poop in the house.  Each boy has done each 2-3 times over the past 5 weeks.  She keeps them belly banded almost all of the time now, and tries to take them out frequently.  She is waiting on her yard to get fenced, which will help a lot, but in the meantime, she has to leash them up to get them outside.  One of the boys will sneak up to the bonus room to poop.  Another will pee in his belly band while my sis is getting them leashed to go outside.  She puts a baby diaper inside the band, which collects the urine, so that is helpful.  Im just wondering if there are tips for how to get them passed these potty training issues.  It seems like they are 90% there.  We just want them to be at 100%.  Given that they can hold it all night and up to 8 hours a day in their crate, what does she need to be doing to get them to learn that inside of the house is NOT for pottying?!?  I'll confess, part of my motivation for helping her to get this figured out is that I want her to adopt them, and I think she would not even hesitate to sign the paperwork if she did not have to worry about this.   She is pretty attached to them, but two 70 pound boys who pee and poop in her new house in no bueno.

Here's some pics of the boys.  Meet Step On It, with the white tipped nose, and Sneak A Peak with the little white mark on his forehead.  As you can see, they are very happy kiddo's.  They are very smiley and jovial . . . and mischievous at times . . .119363119_3508708219181914_7820452093541119218654_3508708109181925_7392320636995119433043_3508708149181921_1343891246137

119470269_3508708012515268_1767543973135

Have them tested for parasites and UTI first.  Especially if they came off a farm recently or from anyplace in the Southeast US.

Once you eliminate a medical issue you can move on to behavioral.  Dogs have to go potty when they first wake up, after they eat, after they are active/playing.  Putting them on a strict daily schedule will help, and then monitor them closely.  Since she's leash walking them she may need to become adept at doing potties with both at the same time, so the second one doesn't have a chance to go inside while she's out with the first.

I might also suggest a temporarily set up potty area - with cattle panels, welded wire fencing, snow fencing, or even a few 4-5 ft xpens can make a sufficiant loose potty space.  The fencing should be very well secured, to say the least, and they should always be supervised when outside.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

On 9/12/2020 at 8:15 PM, greysmom said:

Have them tested for parasites and UTI first.  Especially if they came off a farm recently or from anyplace in the Southeast US.

Once you eliminate a medical issue you can move on to behavioral.  Dogs have to go potty when they first wake up, after they eat, after they are active/playing.  Putting them on a strict daily schedule will help, and then monitor them closely.  Since she's leash walking them she may need to become adept at doing potties with both at the same time, so the second one doesn't have a chance to go inside while she's out with the first.

I might also suggest a temporarily set up potty area - with cattle panels, welded wire fencing, snow fencing, or even a few 4-5 ft xpens can make a sufficiant loose potty space.  The fencing should be very well secured, to say the least, and they should always be supervised when outside.

They both are positive for hooks, so that's a definite yes for parasites, and are being treated for those per the latest protocol.  Not sure on the UTI.  I would think they would be peeing in the house a lot more if that were the case, but we can certainly check that out.  I really think its behavioral.  They are on a strict schedule, and she already takes them out at the same time.  The timeline on the new fence going in is (fingers crossed) by the end of the month.  She has started taking small treats out and offering them every time they pee/poop outside.  And she is trying to keep her eyes on them all the time, but that's not always possible.  We are hopeful that with time, and everything else she is doing, that it will click for them and they will get it.  Has that been the case for others who struggled at first with potty issues?  They have only been off the track for 6 weeks, so it is still early days.