Testing trying to be boss over our other greyhounds

We have a new greyhound boy to my pack. We adopted him and a girl in July. We have 7 greyhounds and they get along well. The new boy wants to be the alpha and has an issue once with my alpha girl. She backed down and in the scuffle he bit her it was a crowded area in the hall. Been ok he’s better about space issues he is making progress. When my Lucy walks past him as he is laying on the ground she turned to look at him nothing more. 
I hope they don’t hold grudges as I was hoping to let him stay outside the crate when we go somewhere or at night when we sleep. 

If you have 7 dogs you have a pretty large pack, especially when they are all inside in a relatively closed in space and they have limited places to go to get away from each other.  It's a question of pack dynamics and management of a larger colony of dogs.  You went from a stable pack of 5 and introduced two new dogs at the same time, so there's bound to be upset and juggling of order and seniority.  This could go on for some months.

We've had as many as 6 at once, and it does take some real management to make *sure* every dog in your pack stays safe in their own home.  If the new boy has space issues and is continuing to express them, he needs to remain isolated from the rest when you're not there to supervise - whether that's leaving the house or going to bed.  With a pack that large we also muzzle *everyone* every time they are alone.  It only takes a little squabble to turn into a tragedy.

Better safe than sorry.  Always.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

We have always 5-8 greyhounds in our house. We have a large house large fenced acreage. We have had peaceful pack. 
I put the two newest in their crates when I leave the house. We supervise them when home. We don’t leave Lucy our big girl alone with a the new boy. They stand next to each other fine. 
The new greyhound boy will let the others including Lucy walk over him and by him. 
My Lucy walks away from any possible confrontation. She was spayed last year and somehow her tail is damaged she can’t wag it or use it to communicate to the other dogs.  The new boy will have to learn from her posture and her looks. 

I am starting to walk the two together. I make sure all treats are given first to Lucy and others he is last.  He will have to learn his place in the pack. He was neutered two months ago. 

Needed additional ideas to help them acclimate.  

It can take up to six months for all the hormones to get out of their systems post-neutering.  Some dogs handle this transition better than others.  It sounds like you have a good plan in place, now you just have to give it time to work.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly