Open Bag of Kibble

FiveRoooooers

Our Chewy order arrived today. In the box was a case of cans (12) and a 30# bag of kibble. The bag had an ~ 4-5" tear in the front of it and about 1/4 cup of kibble had spilled, which could have happened when I picked up the box. What do you think, use or toss the kibble? 

I have to say, again, how great Chewy is. They were totally apologetic and wrote a new order that has already shipped.

TIA.

edited for clarity: the spillage could have happened when the box was picked up. I am quite sure that I wasn't the cause of the rip. And, it shipped on Weds and arrived today, so, not long in transit. 

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I would toss.  No telling how long the rip had been in the bag.  The food may be spoiled or other creepy crawlers could be lurking. 

Glad the company is taking responsibility. 

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

Hmmmm.....

Was the loose kibble still inside the box?   

Where did the package originate from?   Someplace hot/wet/humid?

Nice they're sending a new bag but I'd probably inspect it very closely for bugs and then use it, as long as it had not gotten wet.  

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

To me, being ripped inside the shipping box means it probably already had a tear in it that the warehouse didn't catch. It's probably not a major problem since all of those torn bags that they do catch end up at animal shelters around the country and get used all the time. I'd say that unless it smells off or rancid, or has detectable bugs, it is probably fine given the short transit time.  Some of the manufacturers also print the actual production date on the bag - if you have that it will give you an idea of how long the bag may have been open and exposed to air. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

If it was inside a box with a flat of canned food it's likely that's how the tear happened in transit.  I'd check it out thoroughly and use it. 

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Unless there was a risk of it being tampered with, which sounds unlikely, and the contents look OK, I would use it, I’ve had  bags delivered with only small tears. 
I appreciate we want the best for our dogs but considering they eat cow poo, horse poo, cat poo, each other’s poo and Lord knows what else , usually with very little problem, a torn bag of kibble is pretty low on my list of concerns.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.