Tips and Help for aging Greyhounds

Hello fellow Greyhound lovers. I have 2 Greyhounds, retired racers, same age 8 years old, and I just have to say I love them dearly. My first dogs and they have been life changing and inspiring. Such beautiful mild tempered dogs, I love the breed. I have a question for fellow owners that may have tips or suggestions for aging Greyhounds. My Greys are 8 years old and just now are starting to have joint problems, joint stiffness etc.. We have been giving them Glucosamine treats to help and fish oil. They have had some success. I'm just wondering if there is a supplement I could be giving them to help relieve their joint stiffness. A friend suggested adding fish to their food, fish like unsalted sardines. So we've been giving that a try over the last week, adding a small portion of unsalted sardine in their food. They seem to really like it and improves their appetite. Not sure if this is a sure remedy.Maybe someone can offer their experience. I just love my dogs very much. They are so much more than just pets, they are family. :) Hope someone could offer some suggestions because I'm willing to do just about anything for their well being. Thank you

8 is not that old but old enough to make sure you keep their weight down. extra weight is extra stress on bones and joints. there are a ton of easy to administer supplements out there. everyone finds their favorite. prior to starting Metacam for felix when he was 9 and showing arthritis(and he never ran at the track) i liked Nupro which has both coat and joint goodies in it. had purchased dasaquin +/cosaquin as recommended by the vet- no difference. and thinking back there wasn't that much improvement  joint wise with anything. Bright Minds by Purina is an excellent senior food- you might give that a whirl. 

let the list of supplements begin- but keep up the exercise and activity. those two things are essential.

Regular exercise and supplements are important, I agree. So too is keeping them warm, and letting them lie soft - i.e. cosy supportive beds, out of draughts. Plus a housecoat or greyhound pyjamas maybe for winter nights, if your heating goes off then.

Glad they are enjoying the sardines :chow  Other kinds of oily fish will be popular and helpful, too.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Thank you for the tips! :) Our male dog sometimes lies on the hardwood floors which I try not to let him do because it's cold and hard, I was kinda thinking the same thing. I got him a new big fluffy bed and our female sleeps on the couch. Couch potato lol But they do have little fleece spring sweaters, maybe I should be putting them on at night when it gets cooler, good idea! :)  Oh and they love the fish, seems to stimulate their appetite. So maybe a tip for other Greyhound owners who are having trouble with appetite. Our female will sometimes not eat for a day or so but since the fish, she eats all her food at every meal. So will continue will the oily type fish.