Preventing escape through gaps in fence

Doglover

Hello, We have purchased a new home with a Texas Metal fence,, which looks like this: https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdx/4-ft-texas-metal-gate-pvcf1016.html

We are planning to adopt a greyhound, and one of the adoption groups said that a dog may be able to squeeze through the ballisters (which are only 4 inches apart, so I was a bit skeptical).  In your experience, can a 75 lb greyhound squeeze through a fence like this?  If so, do you think that a puppy bumper pillow around the neck would keep a dog from squeezing through?  See links below for visuals (and a video in the second link).  Thanks for your help.  

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/fa/83/7bfa834a5786b554de2bcaf035a89cab.jpg  

Well, he can also jump over it so I don't think the dog will bother trying to squeeze through a 4 inch gap when he can leap over the top in a single bound. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Just because it hasn’t jumped the fence in its current home doesn’t mean it won’t be over that like a shot if it sees something it wants to chase. A minimum of 5ft and preferably 6ft high is my choice, having seen the wounds on a greyhound bitch who tried jumping out of her kennel.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

I have a 4-foot wooden fence in my front yard with gaps similar to those. Sheba has never jumped the fence (maybe because there's no grass and only stepping stones and river rock so she can't get in a good sprint). What has happened, though, is she has from time to time put her head through a gap and lost her collar backing out. Has happened to other greys I've had as guests too. I doubt if a hound could squeeze through a gap but the head will fit so be careful of choking if it gets stuck.

You could put netting on the railings to stop heads going through. If it was black nylon netting, the same as used to keep fish safe in ponds, you wouldn't see it from a distance.

When I went to choose a greyhound there was a large brindle male in the kennel next door to Grace's that was doing standing vertical jumps and his feet were coming three to four feet off the ground so a five foot fence with a run up would be no problem. But greyhounds are not known for their escapology (there are exceptions) but if they want to chase something or are frightened then they'll go for it.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

stay out in the yard with your pup in the beginning. i've had known  jumpers who for some reason never jumped my  fence(4 ft in the front, that is all we are allowed in a front yard). if they looked like they might be thinking about it i verbally corrected them and called them back for a treat. a high value treat is better than roaming the streets so they thought. if your dog is a jumper you will know immediately. the 6 ft turkey wire(don't even think about 5ft) on the interior of your fencing should be attached with zip ties. from the street it will look like your original fencing, the turkey wire goes away. i seriously doubt they can squeeze thru the fencing unless you have an italian greyhound!! 

Hi Cleptogrey,

I don't think the HOA will accept the turkey or deer fencing, so I was looking for alternatives to that.   If I understand you correctly, you are saying that you start with the 6ft turkey wire and then remove it once you're confident the dog won't jump.  Is that right? 

Thanks,

Doglover

Another option is to plant bushes inside the fence line. A. To mask the view of things to chase and B. To make it more difficult to jump over. My back garden fencing is only 3ft wire mesh but I have prickly Holly, Berberis and Pyracantha and Leylandii hedging all round. Deters unwanted people too!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

22 minutes ago, Banjoman said:

Another option is to plant bushes inside the fence line. A. To mask the view of things to chase and B. To make it more difficult to jump over. My back garden fencing is only 3ft wire mesh but I have prickly Holly, Berberis and Pyracantha and Leylandii hedging all round. Deters unwanted people too!

That's a great suggestion, Banjoman.  Thanks so much. 

I have had 4 ft fences with greyhounds for 20 years and they have never tried to jump the fence.  I have 3 ft. green storm fencing separating the yard from the patio and grassy areas and they have never budged that fence either.  I think you have to know and watch your dogs.  We always go out with them; in all kinds of weather.  I wouldn't swear that it is 100% safe as stuff happens.  We can't keep our doggies in a padded room, either.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I would be more worried about a dog getting his head stuck or his collar caught that I would about squeezing through, so I would not allow him to be in the backyard unsupervised, probably ever.  That being said, some greyhounds are *very* slight.  You'll just have to see how wide your new boy is.  Carol's suggestion of some nice hedging is a good one - it gives you a visual and a physical barrier, and your HOA will probably accept it easier.  They probably have a list of accepted bushes, so do check in with them before doing a bunch of work.

FWIW, we had a run of 3 ft welded wire fencing separating our yard from the neighbors for many years, and neither our Great Danes or Greyhounds ever tried to jump it, even with cats on the other side.  Mine are never outside alone though so we can nip any jumping tendencies in the bud.  That fence has now been replaced by 4 ft wooden privacy fencing.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I personally wouldn't worry about how wide the space is between. I don't foresee an adult getting through them.

But since a group you may be working with has brought it up as a concern, be willing to work with it if needed or work with a different group. Leash walk the yard a few times and don't leave the dog unattended until you see they aren't going to get themselves into trouble with the fence. Maybe hit up your HOA for what they would approve to work with the existing fence. Bird netting - https://www.amazon.com/Netting-Protection-Reusable-Protective-Against/dp/B07SZ1H698/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bird+netting&qid=1598471829&sr=8-6; plantings; deer netting/fence that is a bit stronger than bird netting I think - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Tenax-Actual-100-ft-x-7-ft-Net-Folded-Black-Polypropylene-Extruded-Mesh-Rolled-Fencing/3458958

But since there is a HOA to contend with, run stuff by them or ask what would be allowed before you even get too far thinking about it.

My sister had fencing like that. Only one dog went through it, a staghound puppy I referred to as my 2 dimensional dog. The greys couldn’t go through it & my greys gave all been on the small side. I would recommend the black plastic netting suggested by others. It would be a very easy add on. It only needs to be 36” high to serve the purpose. That would put everyone’s mind at ease & prevent the possibility of a dog getting us head stuck. 

In 15 years, none of my greys has jumped our 4 ft fence. The only dog that has was a lurcher who was mostly Tazi. Any of our greys were more than capable of jumping the fence. They’ve just never choosen to do so.