Satin Balls to add weight?

smt

Hello, my sis is fostering 2 GH boys, and both are pretty underweight, one more so than the other.  To get them back to their race weight, one needs to gain 5 pounds and one needs to gain 15.  The latter is the one who is obviously more in need of calories.  Both are hook positive, which makes this even harder.  Our foster rep recommended upping their food intake to 6 cups of kibble and satin balls.  She is adding 2 satin balls (2 inch diameter) to the super skinny ones meals (for a total of 4 satin balls a day), and the other is getting 2 satin balls added.  My question is how long will it take before we start to see some weight added on to these boys?  My sis works all day, so a mid day meal is not possible.  

i would go with a simple good kibble and rice. purina pro plan sport is excellent and i've used it to help get weight on after a dog was ill. canned dog food also has calories and rice(carbs)

why are these dogs so thin? is there a medical issue, have they been check by a vet? (blood/thyroid/fecal workup)15 pounds is what often a dying hound(kidney disease) looses when the kidneys are not working and they are not processing food or have this unfortunate pups been in an abusive situation?

It's a bit unclear why they have lost so much weight.  One theory is hookworms, one theory is not enough calories.  They had bloodwork done recently and nothing showed up.  Our hope is that by adding calories, they will put there weight back on that was recently lost.  Because they are in foster care, the group would have to approve a change of kibble, and right now, the plan is to stick with the foster kibble and add satin balls.  

1 minute ago, smt said:

It's a bit unclear why they have lost so much weight.  One theory is hookworms, one theory is not enough calories.  They had bloodwork done recently and nothing showed up.  Our hope is that by adding calories, they will put there weight back on that was recently lost.  Because they are in foster care, the group would have to approve a change of kibble, and right now, the plan is to stick with the foster kibble and add satin balls.  

Also, while I have not laid eyes on them since they entered foster care over the past weekend, my sis says she thinks look like they have added a little weight.  She does not have a scale at her house to actually track their weight.  I will see them this weekend, and with fresh eyes, so I will hopefully notice them beginning to fill out a little more, too.