Spook vs. Acclimation (please help)

Hey everyone, 

I posted on here once before about my greyhound’s fear issues, but I could use some more advice (everyone was extremely helpful who commented on the other post). I was out on a walk with my greyhound last night who’ve I had for about 3 weeks now. He was doing ok, still quite hesitant and “statuing” when we got to certain places. Everything was normal and I was back across the street from my house when really it all went wrong. He saw a super sweet black lab (who he’s seen about 4 times before) but this time he lost it and bolted backwards and pulled me to the ground twice. I hit my head on the pavement twice and I’m almost certain I have a concussion (going to doc today), and I have bruises and cuts all along my left side. He has a few small cuts on him but he is ok too. He got out of his collar, but some how I miraculously got him back. He’s so scared of absolutely everything and as a first time dog owner I’m just not sure what to do. Is this normal for a greyhound acclimating to a new home? Thank you very much for any feedback you might have. 

:o   Sorry this has happened.  Hope you don't have a concussion and recover quickly.

So glad you were able to catch him quickly! 

Don't forget...everything in his life has been turned upside down and he has never seen any other breed of dog.

So..was he bolting back because he was frightened of the Lab?   Cowering?

Or dragging you towards the other dog? 

Was he barking? Growling? 

Was it a martingale collar...maybe adjusted a bit too loosely?   If it was just a simple buckle collar you need to invest in a martingale collar ..or 2 or 3 or 4 ! 

For safety reasons now, you should get him a harness and clip the leash onto it. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Hi BatterseaBrindl,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it was the martingale that the adoption center gave to me when I got him... I thought I tightened it enough because I know he’s scared but I guess not. He did bolt backwards, but it was unexpected because he did walk towards the lab initially and let it approach him. He’s always kind of just ignored other dogs too so I didn’t foresee this coming. He did yelp a bit too. Just not 100% what to do because now I’m scared to take him on walks. 

How frightening.  I'd second the use of a harness rather than a martingale for this hound. I think that with a panicked dog the risk of pulling out of a martingale is too great and the harness will prevent that from happening again.  I've had 4 Greys and your hound's reaction seems more than a bit over the top for acclimation/adjusting.  I'd suspect that you are dealing with at least a timid, fearful dog and perhaps with a true spook.  

I'm hoping the more experienced folks will chime in here with better advice than I can offer.  

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

IMO, the difference between a true "spook" greyhound and just a very anxious one, is that a spook can't calm themself down one they get to a heightened state of anxiety.  Something is just off with their brain chemistry and it just keeps spiralling out of control.  Instead of him getting used to things, they remain super scary, and his body just won't let him relax no matter how much time passes.

Here's a good book that can help you work through things and give you some direction for training and deconditioning:

The Cautious Canine by Patricia McConnell

You should also get one of these harnesses, called a spook harness, from Majestic collars.  It's a good three point harness that should prevent him from backing out and getting away.  Many times people will use two leashes, or one leash with a short coupler on the end, to attach to both the harness and the collar.  Just for added security.

Majestic Spook Harness

You may also want to discuss with your vet using a short course of anti anxiety meds as you work on his issues.  It doesn't mean he will be on them for life, but they can be a helpful tool in your "anxious dog tool kit."

You can get a lot more info and suggestions of you search here through the T&B section for threads on spooks or anxious dogs.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Walk him closer to your body keeping that leash short. Les chance to yank you off your feet. If he backs away, pull the leash down to the ground which will lessen the chance of the collar slipping off. Also seconding the idea of a harness.  Houndstown makes regular and great 3-point harnesses. Also get a tag collar so something will be on him if his collar slips off.

http://www.houndstown.com/shop/     

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thank you all for the links and suggestions. I went out today to buy a harness and tried to acclimate him to it but within 10 seconds he was freaking out, so I will try a different style tomorrow. He has been sleeping/hiding in his crate the majority of the day but seems to be doing ok. My vet said I shouldn’t walk him because of my head but I have no one else to, so I’ve been feeding him with a Kong to give him some stimulation (I’ll resume walking when I get a good harness). Greysmom, I will definitely look into the anti anxiety meds when I take him in to the vet Monday, thank you. Thanks to all, and if anyone thinks of anymore tips I’m always listening!