What Did They *Not* Tell You When You Got Your 1st Grey?

I just thought this would be a fun thread, and I didn't see another like it here. 

What was your biggest surprise when you adopted your greyhound? It could be some cute, quirky thing, or just something that would've gotten everyone off to a better start.  For me, I never realized that any dog could be so quiet - I thought something was wrong with her, at first!

Here's your prompt:

Nobody told me about the blood curdling GSOD - greyhound scream of death.  It seems that the more trivial the injury, the more nerve shattering the GSOD.

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

"They're part jackass." :lol Truth! And masters of stink eye.

Not that it would have made one bit of difference in our decision to adopt Sweep, but I wish adoption groups wouldn't claim greys don't shed. Sweep did not get that memo. She sheds year-round, more than either cat. But the bright side is her bunny-soft fur. :wub: 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

It's a cult.  Well, we did get Jackie in an unauthorized fashion...someone had adopted her in Florida and then they 'needed to get rid of her' as she was just not happy living in a much smaller house with a crazy lab and a toddler.  She was the perfect dog.  We took her 'for the weekend' and hubs was out buying a bed for her within an hour (the one she came with was horrible).  So, no adoption group to not tell us things.  

One thing though, no one would have mentioned the extensive wardrobe required--a collar for every holiday, hats, coats, booties...the list goes on.

Blank 500 x 150.jpg
Suzie aka  CBJ Fly Sonic (b. 07 Feb 2015) and missing:
Homer aka Atoscocita Homer (05 Oct 2010- 16 Nov 2021)
Xena the Galgo aka Xene the Bean (? 2009- 6 Sep 2018)
Jackie aka Katie aka Sun Blaze (16 April 2001- 14 April 2014)

I wish I'd had a primer on how to "read" a Greyhound's ears and expression.  I've adapted, of course, but initially I found myself struggling to correctly interpret things like "happy", "annoyed", "hesitant", "scared", and "upset" in a way I hadn't with other dog breeds.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

I had that conversation with the campers again just today: Whomever is perpetuating the myth about non-shedding greyhounds, knock it off!

:lol

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

2 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

I had that conversation with the campers again just today: Whomever is perpetuating the myth about non-shedding greyhounds, knock it off!

:lol

Indeed.  I swear when I groomed Cleo she was having another litter :rotfl

Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

How addicting they are as companions. 

My DH and I have had dogs all our lives, first growing up, and then once we got together.  All different breeds, sizes, energy levels - we weren't newcomers to owning dogs, and we started out just wanting to do a good deed in adopting a dog that needed a home.

DH was actually not thrilled with greyhounds initially.  They were "funny looking" and their noses were too long, and he had a whole list of why he didn't want one, but he agreed to go to a local meet and greet "just to look" at real greyhounds.  

We came home with our name on the list to adopt a sweet 6 year old bounce we met there, and we haven't looked back since 2003 and 11 greyhounds ago.  We have three now, but we've had as many as 6 at one time with no issues or problems.  And we can't ever see ourselves not having a greyhound until we just can't handle having any type of dog due to age.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

You don't find out that if you want a dog don't get a greyhound until it's to late and you find your sofa taken over by impossibly long legs and your ideas on what life would be like with a "dog" is turned upside down, but now you wouldn't have it any other way.

They also don't tell you about gas

Greyhound Glossary: Greynhouse Gas" by RichSkipworth | Redbubble

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

They didn't tell me that I was joining a cult; that my life would be changed forever to be immeasurably better, happier, and more

loving; and that my heart would be forever claimed by this strange new dog creature known as a greyhound. :beatheart

10 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

They also don't tell you about gas

Oh, yeah.  There is that :D

Gas. Yes.

And how they become the centre of your world, so you rush home from work to see them, and avoid going out because you don’t want to leave them alone. How they become the topic of almost every conversation you have with your spouse as you discuss how much sleep they’ve had, how far you walked, how many poops on the walk (and the consistency of said poops), and how my heart swells when I see him do something cute ie. everything he does. Which I can then talk about.

Most of all, I was unprepared for how happy he makes my husband. The look on his face when he sees Buddy’s reaction to me coming home from work is just about as good as Buddy’s reaction itself.

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I was moving from Chicago to Lubbock.  I stopped in Abilene, KS and they brought 2 year old Little to my hotel.  Her owner had died and she was never socialized.   .She got away from the lady that brought her from the far and headed for the highway.  I learned then to never chase a greyhound  No one ever told ,me anything else.  Girl taught me about greyhounds and I taught her how to be a pet.  BTW - she cost me the $50 the vet charged for her spay and shots.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

That they will make you laugh, often hysterically every day. 

Also: Every one you ever met, and some you never met will bring tears to your eyes when they leave. 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

17 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Also: Every one you ever met, and some you never met will bring tears to your eyes when they leave. 

That is so true

19 hours ago, Time4ANap said:

Granted, having run a rescue I've had more than my share of greys pass through my home.  Some fosters  I cried when they went to their homes and some I gave a sigh of relief as I left them.  For the most part the statement is true.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

They're called nails for a reason.  Those things are hard as rocks, and just about as easy to cut.  And my first hound gave the GSOD anytime someone held one of her front legs, so I got introduced to that the first time I tried nail trimming.

I never thought I would let a dog up on the furniture, but I couldn't resist

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thinking back to Doc I remember being *most concerned* the first time I encountered ETS. There he was, lying down, seemingly relaxed, but with a section of pink tongue lolling out onto the bed. Was it broken? None of the retired greyhound literature I had mentioned this phenomenon, when I checked - but fortunately a couple of photos showed it. Phew!

Doc was also a "happy growler" and I was also taken aback the first time he did that - the alarm clock had gone off, and he had rushed in from next door to say good morning as usual, and there he was standing beside the bed being petted and then gggrrrr ... however he was still so evidently happy and relaxed that I was soon able to work out that it was the equivalent of a cat purring.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Just how important the routine is! Do something one way two or three times and you've established a pattern that must not be broken no matter the circumstances!

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).