New greyhound terrified to go potty

Hello! I am a new greyhound owner; we just adopted a retired racing hound about a month ago. I'm having a lot of trouble taking her out to go potty. We lived in a large apartment complex in Denver for the first two weeks, and she absolutely despised walking through the halls and going in the elevator. She hated going so much that my partner had to carry her to the dog park every day.

We just moved into a townhouse, so the grass is about 10ft away, but she is still so hesitant to leave the house. She freezes right at the doorway and refuses to go further. So, again, we carry her 10ft over to the grass every day. She still seems really spooked and her tail goes between her legs, nose drips, and she looks around frantically and tries to pull us back to the door. Even if there aren't many noises. She gets really nervous when the wind makes the leaves rustle, and other 'normal' noises like that. We take her out as little as possible to avoid traumatizing her, but we still try to take her out a few times a day. We don't have a fenced yard, so we can't just leave the door open for her, as I've read about with desensitizing training. She is very food motivated, but when she is outside, she ignores all food (seemingly due to fear). 

Inside the home, she's absolutely perfect. Sweet, affectionate, and growing into her personality more every day. Really the only issue she is having is going outside. 

We're at a loss for what to do or try now. We know that becoming a pet is a HUGE adjustment, and moving didn't help (even though her potty spot is way closer now). We're hoping you greyhound veterans have some new ideas for us!! Thanks so much in advance! 

Time and patience, then more time and more patience.  

She has no idea what has happened to her very safe and very regimented kennel life.

Please read this article..it may help you to better understand your new girlie...

https://gpa-az.com/gilley.html

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

The article Nancy linked to is great at helping us understand how different "home" life actually is for retired racers.  Some hounds make the transition easily.  Your girl sounds a bit like my Spirit--hesitant, fearful of change and of the unfamiliar.  For those hounds the transition is harder.  Fear not!  Things will get easier.  It is a very special reward to see your fearful, hesitant hound blossom and settle.  Time and patience are key.  To me, it sounds as if you're doing a great job of being her "safe place".  I love that you can carry her through the fearful areas to the grass.  

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Thanks so much to both of you for your expertise!! The article was a great read, and it's reassuring to hear that carrying her won't further traumatize her. 

In the past day, we started trying to train with a longer leash, allowing her to willingly come be with us outside (which is rewarded), or stay inside where she's comfortable. We are fully expecting that it's going to be a long process, but it's going great so far!  Any other suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated!! :)

I love the harnesses from 2Hounds Design. 

https://www.2houndsdesign.com/product-category/shop-now/freedom-no-pull-harness/ 

I've actually got 3 of an older style of 2Hounds Design harness and I'd be so glad to give you one for your girl if we can figure out a comfortable way for me to get your address.  The harness is black nylon webbing and black velvet, sized for an average male hound (72 pounds), and generously adjustable.  

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.