Sudden Separation Issues?

Hello! 
We have a 5-year-old retired racer whom we love. He’s been with us for about 2 1/2 years and rarely do we have issues. I was taking college courses when we got him so I did a lot of alone training with him and after the first two weeks we never had an issue leaving him alone for a few hours. Until the past few months.
Ever since the coronavirus hit, he’s had issues being alone and acting out. The first time (when he rifled through the trash) I thought it may be because I’m pregnant and he can sense that 🤷🏼‍♀️ Then when I stopped working I figured, maybe he’s just gotten so used to me being stuck at home that he has “forgotten” how to deal with being here alone. But I’ve been leaving more often for doctor’s appointments or what have you and he’s still having problems. 
First it was trash, then he broke into an entire package of potato chips 🤦🏼‍♀️ then he chewed my husband’s hat and then a cardboard box. We gated off the kitchen and the hall so now (when he’s alone) he can only be in the living room- we also move all items he could potentially chew that arent his normal toys and bones. (He has always been free roam because he is terrified of the crate since day 1) So now he just poops on the floor, which is better than it used to be, but still annoying and not okay.

We have never changed routine. He always gets his special peanut butter treat ONLY when we leave, has music on, and we never make a big deal of coming and going. He never seems distressed when we leave. (I feel like it’s a stress thing because I recently caught him trying to bite a shopping bag in the hall when fireworks were going on). It also seems kind of come and go? He was left for 3 hours this weekend and was fine, but I left for an hour this morning and he had pooped (I had JUST taken him out before I left). 

I’m just at a loss. I feel bad because I feel like I’ve tried everything and I can’t pinpoint what the issue is. It’s something I really want and NEED to get better especially with baby coming. Thanks in advance for any tips. 

(side note- normally I would try tiring him out a little more than usual to see if that helps, but I’m 8mo pregnant and it’s about 100 degrees here so there’s not much I can do as far as walks/zooms/etc) 

You could be right about him sensing your pregnancy and the changes caused by the COVID pandemic. Perhaps subconsciously and understandably he's getting less or different attention and he's sensing he might be loosing his place in the pack and wants to remind you that he's still here.

Unfortunately I don't have any solutions as I have no experience of your situation. Hopefully other's who have experienced the same problem will be more helpful

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time