Should I bring in another dog?

My newly fostered greyhound is scared and reluctant to go outside. But once out there he is comfortable in the back/front yard, but the back/front yard only.  He doesn’t like going on structured walks where we would go on the sidewalk. Doesn’t like going near the sidewalk.

Should I consider walking with another dog? My neighbor has an old, gentle, slow lab that likes other dogs. 

Right now, I am very patient. He loves the inside and sits next to me and is cuddly and getting more and more confident every day. 

Thank you for all of the advice!! 

As long as he  ( what is his name ?!)  has a safe place to potty I would not worry too much about taking him on walks.

Let him get used to you and his house and yard. He is going through a huge change in his life  - he has probably never seen a sidewalk! - and it will take  plenty of time and patience to help get him settled into his new routine.

Once he is comfy with you and the yard, then yes...perhaps having another quiet and confident dog along will encourage him to explore more outside his comfort zone.   Take some super yummy treats along on the walk and praise him for being so brave.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I agree with the above. Time and patience and he'll start to understand his new world. It's a natural reaction on your part to comfort him when he seems scared but don't. Don't say things like "It's alright" and "Whose a good boy" and giving him a cuddle or stroking him etc. as that will reinforce that he's right to be scared. Ignore any scary noises, carry on with what you were doing and then give him a treat when he's calmed down again.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I would suggest it's not really the sidewalk he's afraid of, though it's possible he doesn't like walking on it.  It's more likely the street noise and hubbub that goes on - cars whizzing by, kids playing and screaming, bicycles, truck backfires, honking - noises and movements we take for granted but which are completely alien and new to a dog that's never seen such things before.

So keep his world small for a while.  Don't worry too much about making him exercise (his mind is really getting a workout right now and using up a lot of energy).  Let him settle into *this* environment.  He will let you know when he's curious about things outside his current bubble.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Wow, BatterseaBrindl, HeyRunDog, and greysmom, thank you so much for all of the advice!!

Today, my boy seemed so happy outside and then we took a 0.75ish (I approximate I’m not measuring or anything😂) walk on sidewalk/grass area.  He seemed so happy. I think he is starting to settle in (been about a week since he came).

Being patient (have not brought in another dog yet) and hope he continues to be happy outside. 

I will keep you updated. Thank you for the help, I cherished it and it was so helpful!!

I completely agree with the others.  Take it slow.  I'm sure everything you read told you they need long walks.  Your dog will be FINE if he doesn't get his full cardio in for a month or three lol.  "keep his world small" is perfect advice.  And then a little bigger, then a little bigger.  

I had a foster that didn't go 15 feet out the door for 2 weeks.  Then we went 30 feet away for 2 weeks.  I thought yeah!  So I took her outside the yard - into the real world, and she statued.  And then I carried a 75 lb dog home (not easy).  Too much, too fast.  So, we started over, and within a few more weeks, she was out in the world, and could go anywhere. 

Just don't rush.  You rush - you go backwards.  Slow and steady progress is the key.