Pearl is not growing properly

Hello everyone!

My Pearl(moti) is not growing as expected.

His age is exactly 8 months today.

But his height and overall body growth and spine length is not nourshing.

Kindly share your opinion, which diet plan or dog feed should I use for it.

P.S: This breed is used here for hare hunt, its not a racing greyhound breed.

IMG_20200630_202021.jpg

Lots of medical issues can affect how well or how big a puppy grows.  I would begin by a thorough vet evaluation, including bloodwork, and urine and fecal tests.

It's difficult for us to recommend foods in different countries as commercial brands vary a lot.  For what it's worth, he doesn't look overly skinny to me.  Puppies at this age foten go through growth spurts and look bad for a couple weeks, then they grow again and look fine.  Or their front might be two inches higher than the rear, then the rear catches up.  A greyhound puppy isn't done growing until sometimes after 2 years old, so your boy has a bit more time yet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 hour ago, greysmom said:

Lots of medical issues can affect how well or how big a puppy grows.  I would begin by a thorough vet evaluation, including bloodwork, and urine and fecal tests.

It's difficult for us to recommend foods in different countries as commercial brands vary a lot.  For what it's worth, he doesn't look overly skinny to me.  Puppies at this age foten go through growth spurts and look bad for a couple weeks, then they grow again and look fine.  Or their front might be two inches higher than the rear, then the rear catches up.  A greyhound puppy isn't done growing until sometimes after 2 years old, so your boy has a bit more time yet.

Thanks a lot.

So there is nothing to worry..😍

I'm not a vet, so this is just what my experience with *greyhound* puppies has been.  Your vet or medical professional should be able to advise you better.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

If your pup is running around a lot you will find it harder to fatten him up. We met a couple with a whippet/Italian greyhound puppy last year who were worried because they could not get her to gain any weight because she was on the move all the time. As long as you’re feeding a good quality complete food and he’s not going hungry he should be fine.

Also, depending on how used you are to sighthounds, you have to recalibrate yourself as to what is a good weight for them (from experience - I was convinced he needed a bit more weight on him, then I had to put him on a diet 😬).

He’s a beauty, by the way. And my dog thrives on cuddles and love ;)

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

I have raised two greyhound puppies and one whippet/greyhound mix puppy.  All of the pups were very lean as they grew, it was difficult to put weight on them, they were all so busy.  My most recent puppy who is now 8 1/2 years old was so lean and petite, barely 50 pounds as an adult has just recently started to fill out at a whopping 53 pounds.  Give it time, a healthy, balanced diet and certainly check with your vet.  Good luck

Sight hounds can take 3 to 5 years to really mature. Slow and steady growth with a good kibble of moderate protein and fat should do the trick. 22 -24% protein.  My salukis looked like skeletons until they were over 3. My GH puppy was skinny for quite some time.