Looking into GPS for Greyhound

We are looking into a GPS for one of the greyhounds. He has never been out but I did not want to wait until he does. 

I read about the Whistle on here but the reviews did not seem good. 

I know some adoption groups put a GPS tracker on their greyhounds. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and hugs to the hounds

Many of us here had the Tagg tracker when it came out and were relatively happy with it even though it had some limitations.  Tagg was responsive to problems and requests, and even replaced one of ours when something broke on it outside of the warranty period.  After Whsitle bought the Tagg company, numerous problems started and then our 1st generation trackers were phased out, causing us to have to buy new equipment.  The new ones never worked properly, and the services that were promised were never delivered.  I think many of us gave up on the idea of GPS tracking after that because there was nothing on the market that came close to what we had with the Tagg product.  I've still not seen any new product years later that is a must buy in the way of a tracker. 

If I had a young hound or hound fresh off the track, I would want some kind of tracking device. We first bought the Tagg when we had Rocket and were moving from IL to AZ. I wanted it to have on him during the road trip and because he would be in a totally new neighborhood that he didn't know if he somehow got away. The Tagg worked well until the problems started after the Whistle acquisition.   With our current household of senior broodies, I never have to look further away than a bed or the food bowl to find them and the tracker would never leave the house if we had one. :lol

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My vet said of one of my Muttleys "Don't you wish they had GPS so we could see where they'd been?". 

In lieu of that get to know your neighbors, notify all local adoption groups about your hound and join local social media such as Next Door.  

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I‘ve wondered about trying the gear that hunters use on their pack of dogs. Probably too expensive and cumbersome to have on in the off chance of an escape from home.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Our Toby wears a Whistle 2 GPS on his tag collar and we absolutely love it. He’s the shyest grey we’ve ever had and will never go to another person when he’s outside so it brings me a huge amount of peace of mind. I love the app that we use with it and it allows me to see exactly where he is at all times which was great when we were using a dog walker. I can’t imagine not having a GPS going forward. I’ve been on too many lost hound searches and can imagine all of the heartache this may have prevented during those times. 

If we were to get a new one, I would opt for the Whistle Go Explore that has a longer battery life and a light. Our battery lasts a long time but it begins to decrease if we’re running the app continuously while tracking him on a walk. 

https://shop.whistle.com

Edited by kelseysmom

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Whistle 2 require the use of their collar, or can it be attached to a 1" Swiss Velvet tag collar?  It is a little confusing from the pics on the website.  I do like that is does not "jingle".  We are a "no jingle" household.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Link for Razzy - it is a little bulky but she is petite. The Tracking App is real time but can vary based on your signal with your phone in certain areas, etc. We have had it since it first came out and they have made many improvements to it. https://www.linkakc.com/

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com