Snarking & Couch Privileges

Well, this is a new one for me. Jenny is my third Greyhound and the only one I’ve owned who will snark/snap.  She is muzzled when at the vet. 
Last night, she snarked/snapped at DH when he approached me and again when he reached over the back of the recliner I was sitting in. Both times, Jenny was in the other recliner next to me. I immediately gave her a strong ‘uh-uh’! and had her vacate the chair. Now, do I allow her back on the chair and make her get off if the behavior repeats or make the chair permanently (or temporarily) off limits? Or some other behavior modification?

I wonder if she’s guarding me or the chair?

Any guidance will be appreciated. 

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

You did the right thing, correcting her and making her get down. If it only happened in that one spot, it was probably the chair, but it could have been you. Hopefully it was the chair, much easier to manage. I would make the chair off limits for now, and see how she does. Fletcher was not allowed to sleep with me because he did not share well, but he learned to share the couch just fine.

Good observation.  It’s only happened in the chair. Thank you. 

Edited by LaFlaca

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Rogue was a bit like that, mostly sleep startle but maybe some resource guarding mixed in, when he was on the couch. I continued to allow him on the couch, but only if no one else was using it. If we were, he was sent to his bed with treats. About 6 months later, we tried sharing the couch again and he was fine. No issues since.

Sarah with P Kay Ruger "Rogue"

gc2Re0q.jpg?2

My plan is to allow her back on the chair (she’s been exiled for several days) and if she has any more inappropriate reactions ask her to vacate each time, keeping her off the remainder of that day.  Hopefully she’ll eventually understand that the snark/snap is a no-no. 

That sounds like a solid plan.  If it turns into a systemic issue - drop the hammer and make it a no-go zone.  But certainly give it another chance, or two , or three, with correction,  and try to correct the "chair guarding".    

If there were small children in the house and it was a safety issue - I'd give different advice.