Vulvoplasty

Has anyone had a vulvoplasty done on their dog? I'm pretty convinced we're at the point where it needs to be done, but I'd love to hear about people's experiences. Honestly, the scariest part might be the 2 week recovery period of inactivity (this is for Skye, not Violet). :P

In all seriousness, any type of anesthesia/surgery always scares the crap out of me, but I think it will give her relief. The specialty place I like has a surgical group so I'm thinking about reaching out to them. It's probably overkill, but I feel better because they have an ER on site, can consult with a vet anesthesiologist, and while it's its own practice, Skye has had an emergency dental there so her anesthesia protocol can easily be passed along. 

I extra don't want to do this with the current restrictions in place, but I'll at least get the ball rolling. Thanks for any input you can give. 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I think Kristin has this done for one of her greys but I could be wrong. 

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I had it done on Lilly when she was about 8 months old.   She was having reocurring UTIs constantly and yucky discharge, constant licking, smelly - just yucky.  So we had it done at the same time as her spay.  Honestly, she never slowed down much and she came through just fine.  I'm not sure how an older dog would handle it, but it was definitely the easier part of her surgery that day.  She hasn't had any issues since then (and Lilly is 9 in Sept!).

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Our little American Idol had it done.  She was probably about 4 years old.  A day or two after the surgery, she was fine.  Our vet used a laser to seal it and dissolving stitches.  I don't remember her being on any restrictions at all.  Afterwards, she was better than ever.  Good luck with your girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like we should continue to explore it as an option.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."