Time to Take the Toe?

Sweep has been hobbling badly since the humid summer weather hit a few weeks ago. This is her usual pattern: happy, frisky dog in the cooler months, when we get by with Previcox every third day, and sluggish dog in the heat who needs daily Previcox and still limps. I'm currently also giving her Gabapentin 100mg 3x daily, Joint Health and Fresh Factors, Zyrtec, and (when I remember) Assisi loop sessions.

I was looking between her wonky toes last night and saw what looks like a pressure sore on the toe it rubs against, and some bumps on the toe in question. Are these blisters? I'm thinking the moist air is making the friction worse and causing her more discomfort. All this to say, I'm calling the vet tomorrow and planning to talk seriously about amputating the toe. We've been able to manage it for years, but now that she's 10.5 it's harder to make her comfortable as the arthritis worsens. Any thoughts? We have several more months of hot weather ahead and she can barely walk as it is. Forgive the long nails; they always look worse on this foot because her toes are so twisted!

First, this is her weird foot (has always looked this way) with an arrow pointing to the bad toe:

45000294775_4b4445bb12_z.jpg

50028891428_b951e4ecb4_z.jpg

50028891453_8d81a36f3c_z.jpg

Sore on neighboring toe:

50028891433_ed24f006fa_z.jpg

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

That bump looks weird - like maybe a foreign body sort of thing.  I would definitely have the vet take a look.  Mine will even stick a needle in and suck out some cells to take a wuick look at under the microscope there in the office.

What really concerns me is how swollen her other leg looks????  That would definitely cause limping and general unhappiness.  Is this normal for her?

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

1 hour ago, greysmom said:

What really concerns me is how swollen her other leg looks????  That would definitely cause limping and general unhappiness.  Is this normal for her?

Sorry, I absentmindedly pulled that pic from an old 2018 thread about an injury on her right foot, so good catch on the swelling but it's all fine now! She is definitely limping on her left foot (head goes down on the right when she walks).

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

That looks more like a sebaceous cyst, sort of pimply to me.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Thanks, all. We've got an appointment on Thursday morning, their soonest available. I'm hoping they'll have a cancellation and we can get in sooner. She's pitiful!

:goodluck 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

We're back from the vet. He says the bump is a developing callus from the friction between her wonky toes, and nothing to worry about. He does not want to do anything about it because it is protecting the bones, and he doesn't feel it's contributing to her limping. She has had a better two days in that department, so maybe the Gabapentin has been helping. We're going to increase that (I started slow since historically it has sedated her) and we're also going to switch to Galliprant to see how she does with that. We can always go back to the Previcox if need be, but as she ages I'd prefer something gentler on her system if possible. She was due for her annual exam and everything else looked/sounded good. She ate her weight in treats while there, but I can deal with a possible monster poop/big D  if it means she's otherwise healthy. Thank you for your good thoughts and feedback!

:yay This is such good news! Yay Sweep :kiss2

Whew ...! Thank you for the update. 

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

6 minutes ago, Remolacha said:

Excellent update! :pepper Conner was on Galliprant, it didn't give him any problems, but hardly anything did :lol

Good to know! Was it effective for him?

2 hours ago, Remolacha said:

It did seem to help, along with his gabapentin. He was only on it for about 6 months before he passed though.

Conner, our buddy in toe woes. :heart  Thank you.

58 minutes ago, schultzlc said:

Sorry to hear that Sweep is having trouble with her toes!  This hot, humid weather here has been tough on the pups, for sure.  Fingers crossed she's feeling better!

Thanks, Laura! She's doing much better. We've even stopped the Previcox for the washout period before she starts Galliprant, and so far the Gabapentin alone seems to be keeping her pretty comfortable. Happy 4th to you and Nova Noodle!