Yeah, insurance again

I don't know whether like is the word I'd use but I don't dislike mine. I insured Grace with Bought By Many when I first had her and like most of the other insurers there is a 14 day wait before you can make a claim. On the 15th day she developed an abscess between 2 toes caused by grit from her racing days. Several visits to the vet and two operations later and the bill came to just over £2000 which they paid up with no problems. I also get free video access to a 24 hour online emergency vet and get 20% of my premium back each year I don't claim.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

I like Trupanion.  They are expensive, to be sure, although you can control that somewhat by adjusting your deductible.  They have unfailingly done what they say in the contract they will do, and generally process claims quite quickly.  My regular clinic can submit a claim and Trupanion reviews it on the spot, pays them their part of the bill, and I pay the difference.  No waiting for reimbursement.  Any time I've called them for any reason, they've been very pleasant to deal with.

As with all insurance, rates depend on many factors, including where you live.  I live in a very large metropolitan area, and vet care is very expensive.  So are the premiums.  Makes sense to me.

10 minutes ago, Rickiesmom said:

I like Trupanion.  They are expensive, to be sure, although you can control that somewhat by adjusting your deductible.  They have unfailingly done what they say in the contract they will do, and generally process claims quite quickly.  

Agree 100%

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

• 2 weeks later...

I have Healthy Paws. Of course they WERE wonderful BEFORE they were sold. Since then they have been HORRIBLE. Completely unresponsive and pretty much impossible to speak to or deal with. Their Customer Srvc is now overseas so if you try to contact them you waste a long time even getting through. Then all they do is just recite the same stuff that you already know and that is on the web site. No resolution for the issue you called about in the first place. They truly don't really speak American. So then they offer to transfer you to an english speaking supervisor in AZ. He doesn't say anything-just keeps the line open until you give up and hang up. Just received notice of this years rate increase for my 3 dogs ages 6 months, 5 years and 9 years.  It is going up from $159.49 to $210.86 But I feel like I am stuck because of my 9 year old. She has been insured this whole time with them so heaven knows what it would cost to try and find another provider at her age.  And MPthe4pack when I signed up my brand new 8 week old very well bred pup ( zero liklihood of any hip problems etc.) it was almost $50 a month then!  So what with the increase its looking like ~$75/ month for a young healthy well bred Belgian Shepherd pup of around a year old! I guess the insurance companies know how much we love our dogs and have decided to gouge us for coverage-especially since vet care seems to have become so very expensive lately. I did check out Prudent Pet and Figo and both of them would cost pretty much the same or more than the HP. Of course if they are actually better perhaps it would be worth switching but I just kind of feel like they have me over a barrel and no matter what I do it doesn't seem like I'm being treated fairly.  I will add also that I did not even turn in 'small' claims under $250-350 because I knew that making claims will make your rates go up(even though they deny it).  In fact one year I had ZERO claims. So its not like the were paying a lot out on me.

• 4 weeks later...

I switched from Health Paws to Prudent Pet, I have a friend with Greyhounds who did the same thing. I have not filed a claim yet, but she has and she said it was very easy no problems no questions asked. Sounds like what Healthy Paws used to be like.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I use Pets Best.  I have had them for a number of years. They've been very good - quick to pay claims and easy to reach.  They do increase rates as the dogs get older but from what I hear, that is typical.

I'm still with Embrace and have been relatively happy with them. Premium goes up every year (Sheba is 12+ years now), but I'll stick with Embrace until the end. From time to time I've had to dispute (via website chat or email) an item they first didn't reimburse but have been successful at getting reimbursed  by quoting what the policy says.