Proheart Injection for Hookworms?

Hello,

Bette has been doing Dr. Ng's protocol for hookworms for 6 months.  She is still positive for hooks.  I just read about Proheart 6 or 12 as a heartworm preventive, but also for treatment of the resistant hookworms that are so common now.  I would LOVE to switch her to this if it is, in fact, efficacious.  The Coraxis that I apply monthly is stinky, messy and gross for about 24 hours.  The Drontal Plus mid month is expensive.  If giving her a shot once a year or once every 6 months will provide the same treatment effect, I would much prefer that (assuming it is not exorbitantly more expensive).  

We dose monthly with Simparica for fleas and ticks.  I assume we would continue with that regimen.

We are consistently fostering for our group, as they are moving dogs from FL and AL, and if we fall in love with one of our fosters, we will likely end up adopting, so would want to start the new addition on Proheart, as well, assuming they are also hook positive.  I'd love any thoughts or feedback (positive and negative) from those in the know re: Proheart.

Edited by smt
typo

There are pros and cons to ProHeart that every one needs to evaluate for themselves and their dogs.  It was originally released about a decade ago and then pulled due to safety concerns.  It's supposed to be much safer this time around.

I have switched my three dogs to Proheart 6.  I think, with the heartworm test that comes with it, it cost me around $80, which in my area is cheaper than other topical/pill combos for treating heartworm-parasites for 6 months.  It does NOT protect against fleas and ticks.  Though it's active ingredient - mixodextrin (or something like that) - is listed to protect against internal parasites, the Proheart shot is NOT listed by the manufacturer as being effective against internal parasites.  So use for hooks would be an off-label treatment.

The problem with treating hooks is the timing of dosages in combo with the lifecycle of the parasite - you need to dose when the hooks are active so you kill them.  Unfortunately, hooks can hide in other body tissues, and only emerge every two weeks or so.  With this shot you don't have to worry about timing - the dosage is always available in the bloodstream to kill them.

One of mine had a pretty bad hook infestation that we treated initially with the Ng protocol for two rounds before getting a clear fecal.  She got her Proheart shot right after this and she has been hookworm clear since then - about 4 months.

Another has a compromised digestive system and has a LOT of trouble taking oral meds of any type.  She's been absolutely fine with this shot and parasite free.  She's also been on it for nearly a year now as we started her on it first.

Our last one did not have any hooks or other issues as our other girls, but it was certainly simpler and cheaper to have her on the same treatment.  She's also been fine, parasite free and with no health issues for 4 months.

So overall I've been very pleased with it.  I've been choosing the 6 month version just because I do still have a tiny bit of doubt about it, but will probably go over to the 12 at their next due date.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just attended a lunch and learn..topic was Proheart12...I asked a lot of questions to the veterinarian lecturing.  The Dr knew all about the problems with hookworm resistance, larva leak etc especially in the racing greyhounds...  He claimed that the Proheart12 injection is a viable option to be used.  He was pretty adamant it will be a successful treatment option.

Yes.  I forgot to mention our vet called the Proheart manufacturer and spoke with their staff vet at some length re using it off label for parasite control as they see a lot of the greyhounds in our area.  This person was very positive that it would work for this purpose successfully and my experience has born that out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I don't have anything to offer re: Proheart. Just wondering if there's any chance Bette is getting reinfected, in your yard for instance? I know these hooks are an absolute pita so I'm guessing you've already thought of that, but thought I'd mention it. Sorry you're dealing with this. I hope the Proheart does the trick if you decide to try it.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Thanks all.  I am very encouraged by everything that has been shared.  We were at the vet clinic in Birmingham over the weekend; the one that vets the racetrack dogs down there.  Both the vet and his tech have greyhounds, and they use the Proheart injection for their pets.  Not necessarily for hooks, but for heartworm treatment.  They try to push it with their patients bc it grantees compliance for the duration of the shot.  Have not had any issues using it with their grey's or other pets in the practice.  I am going to talk to my vet about switching Bette to this option.  Maybe start with the 6 and if she does ok with that, move to the 12.  

Also, re: the possibility of her getting reinfected with hooks in the yard; I suppose that is a possibility.  We have a very large fenced yard, and we always pick up poop immediately, so it seems unlikely, but I suppose anything is possible.  My hunch is that we are dealing with larval leak, and its just gonna be a marathon to get her cleared.

• 9 months later...

There is something very important to understand about the effect of the ProHeart product on hookworms, something that Zoetis reps or  their vets do not bring up unless you do, and that is that it will only treat infections present at the time of the administration of ProHeart (6 0r 12 months, does not matter). If you read the claims or the insert, it reads:

"ProHeart 12 eliminates the larval and adult stages of A. caninum and U. stenocephala present at the time of treatment. Re-infection with A. caninum and U. stenocephala may occur sooner than 12 months."  (see the product insert online, under the heading Frequency of Administration).

This means that if your premises are seeded with hookworm eggs and you do not take measures to eliminate them, or your dog frequents areas that are equally infected, your dog could end up with hookworms again. Also, no indications on the label that your dog will be protected against roundworms or whipworms.

This product was created because a proportion of dog owners are either forgetful, cheap or too lazy to administer monthly doses (oral or topical, take your pick). In Zoetis' mind, heartworm is a more serious concern than intestinal parasites... except hookworms and roundworms are transmissible to people. From the point of view of public health, ProHeart is a big fail, considering that there are numerous products that address all concerns. Zoetis itself has Simparica Trio which does not leave this void in parasite protection.

Choose wisely,

Bittyflea