Greyt surprises

As we approach Buddy’s second gotcha day, I find that this lovely, affectionate, goofy, clingy boy is still able to surprise me by revealing things about his personality and nature that either he hasn’t shown before or I’ve been too preoccupied elsewhere to notice. Recently I have discovered that he loves broccoli and cauliflower stalks, and egg shells are a delicacy to be nibbled on his bed. A frequently snarky and anxious boy around other dogs, last week he encountered a lurcher who was in season which set his jaw chattering with accompanying drooling like I’d never seen before! When the other dog decided she’d had enough of Buddy showing his appreciation for her particular aroma, she snapped at him, but he was in a state of cross-eyed bliss and far too out of it to notice.

Which brings me onto today’s surprise. Dan reported that Buddy had slept very well today so he was quite lively when we went out for a walk. Towards the end of the walk, I thought that he had somehow brushed against some leaves which had caught on his inner thigh. On closer inspection, I found that at some point during our walk Buddy had become very excited and had managed to coat his thighs and his belly with a putty like substance. It was a surprise because Buddy has no 🏀🏀. I left him to clean himself up when we got home although despite several loooooong licking sessions he’s still a bit crusty. Another surprise: it turns out that there is a substance which is stickier than greyhound saliva. A quick search to find out of this is normal on GT was reassuring, and I also found out that he has a ‘hoo-hoo’, and the things at the root of his ‘hoo-hoo’ are called ‘olives’.  So I’ve learnt lots today. 

How does your hound surprise you?

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

That hoo hoo juice is called smegma. I like hoo hoo name for it better.

I wish someone would resurrect the olive story on Gt from years ago.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

4 hours ago, macoduck said:

That hoo hoo juice is called smegma. I like hoo hoo name for it better.

I wish someone would resurrect the olive story on Gt from years ago.

Olives and hoo hoos :lol

eta, the discussion began innocently enough... Marbles has swelling, not where his, um, hangy-downs were :blush , but at the base of his hoo-hoo.

:rofl

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

4 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Olives and hoo hoos :lol

eta, the discussion began innocently enough... Marbles has swelling, not where his, um, hangy-downs were :blush , but at the base of his hoo-hoo.

:rofl

I’ve often wondered why Buddy walked with his back legs so far apart. Having recently seen another greyhounds hangy-downs (another surprise!) I know that he’s probably got phantom testicles, and apparently that comes complete with ectoplasm...

Years ago, Eve, Baz, Sophiecat, and I were all dozing on the sofa when Baz suddenly hopped off and for the first and only time began air humping.  He was an older dog and had been neutered many years before -- it was a complete surprise.  Us females on the couch -- all three species -- looked on in amused disgust.   I remember the look on Baz's face, it was "Help!  I can't turn this crazy thing off!"  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 2 weeks later...

:rofl This brings back so many good memories and laugh out loud moments, I read some of the old thread and wonder what happened to a lot of the old gang on here. Of course, I mean “old” in the nicest way possible. :) 

Sorry, don’t mean to hijack this thread, it truly brought a well needed chuckle this morning.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

On 6/3/2020 at 3:08 PM, greytpups said:

:rofl This brings back so many good memories and laugh out loud moments, I read some of the old thread and wonder what happened to a lot of the old gang on here. Of course, I mean “old” in the nicest way possible. :) 

Sorry, don’t mean to hijack this thread, it truly brought a well needed chuckle this morning.

Hijack away! I hadn’t read the whole thread when I put this post on but there are lots of names I recognise, but many I don’t. 

I would still love to know what other peoples’ hounds have done to surprise them, too!

You mean other than:

I loved it Monday

It was ok on Tuesday

I pushed it around on Wednesday

Today, I will not touch it with a 10 ft pole.

eta:  I know this, it's, like, a rule, but somehow it always surprises/amazes me.

Edited by DesiRayMom

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Sorry about but The Phantom Quote Monster struck again and I don't know how to get rid of him or even post over him. 😮😮

Could someone take pity on me and post the reference to the "cheese" discussion?  Either before my time or I've forgotten.  I'll keep asking until someone does so put us all out of our misery??  Please?!

gallery_14387_3165_6886.jpg

Patsy and DH with the Humane Society specials, Linus & Jazz, in North Dakota