Glucosamine options

Hi all,

Emme came to us a couple of years ago with a limp that flares up every now and then. We've had her imaged several times and thankfully see no evidence of a lesion or fracture. She may have an old sprain that acts up from time to time. In any case, our vet wants her on Glucosamine and recommended Dasuquin. I have her on Dasuquin + MSM, but am looking for less pricey options. I know the Greyhound Gang and Springtime offer alternatives. Has anyone gone through this search and found one option to be preferable over the others?

Thank you,

Vanitha

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

Costco's Kirkland brand has a Glucosamine/MSM tablet that is 1500mg of each component. It's been very good for my seniors.

Good luck with Emme!

eta, the bottles are 375 caplets and run ~$16-18.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I have ours on Cosequin and NextGuard, which is a liquid.  Paris tore a muscle in her front leg while racing and that leg seems to bother her at times, so I recently put her on Adequan injections, too.  Haven't been on it long enough to see if it will help her, but I have had good response from several other dogs.  I give it subQ, so it's an easy injection.  

Just a thought. 

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I use Springtime Joint Chewables. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

On 5/15/2020 at 12:20 PM, vsrenard said:

Hi all,

Emme came to us a couple of years ago with a limp that flares up every now and then. We've had her imaged several times and thankfully see no evidence of a lesion or fracture. She may have an old sprain that acts up from time to time. In any case, our vet wants her on Glucosamine and recommended Dasuquin. I have her on Dasuquin + MSM, but am looking for less pricey options. I know the Greyhound Gang and Springtime offer alternatives. Has anyone gone through this search and found one option to be preferable over the others?

Thank you,

Vanitha

you can also go on amazon and research both/all ingredients and purchase them separately. that's what i did for a while. i do believe they need Vitamin C to process both. i basically copied the recipe from greyhound gang and found it much cheaper. i also found that the only things that really worked were metacam and adequan injections. i would try the metacam as needed, it takes a week to really kick in and then you can reduce the dosage to every other day.

I used the Springtime supplements (Fresh Factors and Joint chewables) For years until the Picky Princess decided she didn’t like them anymore :rolleyes: One thing I noticed with my own arthritis was the MSM really made a difference.

I second (3rd?) the use of the human version. It's a fraction of the cost and does the job. Didn't know about the Vitamin C being needed. That's good to know.

My very arthritic dog did very, very well on Arthrisoothe Gold. He didn't like the taste of it, so I used to crush the tablets and put it in his food. They have a liquid, too, but that was quite a bit more expensive.