Groundhog Attack

Sigh...

Well, we had to take BOTH hounds to the ER last night... they both apparently attacked a groundhog in our yard, and the groundhog did a number on them.

Both needed stitches. 

Poor Amelia got a big gash across her muzzle, and poor Carmen managed to bite the inside of her mouth and ended up with an arterial puncture! 

Now I have 2 young ones in cones (god help me) for the next 10-14 days.

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Kitty: Biggi Paws (7.4.13)
Horse: WC Kharena (2.28.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

I have cared for groundhogs/woodchucks in my work in wildlife rehab and they are serious biters if confronted :yikes ! Sorry about the Cones of Goodness

Miss Jennie

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

2 minutes ago, jenners said:

I have cared for groundhogs/woodchucks in my work in wildlife rehab and they are serious biters if confronted :yikes ! Sorry about the Cones of Goodness

Miss Jennie

Yes, they go down swinging for sure! My last 2 got into it with one and it kicked their butts too! Just not as bad. 

First time though I've been glad my husband and I are working from home now LOL

Carmen seems to have just given her will to the cone, while Amelia is determined to break it off her head. Last night she wouldn't settle down with it so she ended up sleeping on the bed with us... cone and all. Somehow it worked!

Edited by 2greyhoundMINI

Greyhounds: Amelia (Cataloosahatchee 9.10.17) & Carmen (Rebellious Bird 8.23.17)
Rainbow Bridge: Raider Kitty (4.1.01 - 8.12.21), Sidney (Kane's Seminole 11.14.08 - 9.26.19 ), June (Potrs June 6.1.09 - 3.1.19) Bella the Rottweiler, Kitties: Spike, DC, Gilda, Killer, Sophie & Nala 

She may like a soft cone better, or muzzle with stool cup. Get well soon girls!:kiss2

Many, many years ago, our beagle and golden retriever half-grown puppy cornered a groundhog. The beagle was baying at it, the golden lunged in, grabbed it by the nose, two shakes, all over.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Yikes! We have two living under the sheds, but the sheds are in a different area than our fenced yard. But this makes me nervous as Skye loves to bolt out of the door at night to go find critters to chase and bark at. 

Hope you're two heal up quickly!

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

That must have been terrifying. Best healing thoughts!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Thx for all the well wishes. 
So far they are doing as good as they can... laying around pouting. 

1 hour ago, MP_the4pack said:

My first girl Brindle went up to a groundhog just out of curiosity, not attacking it. And it latched onto her nose. But thankfully Topaz was a hunter and she took it out. But it almost took Brindle's nose completely off. 

They are nasty little suckers!

Got through the 1st 24 hours... both are doing well. 

Carmen's mouth swelling has gone down and Amelia's cut is already scabbing over.

They both seem unfazed except for the cones LOL

That must have been scary! I'm glad the girls are healing up well.  Groundhogs are tough critters. And the only rodent that tends to get rabies.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

50 minutes ago, Jerilyn said:

That must have been scary! I'm glad the girls are healing up well.  Groundhogs are tough critters. And the only rodent that tends to get rabies.

To be safe they are getting a rabies booster shot as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update...

We were VERY strict with cones and lease walks ONLY for 12 days, which sucked having 2 young greyhounds who love to play and run.

But it paid off... Amelia's wound healed perfectly as did Carmens.

Last bit of precaution they both received rabies booster shots yesterday.

Both girls are back running round, playing and being their cheerful selves. 

So far we have not seen any more groundhogs in the yard... hope it stays that way. 

Glad they're all better.  There have been some groundhog deaths here, too, but luckily Romie and Milo have been such skillful hunters that, like the golden mentioned above, things were over in two shakes.  Rest in peace, groundhogs.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter