How hot is too hot for a GH?

Is it possible to keep a GH in a place like Phoenix, AZ? If so, what temperatures are acceptable for walks/being outside and for how long? Feel free to provide additional info that you may think is relevant. Thanks.  

There are lots of us in Phoenix. 

Now that temps are in the summer ranges, you need to finish your walks by about 6:30 AM - maybe 7 at the latest.  As the sun rises, the direct sun here overheats most dogs.  Walking later in the day is largely impossible due to both heat and sun, and walking in the evenings is a no go in the summer as pavement temps can still be 120 after sundown with air temps in the 100's at midnight for many of the summer weeks.  Best bet is  to start at or near sunrise and get the walk done as that is the coolest part of the day. 

From about November - March we can walk later in the morning, but still try to be back inside by 10 or 11 AM due to the direct sun heating up the dogs.

If we can't do the early morning walk, then we either don't go that day, or sometimes will drive to a location with trees and walk in the shade, just going back and forth under the trees. Usually it;s too hot to do that much after 10-11 AM. 

My dogs have never liked walking in temps much past the 70's. Our Kate has a black coat and gets hot instantly in the sun.  Rocket was a red brindle and had super thick fur for a greyhound. He started panting hard when temps hit the 70's. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

There was racing in Phoenix up until about 10 years ago, and several farms that raised and trained them here, so yes, you can certainly have greyhounds in Phoenix. However, they are pretty heat sensitive, and you have to be careful not to let them get overheated in the summer, or really any time of year. As Don said, walk early in the morning, stay on grass or dirt as much as possible, keep walks short and in the shade as much as possible. I have noticed that as they get older the heat seems to bother them more. 
Some people use cool coats although I never have. Many of mine have enjoyed laying out in the sun in 100+ temperatures :rolleyes: I just go out and make them come in after a few minutes :lol

Edited by Remolacha

Heat issues can come on suddenly. There's "getting overheated" and "getting critically overheated".

Several years ago when our greyhound group walked in the St Patrick's Day parade one dog was on the verge of collapse. Temperature was in the mid 70s near coastal North Carolina. The dog was not elderly. The parade walk was at a leisurely pace.

The owner hadn't noticed a problem until we were back at our cars. We got the dog cooled down in their car's air conditioning and stressed how important is was that they immediately go to the vet. This was not a "now my dog looks cooler and okay so we'll just go home" situation.

A true case of Rhabdomyolysis requires close monitoring for several days with lab testing.

https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/greyhound-exertional-rhabdomyolysis/?fbclid=IwAR38XzcONQ98TqagHSevmb3UP_XGeCcKiRqzYWBODiq9m9CupZjorXRS2Q4

Other than that info, I defer to our hot hot hot Phoenix area folks here on GT.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I can only speak to having worked a dog in Laredo, TX. Hot summers where the overnight temps didn't dip much below the mid 70s in the summer, which is approximately 8 months out of the year. We tried working in the shade as much as possible, having stock tubs set up for cool dips, and fans blowing on the cages while they were resting. Knowing your dog's limit is important, as is knowing when to make your dog come in to the cool. My Lab would've worked till she dropped, so I made her rest if I had no relief officer.

Here in SC, I limit my two to longer walks in the morning and night, and short p&p the rest of the day. We have the added danger of high humidity, so on those extreme days I will limit all walks to p&p in the full shade.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

2 hours ago, macoduck said:

Heat issues can come on suddenly. There's "getting overheated" and "getting critically overheated".

Several years ago when our greyhound group walked in the St Patrick's Day parade one dog was on the verge of collapse. Temperature was in the mid 70s near coastal North Carolina. The dog was not elderly. The parade walk was at a leisurely pace.

The owner hadn't noticed a problem until we were back at our cars. We got the dog cooled down in their car's air conditioning and stressed how important is was that they immediately go to the vet. This was not a "now my dog looks cooler and okay so we'll just go home" situation.

A true case of Rhabdomyolysis requires close monitoring for several days with lab testing.

https://vetmed.illinois.edu/pet_column/greyhound-exertional-rhabdomyolysis/?fbclid=IwAR38XzcONQ98TqagHSevmb3UP_XGeCcKiRqzYWBODiq9m9CupZjorXRS2Q4

Other than that info, I defer to our hot hot hot Phoenix area folks here on GT.

I had Rocket overheat one time when we lived in IL.  The day was more sunny than hot, but the sun had warmed him too much.  Fortunately we caught it before it got worse. 

We started cooling him down by putting a wet towel on him and continually wetting the towel with the house AC blasting and a large fan blowing on him.  We had to change the towel each time it warmed up. We used the towel because he would not let us pour water directly on him, but wetting the towel didn't seem to bother him. Using the fan we basically had  a swamp cooler effect going to get him cooled down. 

If you dog will allow it in this situation, applying cold wet towels or washcloths to the belly, head and neck will help to cool them down faster. We had to be a little more careful around Rocket due to his space issues. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

We do get hot weather up here in July and August.  It's nothing like Arizona, of course, but the humidity gets super high and none of mine tolerate it very well.

I keep a couple of water spray bottles handy and frequently spritz their bellies, faces and feet.  

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg