Some weight gain in the low belly/unhappy when I touch her

Hi all,

We've had our girl for 9 months now and of course she's gained some weight since getting off the track, I'd say 9-10 pounds increase. We can still see the outline of her back ribs, so I think she's a good weight. We usually make it out for a brisk walk in the evening or a high energy play in the yard. As far as food, she loves it and treats of course, so I do try to keep that in mind when it's feeding time. I'm a bit concerned about this rounder part of her low belly near her groin that I've noticed when she's lying down (she's lean while standing) and the other day I was sitting just gently petting her side and belly while she was resting- which she loves!- and I put both my hands on this rounder part and she immediately jumped up and growled, which was a total surprise because she usually loves gentle rubs right there. 

We lost our first Grey to a tumor which was spreading to his liver, which we had no idea about until he collapsed one night. Our girl is not even four and I'm already feeling afraid she could develop something similar. Does anyone else have experience with this?

This is something your vet needs to look at sooner rather than later.  Particularly if this is getting bigger quickly.  Call them today.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Agreed.  Anything growing like that or that causes a pain reaction needs to be checked by the vet ASAP. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Definitely get the vet to check her over asap; pancreatitis is one possibility.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

When mine lays down her belly can look protruded depending on how she's laying (especially if her head is off the bed). And it's possible she just didn't want her belly touched. So I wouldn't freak out. It's certainly very unlikely she has a tumor though I understand your anxiety. One thing it could be that would cause a distended belly is a bad case of worms. I think it's worth talking to your vet and having her examined, even if it's to put your mind at ease, but try not to stress in the meantime, especially if she's eating/drinking/peeing/pooping normally.

Side note, 10 lbs seems like a lot to gain.

Can you also see the outline of the last couple of ribs?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."