This is more than statuing on walks

We just brought home a 2.5 YO greyhound.  He loves going for walks, which is great, but at some point (distance is not relevant) he flat out refuses to move because we are not going where he wants to go.  He is 75 pounds of stubborn puppy muscle,  I haven't figured out what to do.  Your typical circling, waiting it out, coaxing, switching directions, does not work.  I realize it should ease up with time, but meanwhile I need to do something.  Dragging him isn't good for either of us.  He is this way with a martingale harness or collar.  

Suggestions?  He will even do this walking in our yard.  

Thanks, Cindy 

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Petunia does the same. She would stop and look at me as if to say, "You can call Mom with the car now," because that was the only I could get her back home. 

We figured out that she had corns.  You've probably checked that, but look again just in case.  Hers were not only hard to see or feel, but eventually an errant nail popped out through one of her pads also.  That nail was probably pressing on the inside of the pad and hurt after walking some distance. Now she gets that errant nail dremeled off when she gets her nails done. We've significantly reduced the distance of the walks due to this. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 7:10 PM, dante2zoe said:

We just brought home a 2.5 YO greyhound.  He loves going for walks, which is great, but at some point (distance is not relevant) he flat out refuses to move because we are not going where he wants to go.  He is 75 pounds of stubborn puppy muscle,  I haven't figured out what to do.  Your typical circling, waiting it out, coaxing, switching directions, does not work.  I realize it should ease up with time, but meanwhile I need to do something.  Dragging him isn't good for either of us.  He is this way with a martingale harness or collar.  

Suggestions?  He will even do this walking in our yard.  

Thanks, Cindy 

Ours was (and still is sometimes) the same. And when these big chaps dig their heels in it can be impossible to move them ;-)

I thought at first it was stubborn behaviour but quickly realised form his stance he was just nervous, a bit lazy and had really sore feet. As Time4ANap says above - could be a foot issue? The fact he's fine for a bit and then stops...

Have you had a look at his pads and between his toes? 

Give him time. He's just entered a bewildering new world and it takes time to understand it. Just because he is OK with a new experience one day doesn't mean he will the next. Statuing seems to be one of the many quirks that greyhounds have but it doesn't last forever and they do get over it. Grace was the same, walked OK for the first few days and then when she started to realise this world is more scary and strange than she first realised and she thought that statuing was the answer until she worked it out.

You could find another dog and owner to walk with or try the same way the trainers put the dogs into the traps for races. You stand by the side of your hound facing the same way and put a couple of fingers through his collar. Start walking and using a similar action as if ten pin bowling you pull him with you and firmly say "Let's Go"  and release the collar. This worked with Grace and I had to only do it 4 or 5 times to stop her statuing. 

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

• 3 weeks later...

Back off.  Walk 100 yards, and go home,  Repeat.  

The "world" is a terrifying new place.  Introduce SLOWLY.  If he's cool with 100 yards, turn around and do the same route again.  Do the same short route 3 times if he wants to each walk.  For a few days.

Then, expand a bit.  Go 150 yards.  And repeat that route over and over.  And then more, and more, but repeat, repeat, repeat the same ground. 

Always try to go back home before the fear hits.  I've carried a 75 lb grey home.  I never want to do that again.  

Thanks for all the responses.  Fortunately, he has a little ADHD-type behavior, so we have learned what can distract him somewhat.  We do attempt to turn around when he freezes, but if he is frozen it is because he is focused on something only he knows about and there is no moving him.  But, lots of face massage seems to help to focus him back on us.  Every walk is a different experience and requires a variation of the million methods we have tried.  We will get through this!  I thought Goose was the ultimate in statue-ing - WRONG.  :rofl  

At least here is a picture of our newest addition!

95783527_3231773920189478_6491507871476350976_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_oc=AQk2IV4TrmOcqB3gZZ4VUkXh_PYt4GXYU9XiaO8pCRdzNc6GxSRxIKDgZiZCQ8c4WeI&_nc_ht=scontent-iad3-1.xx&oh=8d572a4cd9258eeeda9d459784ccdf78&oe=5EFE3E63

Image may contain: dog

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

D*mn -he's ripped!!!!  Gorgeous example of a grey in his prime!!!  Also - love the "roach" - that's a happy grey.  

Good for you for reaching out for help - but also good for you for realizing greys will have quirks - just figure them out and move on. 

Lovely dog.  Ask questions as things come up.  This community has seen it all.  

3 hours ago, sobesmom said:

This community has seen it all.

Now there's a challenge :rofl

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time