FUR MONSTER!

Hi Everyone 

I have 2 rescues Lou and Joe, My girl doesnt seem to moult at all. My Boy didnt seem to when we got him home and its been the last month that ive noticed so much hair coming off him. Each time you stroke you have fur over your hands. Im having to hover every day at this point its ridiculous. Does anyone seem to be having this issue? 

Just its stressing me out we have a baby on the way and I wouldnt want to have to keep them out if the front room :( Cleaning is no problem but this feels like its a bit overwhelming in terms of the amount. 

Yes, Buddy has shed enough hair to nearly make another one of him. We have a zoom groom and have just bought a short-toothed comb, but even if we brush him for ten minutes, the next time we stroke him we always bring a load more hair off him! We were talking about it this morning (me and husband, not me and the dog), and neither of us remember him shedding quite this much last year; but it has been warmer, for longer, earlier in the year. This might have something to do with it. I also read somewhere (on this forum I think) that their moulting is affected by the lengthening days as well as the warmth. It must be a heady combination for them!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Is your boy a fawn or lighter coat color than your girl? Generally it seems that the darker coated dogs are sleeker and shed less. Sweep is a fawn with thick soft fur and sheds worse than either of our two cats, one of which is a longhair. The Zoom Groom and Furminator both work well for daily brushing. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

Shedding is a seasonal thing and very individual for every year and every dog.  Sometimes they shed more, sometimes less, sometimes earlier, sometimes later.  Unless you're seeing big patches of bald skin appearing, or patches of scabby and dry skin, it's probably just normal for him this year.  Keep up with daily brushing, and if you want to, give him a bath with a nice oatmeal shampoo to get a bunch of hair out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just accept that your greyhound is just being a greyhound, and like they all do, they like to twist life's normality every now and again. It sounds like you are a house-proud greyhound mum but look at it from your hounds point of view. We are in lockdown and nobody is going to see the effort he is making to add his own touch to the decor and make it a designer pad for the new arrival.

Seriously though, as others have said. Unless bald patches are appearing don't worry about it. My vet recommended Lintbells YuDERM Moulting Dog when Grace was moulting excessively and had flaky skin. It's not cheap but it works for Grace and her coat is soft and shiny and she doesn't shed as much....at the moment.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

there are two distinctive textures of coat- the very tight- most blacks have it and the FLUFFY- almost rabbit coat. sounds like you have one of each. a bath will bring on the shed- which is good. i use PANTENE (human shampoo)- a friend who is a groomer uses it on both her afghans and I.G.s. it's great stuff- easy to obtain. then once dry a rubber hound glove and soft brush to polish off and bring up the oils. i am the only person who does not like the Furminator.  I used to hand strip my terriers in my other life. GH coats(either type) are not at all near the type that needs a tool like that. but you can try. remember to comb/brush out a dry dog and rinse very very well. the residue of soap is what you want to avoid. and dogs blow coats according to the amount of daylight not weather temps. you will be shocked at the next shed as the days shorten. 

oh, i've now started to use Pantene on my hair- what took me so long?

• 3 weeks later...

I was going to ask if it ever stops but sounds like, at least for me, probably not the case, lol.  I will start to brush everyday and see if that makes a difference but sheesh I swear it's neverending for my little one.  

Missing my bridge greys Opal and Eden and cat Bailey. Mom to Missy the Super Mutt and recent foster failure of Miley to mini-mutt.