Just found out Im Pregnant! Need some advice !

Hi All 

I got my 2 rescues Joe & Lou about 4/5 Months ago, They have settled in really well here. My other half says I spoil them with affection! but thats just how I am. He tells me they are to stay on the other sofa in the front room and not to get one ours. But what can I say I love a cuddle and I do have them up on my lap sometimes. :p

Ive just found out im pregnant, and I know its silly but I am worried what the dynamics will be like for them both when baby has arrived, Is it likely for there to be jealous do you think? Also they have both almost got hold of next doors cats and when out on walks are hyper vigilant and will be ready to go at any minute. I know this is natural as they only came off the tracks racing only 6 months ago. Just I worry as babys are so small and what with how they both sometimes act with high pitched noises.... Im sure you can see what im getting at. 

Can anyone offer any advice please? Just stressing about this an awful lot  :(

thumbnail.jfif

You are wise to have a plan before hand! Some greyhounds have never even seen a little child before and could possible confuse it with prey at first until they learn different. Then some greyhounds that have never seen children just for some reason like them and are great kid dogs. I had one like that. He was a big male, had never even seen a child before, but immediately gravitated to them and enjoyed their company! He was kind and gentle right from the start. But he was an exception! With most hounds you need to be very careful with until you are sure they understand that the baby is actually a little human and not prey. I would show them the baby, let them sniff it if they want, and then just let time work its magic. Time means months possibly, not weeks, and really I would be hesitant to trust any dog around a child (for the dogs protection as much as the kids) without supervision. But honestly I don't see a problem.  The houndies will get used to the baby and will come to understand it is part of their pack family. Thats the way it should work. Now yes there are some hounds that simply have such a high prey drive it just won't work but those kind of hounds are also unusual. What you described was normal prey drive which should not be a problem as long as you calmly and confidently proceed along with integrating in your new pack member. Greyhounds are smart and they have big ol' loving hearts and they should learn and adjust without any major issues. But do understand that doesn't mean you can let them closely interact with the baby, at least at first, because I can assure you that would stress them out probably and then start a negative association right from the beginning. Show them the baby, let them sniff it, tell them who it is, and then just go about your business. You want every experience they have with the baby to be positive so they realize it is a GOOD thing and nothing to be stressed about. They will figure it all out if gently and carefully guided along like that. And never never let the child pull on their ears or poke them etc. But just be careful and enjoy the journey. I wouldn't think you will have any problems as long as you don't rush things and if you take a lot of time and always supervise.

Good advice above.

<He tells me they are to stay on the other sofa in the front room and not to get one ours. But what can I say I love a cuddle and I do have them up on my lap sometimes. :p>

I would add that pregnancy aside, having you and DH on the same page as far as training goes is absolutely essential.

Congrats!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

They are used to sharing their home with each other as well as you and your husband so the chances that sharing with the new baby won't be a problem just never leave them alone with the child.

I know what you mean about high pitched noises. Screaming children send Grace running for the hills but I think that's because she can't always see the source of the noise. Once they realise where the high pitched yodelling comes from they should be OK.

Also babies don't move that fast and smell different to cats :daisy

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Relax.  Greys will NOT see a baby as prey. Yes - they are small and squeal - but they don't run. Greys are sight-hounds.  If it doesn't run - it doesn't trigger hunt mode.  Your dogs WILL NOT see the baby as a prey target.  And they DO understand the difference between a tiny human and a squirrel.

Take a breath.. 

Now - there are things you should do to include your baby into the pack when it's born.  Bring something with the baby's scent on in into the house.  Introduce them outside the house.  Of course, never leave the baby alone with the dogs. 

There are lots of resources on the topic,  Read - prepare - but don't panic. 

I had a friend bring a small baby sleeping in a carseat into my house with my 2 greys, and a foster.  They all sniffed her and walked away.  No issues.  The Foster, who was an older female, layed by the baby's side all evening.  I got her a blanket because she was falling asleep beside the baby instead of in one of the cushy beds.  My 2  greys had no interest in the baby at all.  

With our first grey, we made absolutely sure to prioritize training the child to stay away from the dog's beds and leave her alone. It was so important to us that this was respected for the hound's happiness.

Our son is now 6, we have had 4 hounds come into the house over the years and only one didn't work well with the kiddo - the high-prey, high-energy male and the one year old kid running through the house screaming were not a good combo. 

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20