Anti-inflammatory advice

Our almost-8-year-old boy, Finn, started limping 2.5 weeks ago. It was clearly his back right leg, but he was still eating, playing, happy and running around - also wasn't showing any crankiness when we poked & prodded. Also noticed the limp was more pronounced on hard surfaces and improved on carpet/grass. We took him to the vet when it didn't improve after a week - the vet couldn't find anything (though my husband didn't insist, as I requested, on x-rays). However, we were told to "rest" him and give him Rimadyl. He had 1 dose that Monday afternoon at the vet, then 2 doses on Tuesday and finally another 1 on Wednesday morning.

Then the vomiting started. He threw up twice after breakfast (about 2.5-3 hours later) and again after his afternoon snacks. I refused to give him another dose of Rimadyl and made him chicken & rice for dinner. I gave him a small amount (maybe 1/3 cup), which he threw up. Knowing that he also has issues with vomiting when his stomach is empty and concerned about deydration, I made him some chicken broth and he threw that up. Then threw up again overnight and again the early next morning (around 4'ish). Finally was able to keep food down later that morning and had no more episodes; however, he will get no more Rimadyl.

Just took him back in as his symptoms are not improving. I've checked for corns about 10x (including using the toothpaste method) and found nothing. He's still running around, despite our efforts to keep him calm and not going on walks (which is making him miserable). Insisted on x-rays since we lost a grey to osteo a few years back - but the vet just called that after more poking & prodding, Finn reacted and "screamed bloody murder" when he pushed on his right-side groin (no reaction on the left). He thinks it's an iliopsoas strain. He is still at the vet since they'll have to lightly sedate him for x-rays - but I'm sure if the groin strain diagnosis is consistent, he'll recommend anti-inflammatories. 

Since he clearly cannot have Rimadyl - are there others that anyone would suggest for sensitive greyhounds? He's not on any other medications (other than heartworm meds), still eating and acting normally and no more vomiting episodes since we ceased the Rimadyl. 

Edited by Sundrop

Every dog is different, but Sweep has been on Previcox off and on for almost five years with no ill effects. She could not tolerate Meloxicam. Galliprant is a newer one that is supposed to be gentler on their systems. Best of luck! Hope Finn feels better soon.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

There are quite a few nsaids that you can try try, but *I* would start by asking for liquid meloxicam.  The liquid form seems to be better tolerated and easier on sensitive systems, and the dosing can be very exact.  The downside is it has to be syringed into their mouths which can be "fun" to accomplish.  Fortunately the doses are usually small and easily swallowed if you get it back in their mouth far enough.

Rachel above mentioned Galliprant which is also supposed to be better tolerated.  I have not had any personal experience with it, but that does seem to be the reported case.  We have always used rimadyl or meloxican.

Make sure you give an anti acid like Prilosec (or generic) 20 minutes before eating, and that he eats a good amount of food prior to giving *any* nsaid.  The Prilosec acts to protect the stomach from the harshness of the nsaid.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have always had good luck with the liquid Meloxicam as well, but as Rachel said, some dogs can’t tolerate it, but that is true of any medication, you just have to try. Conner was on Galliprant for a few months, I didn’t notice any side effects. He did fine on that and Meloxicam (and gabapentin, but that isn’t an anti inflammatory) but couldn’t take Previcox. So, you just need to try him and see.

I should add that Sweep was on the Meloxicam pill, so it's possible the liquid would have worked out better for her since the dosing is more accurate. 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

2 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

my dogs have done very well on mexoxicam- the liquid is easier to accurately dose. i'm on 15mg daily- it's a wonder drug.

15mg?  wow, Larry's takes a 1/2 of a 7mg pill of Meloxicam (so 3.75mg) once a day and he is 87 #.  :omg

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Two of my seniors have been on Deramaxx for several years with no ill effects. It works for them.

Good luck!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My grey Jack had the same injury, it took a very long time to heal and he was in a lot of pain until we found the right meds.  Jack did well with Meloxicam (liquid), Gabapentin and Methocarbamol.  I too was worried about OS, X rays were clear and I did consult with Dr. Couto who concurred with my vet on the iliopsoas injury.  Jack made a full recovery but he does tweak it if he plays too hard.  I hope Finn starts to feel better soon.  If you search iliopsoas injury on Greytalk you can find more info.

Try Meloxicam liquid. You don't necessarily have to syringe this into them. Put on some shredded chicken breast in a bowl and the dog will wolf it down and then clean the bowl. You may not even need to give the maximum dose. Corns? Also look for cracks in the pads. Human urea-based heel balm can help a lot.

If using Meloxicam or other NSAIDs it will help against gut inflammation to give Famitodene or Omeprazole for the duration.

Thanks, all! 

His x-rays showed nothing abnormal and the only response the vet got was the one time he screamed when he pushed on that right side of his groin. He couldn't re-create it and I asked that he not be too aggressive, as Finn is pretty sensitive. :(

So, we are going with the initial diagnosis - if I don't see improvement in 4-6 weeks, I'll check about getting an MRI done. I hate even thinking about it, because Finn really doesn't do well in clinical environments - he gets so stressed out. 

Vet gave us 5 days worth of Galliprant (60mg) and Methocarbamol (500mg). The Galliprant is one every 24 hours - so I gave him a dose last night w/ dinner (as directed by the vet & the prescription bottle) - @tbhounds - you mentioned I should give him this on an empty stomach?? I haven't started him on the Methocarbamol because I'm concerned that if he has a reaction, I won't know which drug he's reacting to if I give him both at one time. 

He's driving me a bit mad because he's still running around like he's a puppy and walking him in the backyard on a leash so he won't run is making him not want to go! He's a booger!

23 hours ago, Sundrop said:

Thanks, all! 

His x-rays showed nothing abnormal and the only response the vet got was the one time he screamed when he pushed on that right side of his groin. He couldn't re-create it and I asked that he not be too aggressive, as Finn is pretty sensitive. :(

So, we are going with the initial diagnosis - if I don't see improvement in 4-6 weeks, I'll check about getting an MRI done. I hate even thinking about it, because Finn really doesn't do well in clinical environments - he gets so stressed out. 

Vet gave us 5 days worth of Galliprant (60mg) and Methocarbamol (500mg). The Galliprant is one every 24 hours - so I gave him a dose last night w/ dinner (as directed by the vet & the prescription bottle) - @tbhounds - you mentioned I should give him this on an empty stomach?? I haven't started him on the Methocarbamol because I'm concerned that if he has a reaction, I won't know which drug he's reacting to if I give him both at one time. 

He's driving me a bit mad because he's still running around like he's a puppy and walking him in the backyard on a leash so he won't run is making him not want to go! He's a booger!

Galipriant should be given with or without food but, the clinic I work for always states to give without food as they feel it’s more effectively absorbed given on an empty tummy-perhaps your vet feels differently.   I know that differs from all of the other nsaid instructions. 

On 4/22/2020 at 3:43 PM, RaineysMom said:

15mg?  wow, Larry's takes a 1/2 of a 7mg pill of Meloxicam (so 3.75mg) once a day and he is 87 #.  :omg

and i don't get drowsy- osteoarthritis- i literally fee the dog's pain- (and i also take 500mg Tylenol as needed)

before investing in $$$$ MRI, digital x-rays and send them off to Dr. Couto?? were the x-rays digital? much better quality- and too often a dog shows pain before anything is visible. when i needed x-rays on both annie and emily i insisted upon digital- of course it was a hunt since it's a love hate relationship w/ vets and maintaining their $$$ x-ray machines. they love the quality- hate the maintance

Edited by cleptogrey

1 hour ago, cleptogrey said:

and i don't get drowsy- osteoarthritis- i literally fee the dog's pain- (and i also take 500mg Tylenol as needed)

before investing in $$$$ MRI, digital x-rays and send them off to Dr. Couto?? were the x-rays digital? much better quality- and too often a dog shows pain before anything is visible. when i needed x-rays on both annie and emily i insisted upon digital- of course it was a hunt since it's a love hate relationship w/ vets and maintaining their $$$ x-ray machines. they love the quality- hate the maintance

oops, I missed the part where YOU were taking the 15mg LOL  makes a lot more sense now :D

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway