Hookworm and Pyrantel Pamoate

Hi Everyone!

To get right to the point, I picked up my retired racer yesterday and was told by the adoption rep that I should buy pyrantel pamoate on Amazon because of hookworms.  I've never heard of this and didn't know what it was until she briefly explained it to me, and I want to make sure I start to address it right away since it sounds like it can take the better part of a year to (hopefully) treat.

I have a vet appointment scheduled for the 6th of May (earliest I could get it).  I was told by the adoption group to give him 10mL/day for 3 days in a row, for three weeks.  After that, move to one dose a month.  But, I've seen wildly different amounts and timeframes online and want to hear from you if this has been successful or not in getting your doggos healthy.  Not to mention, she didn't tell me how to give this to him -- over food or straight into his mouth?  What are the adverse reactions that I can expect?

Any help or advise is appreciated!

I would worm especially if you don't have an appointment until May. Also be most diligent in clean up poop. 

it's  good for hook and round worms. i would mix it in some canned food. according to what i just read: Dose 1cc per 10 pounds- cc and ML are interchangeable. do you have something to measure it with? make sure you get the right size needless syringe. they are cheap.

a google search will have all of your answers.https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=ALeKk00yDSrSCiSGnj-W8g52saq6s5ZfzQ%3A1587473435594&ei=G-yeXoHdI_ylytMP9YCamAQ&q=pyrantel+pamoate+dosage+chart+for+dogs&oq=pyrantel+pamoate+for+dogs&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHUABYAGCPtwloAHACeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

it's the active ingredient in many wormers ie. Strongid. i've gone that route w/ wormers- ivomec- for heart worm, Safe-guard- goat wormer (Fenbendazole) . safe guard just went up in price but IVOMEC is a steal even when you need to purchase syringes to pull it out of the vile. as to heart worms- unless your group has tested make sure your pup is tested and don't start meds until test results- it's a snap test and results take 15 min. 

congrats on your new pup- which group in ct. did you adopt from? i'm in westchester county- 

Edited by cleptogrey

3 hours ago, cleptogrey said:

I would worm especially if you don't have an appointment until May. Also be most diligent in clean up poop. 

it's  good for hook and round worms. i would mix it in some canned food. according to what i just read: Dose 1cc per 10 pounds- cc and ML are interchangeable. do you have something to measure it with? make sure you get the right size needless syringe. they are cheap.

a google search will have all of your answers.https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=ALeKk00yDSrSCiSGnj-W8g52saq6s5ZfzQ%3A1587473435594&ei=G-yeXoHdI_ylytMP9YCamAQ&q=pyrantel+pamoate+dosage+chart+for+dogs&oq=pyrantel+pamoate+for+dogs&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQARgBMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHMgQIABBHUABYAGCPtwloAHACeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQCqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab

it's the active ingredient in many wormers ie. Strongid. i've gone that route w/ wormers- ivomec- for heart worm, Safe-guard- goat wormer (Fenbendazole) . safe guard just went up in price but IVOMEC is a steal even when you need to purchase syringes to pull it out of the vile. as to heart worms- unless your group has tested make sure your pup is tested and don't start meds until test results- it's a snap test and results take 15 min. 

congrats on your new pup- which group in ct. did you adopt from? i'm in westchester county- 

Thanks for your reply!  I adopted him from Forever Home Greyhound Adoption in NY.  The rep that met with me when we picked him up told me to give 10mL 3 days in a row for three weeks, and then three days in a row once a month, but they didn't mention how I should be giving it to him or if I should expect any side effects.

He's been lethargic all day since coming home from our morning walk at 6:30, and I just took him out and his stool was very mucus-y and several colors.  Brown, red, and yellow (but I don't know if it was blood or just the coloring of the mucus).  I chatted into the vet again and asked about it, and they suggested I go to the vet today to be checked out since it could potentially be blood, but my family is saying I should wait until the next "passing" to see if it was just a one-off occurrence.  I'm really not sure what to do here since my insurance isn't effective until 5/1 and I have an appointment scheduled on 5/6.

If you’re giving the 50mg/ml dose of pyrantel  10mls is a heavy dose.  Usually you give 1ml/10lb body weight.  So, if your hound is 70lbs you would give 7mls.  10ml would treat a 100lb dog.  You will still need to give panacur as part of a hookworm de-worming protocol.  You will also need to apply monthly Advantage as part as the protocol.  There’s lots of info out there about greyhounds and hookworms- they’re a real pita to treat but, with persistence they can be beat.  Congratulations on your new adoption! 

If you do a search here on the forum you will find a LOT of threads about hookworm.  Scanning through the most recent of them should get you more information that you ever wanted to know about parasites and their treatment.

Just as an alternative, my vet has been trialing using the reformulated ProHeart 6 or ProHeart 12 shots to eliminate and control hookworms.  My latest girl came to us with a case, too, and we treated conventionally for 5 months before getting a negative test.  We did the shot after that test and she has been negative since then (4 mos).  The thinking is that the issue with most oral treatments is the timing - you need to catch the hooks in the proper stage of their life for the treatment to kill them.  The advantage of ProHeart is that it's a continuous treatment for 6 months (or 12 months), so there's no need to redose weekly/monthly or take the chance of missing the right timing.  I have all three of my current dogs on it and we've had zero issues with side effects or unexpected problems.  And no hookworms!!

Whichever way you choose, it's important to get this under control as soon as possible.  Hooks can destroy a dog's intestinal lining and cause issues for the dog long after the parasites are gone.  

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• 4 weeks later...

@greysmom

Hello-

I just read your post about Proheart shots.  I'd not heard of this therapy for hookworms. We adopted our grey on March 15 and discovered the hookworm within 2 weeks. We've done Advantage-multi, panacur and Advantage multi again(after 2 weeks).  We fear the parasites are in his organs and it will be a while before we get rid of them.  How new is the protocol for the Proheart injection? Is it more effective bc the amount of medication is 3x the topical treatment?  Is it still in a trial stage?

Thanks in advance for your help!

JFitz in Northern CO