My first greyhound -- Greyson Frankie

Hi Everyone!

I'm so excited to be able to finally post a picture of my adopted retired racer, Greyson Frankie!  Greyson turned four in January and comes from Florida by way of Albany, NY.

Last night was the first night in the house and it went better than expected.  He cried a bit when we went to bed (crate is in the living room because there's not much space in the bedroom with me), and although I had a hard time with it, he calmed down after a little while and seems to have slept through the night.  I woke up and made a point to brush my teeth and get ready for the day a little bit before letting him out and he cried a little, but we had a great walk and he didn't soil the crate overnight!

He's already making himself at home, albeit a bit slowly.  Still getting used to the idea of laying on his dog bed, and he's yet to experience the magic of the couch.  He does love his squeaker toys and blankets, though!

If anyone has any tips on how I should be introducing the crate each day to hopefully end the crying at night, that would be great!

IMG_5170.jpg

They like to be where you are and that is the hard part with the crate being in another room.  Maybe you could sleep in the room with the crate for a bit.  Congratulations.  He is very handsome.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

What stunning stripes!

You can make the crate a generally enjoyable experience for Greyson.  Always leave the door open when you aren't restricting him to it, with comfy blankets and toys inside.  You could feed him his meals in the crate.  When you do close the door on him, maybe give him a long-lasting treat such as a kong filled with peanut butter.  

I, too, only use the crate for the first week or so, until I can tell the dog can handle being loose in the house.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thanks, everyone, for the tips!  He's already eaten breakfast so I'll try the mealtime in the crate this evening, as well as the Kong with PB.  He seems to love his toys that squeak, but I'm nervous about putting them in there with him overnight in case he rips it open and swallows the squeaker -- at least for now while we're still settling in.

I may try and move my bedroom around as well if the crying doesn't seem to stop after a few days.  I don't mind where he sleeps as long as he's sleeping, ha!  So if this will do the trick, I'm all for a bit of rearrangement.  

How do you know when the right time to open up the room is?  So far, he seems to stay away from wires and anything on the tables and my work desk, but I'd hate to hear a crash in the middle of the night and see my tables flipped LOL

How do you know when the right time to open up the room is

Try confining him to one section of a room, if you can, either with babygates or furniture.  (Investing in a sturdy, easy-to-operate babygate or 2 will make life much simpler in many ways in the future.)  Bathrooms and kitchen, or anyplace with an easy-to-clean floor, can be good options.  However you do it, try to arrange it so the hound can see out of the space.  They are sighthounds -- they want to SEE.  In other words, don't just shut the door on him in the bathroom.  You could do both -- put the open-door crate inside the confined area.   How does he handle it, either for a short or long time? 

One of the nice things about greyhounds as a breed is that they don't tend to do things like flip tables and jump babygates.  :)  Of course, that wagging tail can clear a coffee table in 2 seconds.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Congratulations and well done for getting anything out of New York because it sounds like a bit of a nightmare in that area at the moment ☹️.

3 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

They are sighthounds -- they want to SEE.  In other words, don't just shut the door on him in the bathroom

hahaha! I still have a constant companion when I need to use the facilities. He either stares at me until I feel uncomfortable or he wedges himself between my legs. I do close the door when we have visitors, you’ll be pleased to know 😊

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

we decided to adopt a girl who had been previously adopted but given back after a week due to severe separation anxiety. we knew we wanted her to sleep downstairs so it got to bedtime and we gave her a kong and went up. she howled all night and tried to jump the stair gate. eventually at 1am i went and slept in the living room near her. the next night, she howled for 20 mins and then settled and went to bed. by the third night she didn’t make a sound. large spaces can overwhelm greys, we don’t use a crate but when she’s left by herself we shut her in our hallway which is quite small. just persevere, what a beautiful dog!

congrats!  He is very handsome!

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 1 month later...