Backyard games

Shirley

Hello everyone! We just had a fence installed and with the nice weather starting to arrive, we are looking for ways to play with our grey in the backyard. She is not a big fan of toys, but she does like to play with them once in a while.

She does however REALLY love to smell everything. Are there any games that you know of that we can do to entertain her (and us!)? I have already been told to toss her meal out in the yard for her to sniff it out, and I look forward to seeing how that goes.

Many Greys just don't like to 'play'.  

Stuffies with squeakers sometimes perk them up but only for a few minutes.

How old is your girl?  The younger dogs may want to play more than an older one.

Our 3 yr old Galgo LOVES toys. He's just happy to toss them about and squeak them and we have been lucky as he doesn't chew on them and take the stuffing out.  He also loves his 'flirt' pole -a horse longe line with a stuffie attached to the end.  We only play with this outside. 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

She'll do zoomies a couple times a week, and likes to play with her Lamb Chop squeakie. Both only last for a minute or two. Sometimes we can get her to go longer.

She's 4. I do know she likes the little duster things that are made of fluffy fabric so I plan on making her one out of felt that hasn't dusted the living room. :lol:

She's been enjoying sniffing out the backyard while not on a leash.

I'm in lockdown (and can't leave house or take dogs to dog park so they are really going stir crazy!).  One is a greyhound rescue mix and one a Swiss Shepherd who are used to having a physical outlet to run/sprint every day.  I've increased training sessions to get them better at stay and come (to the point where I can then go hide in other parts of the house and have them come find me when I call from afar).  The other game that's working really well is to put them outside when I leave tiny treats hidden throughout whole house - in slightly ajar cupboards, behind curtains, under pillows, in various nooks and crannies.  I think let them in and ask them 'where is it?' and then spend the next 20 minutes sniffing every inch of the house (sometimes in tandem, sometimes independently).  It goes on for some time after the last treat has been found.  At first I thought I would have to be careful and remember where I hid everything so nothing would rot, but absolutely no worries there!  They are thorough!All you can hear is intensive sniffing and then they seem to nap well afterwards :)

Fun times ahead!

She sounds like a natural candidate for "nosework."  Google it -- there are formal training steps, and just-for-fun games.  

Just because she's not a big toy fan doesn't mean she wouldn't love the lure/flirt pole mentioned above.  It taps into a dog's instinct to chase.  Mine are absolutely crazy for it.  You can buy a horse lunge whip, or make one from a bamboo pole and rope.  It does take a human with sturdy balance.  :)  hounds on lure pole

Hurdles.  Teach them to jump over low barriers that won't hurt their feet/legs if they knock into them.  I used to use paper bags full of newspapers-to-be-recycled for inside in the winter.  Or you could lay a yardstick or swimming noodle on some overturned buckets.  Lay out a course of hurdles around your yard and pretend you're at the Westminster agility championship.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter