The Grapehound Wine Tour® July 23-26, 2020

countrypaws

We hope everyone is home staying safe from this nasty corona virus.  We also hope you are using some of the time taking some long walks and enjoying some time with your hounds.  Susie and I find that our greyhounds and our walks are one of the bright spots in our daily routine.   (I tell people that our life is so boring, staying at home hasn't changed our life much at all!)

First, at this early date (and we are still months away) we plan to hold the Grapehound Wine Tour® as planned.  The only reason we would cancel the event is if we are asked to do so by local or state authorities.  Greyhound groups depend on the money we raise.  We think that after these widespread "stay at home" orders expire, everyone is going to be readyby mid-summer for some time with greyhound people, some wine buying (especially some wine buying) and some greyhound shopping.

We're adding Boundary Breaks Winery as our Wednesday night venue for Early Birds.  It is a gorgeous winery with a view of Seneca Lake.  Other host wineries again will include Atwater Estate Vineyards, Hazlitt 1852 Vineyards, Catharine Valley Winery, and Fulkerson Winery.

This is a critical time in the world of greyhound events.  As you know, these events--- whether it's Greyhounds in Gettysburg®, Mountain Hounds, The Grapehound Wine Tour®, Beach Bound Hounds, or Greyhounds Reach the Beach® -- raise tens thousands of dollars to help bring ex-racing greyhounds from the racetracks and find them homes.  This process of greyhound adoption is not cheap.  Groups most often have to pay for transportation and  vetting, including shots, deworming and dental cleanings, and that's not counting if a dog is not in perfect health.  When you combine the stresses of this global pandemic on these events along with the fact that some Florida tracks are closing their doors early due to the virus, this creates what has been described by one greyhound official as a "perfect storm:"  many dogs in need and not as much money available to help them.

You know, even without this pandemic, greyhound events are getting smaller or slowly going away.  Remember Greyhounds Rock Fredericksburg?   Some probably don't.  It's gone.  Beach Bound Hounds is closing after their event this year.  Last year their event was washed out by a hurricane.   They did everything right and their event still had to be cancelled.   The event held by the Greyhound Gang in Kanab, Utah, is not being held this year.  The managers of most events (and I speak mainly for myself) are getting older and the times are more challenging.  Harder to find suitable venues, harder to get liability insurance, harder to find volunteers willing to do the hard and laborious task of staging a major event.

So what can you do?

We know some folks are really financially strapped right now and it's all they can do to get by.  We understand that.  But if you can help your favorite greyhound group or your local SPCA, now is the time to help.  They can't hold the find raisers or picnics which they usually use to support their adoption efforts.  So, please support them if you can.  The need for homes for dogs does not just go away because we're afraid of a virus.

But if you can financially help support your local adoption groups or your favorite events, please do so.  Your support will help us to help more greyhounds.  

Another fun thing thing you may wish to do to help the hounds is to buy one of our specialty greyhound shirts to show off in your neighborhood when you walk your hounds.  Our first shirt this spring is about to be rolled out for sale.  It's a gorgeous blue shirt called "Walking the Dog," perhaps a most appropriate name for a shirt at this time in history, since walking our dogs is one of the things most of us can still do outside the home.  This shirt is cute as a bug.  We'll be sending more information in a day or two on this shirt in our monthly email.  Look for it.  If you're not on our email subscription list, you can add your name at www.grapehounds.com   (Look for the the words 'Sign up for email updates...'  )

Another thing we're doing is having a drawing for those who'd like to get a shirt but can't buy one at this time.  We're going to give away five shirts in your size for free through a drawing.  If you have ever bought one of our shirts in the past, then you're eligible for our drawing!  More details in our next email.

So, please stay safe and hug your hounds as we try to get through this corona virus thing together.  Look for our email about the first shirt in a series of fun shirts we'll be offering this spring to pick up people's spirits and help the greyhounds.  We think we all need a bright spot at a difficult time and we need to help our adoption groups and help the hundreds of hounds which need homes. 

Above all, please do what you need to do to stay safe.

Larry B., President

The Grapehound Wine Tour, Inc.

I can't WAIT for this to come out as an email update for everyone not on Greytalk!! please send so that I can forward. We are planning on being there unless we are unable to due to ongoing restrictions that mean the tasting rooms aren't open. 

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

• 1 month later...

We just wanted to let everyone know that registration is now open for The Grapehound Wine Tour®, July 21-26, 2020.  For those not familiar with the event, The Grapehound Wine Tour is a gathering of sighthound owners hled at wineries in the beautiful Finger Lakes region of New York near Watkins Glen.  The event features wine-tasting, brew pubs, music, greyhound vendors and a Sunday walk to nearby 215 ft. Taughannock Falls.

We will be taking steps to avoid large gatherings of people in closed spaces this year, and instead, we will be emphasizing well-spaced outdoor activities.   Wineries are working hard to create personal wine tasting experiences without any crowds.  We also wanted to announce that we have a great new purple logo three-ply cloth mask which is a classy but economical way to stay safe when you go out and about.  You can register and see our new Grapehound logo mask here:      https://shop.grapehounds.com/products

Edited by countrypaws

Hi, Larry!  We are planning to go to Grapehounds.  Even with the necessary changes, it is an event that we so look forward to.  And this year, we really need it.

We got our T-shirts, and love them---so well done.  And the graphic is beautiful.

We are going to register soon.  I was wondering---we are planning to order the Grapehound masks.  If we do, will they be mailed before the event?  We could really use them now. :nod

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• 4 weeks later...

Hi  - can't come to Grapehounds but I did order 3 masks!  I've always loved the logo and who doesn't need more masks?!?!  Have a great time, be safe but enjoy!!  SOMEDAY I'll make it up there for the event...  (usually go to Dewey and always go to GIG... well, not this year of course...)

Jeannine with Lili & Okie, the kitty sisters and Cody grey-girl waiting at the bridge (along with kitties Weenie & Merlin)

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone here is planning to go to Grapehounds.  We are. And are cautiously optimistic.  The virus spikes and scaling back of everything is worrisome., and we plan to be really careful. Of course, it will be very different, but we're ready for that.  Staying at Sned Acres campground for the 4th year, we think it's the perfect place to just relax---and definitely social distance.  We'll probably be spending more time there, which is fine.  We just feel like we need to get away from home for a while.  In the past, we've come home with a ton of wine, but I think that will change this year, though there are certain wines from certain wineries that we know we like.  We won't be able to taste as much on site, so we'll see how getting a bottle or a glass and sitting outside goes.

Oh, we got our masks, and love them!

Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon

I haven't decided yet. Will be fairly game day decision wise. I do need to reach out to my sitter to see if she wants to stay here with Skye. If not, that makes things a lot less likely. 

But yes, if we go, things will be different. Violet can't do as much these days anyway so we will likely spend a lot more time at our home base at Seneca Lodge, but that's fine with me 

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Tricia and Jen, it would be great to see you guys---from an acceptable distance, of course. :lol  We need a change of scenery too.

We reserved our trailer when we checked out last year, and found out we get a 7th night free when we stay 6 nights.  And since Doug is now retired, and we lost our Simon kitty, we can stay longer, so we'll be there from Monday to Monday.  We just didn't know it would be so different.  Any ideas for other stuff to do, scenic places to see?

DOes anyone know if masks I ordered have been sent?  Can't make it up there but looking forward to my stylin' masks!!!

Jeannine with Lili & Okie, the kitty sisters and Cody grey-girl waiting at the bridge (along with kitties Weenie & Merlin)

On 7/3/2020 at 3:29 PM, queenwinniesmom said:

Tricia and Jen, it would be great to see you guys---from an acceptable distance, of course. :lol  We need a change of scenery too.

We reserved our trailer when we checked out last year, and found out we get a 7th night free when we stay 6 nights.  And since Doug is now retired, and we lost our Simon kitty, we can stay longer, so we'll be there from Monday to Monday.  We just didn't know it would be so different.  Any ideas for other stuff to do, scenic places to see?

I’ll bet Richard can come up with a list. He knows that area very well (and has the dead relatives there to prove it).  I’ll try to remember to ask him.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

5 hours ago, Mercsmom said:

I’ll bet Richard can come up with a list. He knows that area very well (and has the dead relatives there to prove it).  I’ll try to remember to ask him.

That would be great!

Jeannine, you should have gotten the masks by now.  We got ours at least a week ago.  When did you order yours?

Richard's hit list:

Lodi Point State Park – This is a Godsend when you’re hot and tired and your hotel is too far away to go for a nap.  You can walk in the water, cool off your hound, put in a boat if you have one.  The first time we went to Grapehounds, Mercury was spookish and we were all hot and cranky.  We drove up Seneca Lake and looked for a boat launch.  Merc stood in the water for about an hour.  My husband talked to other people putting their boats in.  We were all saved by the presence of water.

Hector Falls

Montour Falls just south of Watkins Glen.  This is in the village.  Park your car, walk around town, get an ice cream, see the falls.

Corning Museum (in Corning) is an excellent trip

Taughannock Falls State Park – Don’t miss this on Sunday.  It’s such fun with a passel of greyhounds, many of the sitting in the shallow water.

Watkins Glen – This is a hike from the road.  I have no idea if hounds are allowed.

gallery_27202_3534_9390.jpg

Momma to Jupiter.  Mummy to my Bridge Angels, Mercury and Liberty, the world's best blackngreylabhound

Thanks, Elizabeth!  We've been to some of those.  Hector Falls of course.  And Montour Falls, we saw some years ago, but I'd like to re-visit it again.  So cool to see a waterfall behind someone's house!  And the little town is worth a visit.  I'd forgotten about it.

We went to Taughannock Falls a couple times, but it's been a while, and I'd like to do it again.  I'm not sure Doug could do the walk all the way to the Falls though.  Are you going to do it on Sunday?

Lodi Point sounds really interesting!  I'm going to research it further---this is what I'm looking for.

The Museum, we'd have to leave the dogs in the trailer, and I don't think that's an option.:(

I'm wondering when we'll get our E Booklets.  Larry, if you're reading this, can you give us an idea?  We're leaving on Monday.  Thanks!

A lot of the wineries are requesting reservations or are allowing very limited numbers.   I've had friends cancel going because favorite vineyards aren't able to accommodate.  

Double check the wineries you want to go to, before you go.  It will save some disappointment.  

Either way, have fun and please stay safe (and safely distanced).  Be careful folks.  

The booklet is very detailed on what wineries are doing. We’ve been going for many years, and are going next week. We don’t really need to do tastings. We plan to just visit our favorites, buy some bottles and hang out outside.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Leaving early tomorrow, with an abundance of caution.  Yes, it will be very different, but we love the Finger Lakes and this event so much that we are looking forward to it.  Reserving is fine, and we'll just visit our favorites too, maybe have a glass outside,  and buy the wines we already know we like.

And apparently, buy something to eat so we can drink the wine! Won't hurt.

Hope to see you, Laura!

We'll be doing our usual hang out on the lawn at Lakewood on Sunday afternoon drinking lots of Candeo. Stop by! Not sure what other plans are in store right now.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Got my masks - thanks!!  Have fun, everyone!  Hope it's not as hot there as in the DC area!!

MD and VA have been added to the list of states needing to quarantine for 14 days. 
https://13wham.com/news/coronavirus/31-states-now-on-ny-travel-advisory-list-for-coronavirus-quarantine

Maureen, Sean, Molly (Garnett Madonna) and Sully (Starz Top Style)

gallery_1382_2909_6961.jpg

Visit LongDog Leather Works for adjustable leather martingales, wrap around leather tag bags, breakaway tag necklaces and cool leather people gear. Check out our Etsy store!

On 7/21/2020 at 3:12 PM, TinyMityMo said:

MD and VA have been added to the list of states needing to quarantine for 14 days. 
https://13wham.com/news/coronavirus/31-states-now-on-ny-travel-advisory-list-for-coronavirus-quarantine

Canceled my trip for this reason. I would have been there by now. Instead I did yoga, replaced electrical outlets, and picked up my CSA in this horrific heat and humidity. :(

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."