The best combo?

smt

We have a 2 year old female, Bette, who is damn near perfect in our book.  We are considering adding a second dog, bc this year seems to be the year to do it if we think we might want to chip.  We have a female foster here now, and there was initially a lot of growling and snarking, which was not fun to oversee. That has calmed down over the past 2 weeks, but we still do not feel comfortable leaving them alone together, unsupervised, even to walk to the mailbox.  My question is related to gender combo's.  Tell me your experience with female/female combo's vs. female/male combo's.  I know a lot will depend on the individual dog's personalities.  I am looking more for generalities.  Thanks in advance.

Yes, it's more about personality than gender.

BUT

The common belief is that two females have more difficulties and clashes and two males or two dogs of mixed gender.  I think it's more that the girls are more bossy and more inclined to speak their mind than the boys.  :dunno   That's just a HUGE generality though.  We currently have three females (ages 8 1/2, 4 1/2, and 2) and we are all getting along great.  There are some loud disagreements at times over bed space or resource guarding, but they are over quickly with no lingering effects.  Otherwise, they get along fine - much better than I expected them to actually.   I would have your current two wear muzzles if you don't feel comfortable leaving them alone and you need to.

So if Bette has a particularly strong personality, I would definitely have her meet any prospective housemates prior to adoption/foster, and watch her body language during this meeting closely.  Her reaction will be subtle, as greyhounds are inclined to get along in the first place, so be vigilant.  If your group is inclined, foster-with-intent could be a good way to go.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I agree with the "it's the individual personality" thing.  I've never had a female/female combo, but my first grey was an in-charge female who brooked no interference from any other dog.  Luckily, the male I got as hound #2, after one clash over who got where on the sofa, was happy to accept her as Fearless Leader.  

I've had a wonderful female/male combo where the hounds became truly bonded.  After the male died, the female became part of my worst combo when the new male (MILO!) bullied her unmercifully.  

Luckily, I have never had to worry about food aggression with any combo.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

• 4 weeks later...

We've had two dogs at one over the past 30 years.  Always had a girl and a boy at the same time.  When one died, it would be replaced with the same gender.  It worked well with our Cocker Spaniels and now two greys.  We have a three yo girl Grey and a five yo boy.  They never crossed paths in their lives but now act like they were born as clones.  But overall, I have to think it's all about personality rather than gender.  We've been extremely lucky.

If you have a chance to attend a Greyhound meetup event where available dogs are present, do it.  I think it's best to shop for and test drive ANY product prior to purchasing.

Edited by DaveS

We’ve had various combos over the years .... our “best buddy” combos have come when we take ours with us to the kennel and let them chose the new one.  Surprising how many times there is a clear choice and the easy transition when we let them pick 😀