Brand new GH mom needing reassurance

Hello,  I’m sure I am one of many who did everything possible to prepare for bringing my furbaby home. I read multiple books and many forums. I researched for one year before biting the bullet on adopting.  My adoption agency found me this beautiful and sweet, quiet 2 year old girl I named Piper. She hasn’t even been off the track for a full month. I just picked her up on Friday evening. So today is my almost 4th day I guess you could say.  The introduction was perfect. She is so friendly and just loves people and giving love to anyone who will acknowledge her.  We had an hour and a half car ride home where she did great. Got her home and she peed before going into my apartment and even walked up 8 concrete stairs with no hesitation. The first night we didn’t get much sleep and the second night was much more improved and last night she only woke up one time to make sure I was there and I told her to go to bed and she laid right down until morning.  She was a pleasure to walk the first two days. Notice I said WAS.  Yesterday morning she introduced me to statuing.  The one thing I read about and prayed wouldn’t happened. I’d rather clean up P&P (which by the way, she has not had any accidents inside). The thing is, she will walk but only in the direction she wants to go which is further and further from home. She will not move when we need to go back home. I read that most freeze in general and just won’t walk at all.  Not her. She will walk but where she wants to walk. To me, that seems more like stubbornness than fear. And that look she gives me when she stops. OMG!  Those eyes!  Treats worked once or twice. I switched them up. Now she will not eat them at all.  I’m starting to wonder if maybe she doesn’t like me or my home. 

I understand these dogs are basically in foreign land with someone that can’t understand and surely do not trust. So I try to be sympathetic to that and be stern but not so harsh that I damage the trust I am trying to build.  She had been following me all around the apartment but now she just makes sure she has me in her site. If she can’t see me she comes looking and once she finds me she will go back to where ever she was laying.  This mornings walk was going great until she saw her first squirrel. Ugh. She wanted it something bad. Could care less about cats and small dogs or even birds but she wouldn’t budge. I tried the stern “NO”, “let’s go,”, tried blocking her view, walking in a circle, nudging her.  Nothing would get her to break her focus and move. I had to call my adoption coordinator for advice. She explained how to put my fingers in her collar and stand close to her and nudge her forward. That got her to move but I don’t know if I was doing it right,  it seemed to bother her throat. So I’d stop. When I did that of course she would stop.  Not only is this hurting my feelings because I feel like I am mistreating her, it is also embarrassing because people see me struggling with her on every single walk now. I am to the point where I am afraid to walk her now. Fear that we might now make back inside, that maybe she will somehow get away, or become so petrified of me.  I want this to work so bad. I am committed but I feel really alone and feel like this might never get better. I know it’s extremely early but with the quarantine situation we are in at the present time I just don’t feel like I can get the help I need to overcome some of these issues.  I am now becoming emotional and that is last these she needs to see or sense from me. 

Any words of encouragement?  Advice?  It is really needed right now. I’m already attached to her and dream of the day I get to see her personality shine through.   Thank you. 

Get a harness.  You will have much more control over her without potentially hurting her neck or throat.  This is the harness that we and many others use. https://www.2houndsdesign.com/product-category/shop-now/freedom-no-pull-harness/   They also sell on Amazon but check to make sure that it will ship in a timely manner before ordering on Amazon. Also - use your existing leash on the harness if you like the leash.  I did find that the 2hounds leashes have very heavy hardware on them and while it is high quality, I didn't like the way that the leash was weighed down by the hardware. 

Petunia is a serial statuer. The harness helped immensely and allows me to move her without risk of injury if I need to get her moving in a particular direction.  

It is still very early in her time with you, and routine is everything with these hounds.  Be consistent in whatever you do with her. Others will chime in with more suggestions on the statuing as it is fairly common. 

Edited by Time4ANap
rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Seconded! My Fuzzy alternated between statuing and leaping for the squirrels. She still tries for them (it's been 7 months!), but the harness has helped immensly with getting her moving again and keeping her feet on the ground. My boy Gino is Mr GOGOGO, and he wants to sniff everything, so between us, she doesn't have a choice. Give yourself some time, it's early days yet!

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

You are not the only one who has had this problem.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Can you walk in a loop? So instead of going back on her step she would only go "forward"! Don't worry, this is a common issue. Keep in mind that they change at 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 months. Don't push her right now she is still getting settled in. She will get the hang of life soon, she needs to build her trust.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

23786382928_141eff29e1.jpg
Cynthia, with Charlie (Britishlionheart) & Zorro el Galgo
Captain Jack (Check my Spots), my first love

If you are truly concerned about her pulling free don't use the above linked harness as it seems very easy to back out of to me.  You need a three-point or five-point safety harness like a hiking or service dog harness.

https://ruffwear.com/products/web-master-harness

And search on here for threads on "statueing."

You aren't alone and this is a very common issue with newly homed greyhounds.  Time and patience are the keys to having a successful relationship with her.  Establish a consistent schedule (one that will hopefully cross-ver into post Covid workdays) and keep to it.  Make walks short and purposeful right now, don't worry too much about exercise unless you need to tire her out for alone training or leaving the house.

Congratulations and good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Get a 3-point harness - first strap at neck, next at check and last at tummy - they can't get out of that if fitted properly.  The harnesses have a handle at the top which can be used easily to move your dog along in the direction you want to go in.

Walk in a circle/loop. If you have to walk straight - turn around by making a wide loop.