Delicate feet!

I’m sure this is a well trodden topic (so to speak) so I’m sorry if I’m going over old ground! 

I have an adopted ex racer (charity volunteer foster that I ended up keeping as I just couldn’t bear to let him go!). 

He’s been with me 8 weeks and is doing well, starting to play and come out of his shell. He absolutely loves bounding around after a ball. However, whenever he runs around he ends up with bloody feet. 

My garden is mainly wooden decking and (horrified) I though he was getting splinters, even though I couldn’t find any. So I switched to a nearby safe and enclosed dog park (grass, path, nothing unusual) and he’s still charging around coming back with sore pads and scrapes.

Help! Any tried and tested solutions out there? 

Musher's Secret is a balm you can put on their pads prior to playing that helps protect them from damage.  There are loads of similar products out there.  If he needs more help than that, try the Paws boots.  They are like thick rubber, balloon shaped booties for dogs that will protect them better.  Probably the "purple" size, but measure him per their instructions.   You can try regular hiking or protective boots, but, in my experience, they don't really stay on very well during playing.  They're OK for walks - especially if you're walking on concrete or pavement.

Try and keep him to grass or sandy areas if you can until his pads toughen up.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

it took around 3 weeks for my first girl's pads to become calloused.she had exactly that problem.  I did very very short walks in the beginning and looked for grass. i would not use mushers. let them become calloused. mushers will keep them soft , you don't want soft. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/5/2020 at 1:30 PM, cleptogrey said:

it took around 3 weeks for my first girl's pads to become calloused.she had exactly that problem.  I did very very short walks in the beginning and looked for grass. i would not use mushers. let them become calloused. mushers will keep them soft , you don't want soft. 

Thank you! His feet seem to be getting getting a bit tougher, but he still comes home with sore, pink pads. Baby steps....  

On 4/4/2020 at 6:04 PM, greysmom said:

Musher's Secret is a balm you can put on their pads prior to playing that helps protect them from damage.  There are loads of similar products out there.  If he needs more help than that, try the Paws boots.  They are like thick rubber, balloon shaped booties for dogs that will protect them better.  Probably the "purple" size, but measure him per their instructions.   You can try regular hiking or protective boots, but, in my experience, they don't really stay on very well during playing.  They're OK for walks - especially if you're walking on concrete or pavement.

Try and keep him to grass or sandy areas if you can until his pads toughen up.

Ah thank you. I'm trying to stick to soft patches as suggested so hopefully that will help. :-)