Cat Intros

We just brought home our first greyhound Saturday. She came straight from a track last weekend. We have a 6 y/o cat who’s been around dogs her whole life. We started as expected, the cat would hiss and growl and her fur would puff up but the hound was still curious. She never tried anything to the cat, just wanted to smell her. We’ve watched her to make sure she isn’t with the cat alone or if she roams the house, she has her muzzle on. We got to a point this morning where our cat would lay in the same place, hiss a little and the dog would just walk away... until tonight. She was in the living room while I was helping with dinner, then I heard some loud bangs and when I went into the guest room, the dog was chasing the cat. Neither of them cried, neither were hurt, but now the cat doesn’t want to come out from under the bed.. I’m not truly understanding how to introduce them so the dog doesn’t feel like she constantly wants to chase the cat. 

You went much too fast with introductions and are very lucky your cat survived.  Even though initial introductions went okay, you need to plan for at least 2 weeks and likely more before you can let the animals be alone together.  A cat standing still is very different from a cat that is moving, perhaps running, and kicks off your dog's chase instincts.  Remember that dog has been bred for centuries to chase and kill animals. Greyhounds have killed cats. That said some greyhounds learn to live quite peacefully with cats.  I've had 8 that did, and 2 that I had to return as I just could not trust them with my cats.  If you can't easily break the dog's concentration on the cat, it is likely hopeless.  But if you can get them to look at you there is hope.  There are several threads on here about introducing grey's and cats.

Basically training consists of going very slow and making sure your cat has a place to escape the dog.  I use a back bedroom.  Initially the door is kept closed.  I may walk the dog in on leash and muzzled to let him sniff the cat.  After a couple days, I put a baby gate in the doorway.  Next I will prop the gate up, so the cat and not the dog can get under it. If the dog ignores the cat, he is praised.    If the dog acts interested, he is corrected with a sharp "no"    The muzzle is still used if there is a chance the dog and cat may meet.  Eventually they can meet when the dog is unmuzzled as long as I am in the room.  The key to all of this is going slowly and making sure the cat is safe. 

If you have a cat with claws who will swat your dog, it will go a long way to teaching the dog to leave the cat alone.  If you have a timid cat that runs, you will have a harder time teaching the dog.

Edited by Scoutsmom