Sign in to follow this  
DaveS

More Greys From Florida

From what I hear from the local rescue group, a lot of greys will be available soon.  My wife, who is more into this, tells me that with the combination of the racing ban in Florida, the end of the winter racing season there, and the virus crises is causing several tracks in Florida to shut down early.  As in like now.  She said there may be several thousand hounds available soon.  She's going down with a group to South Carolina tomorrow to meet some haulers from Florida and bring eight greys back to Raleigh.  Probably more to come in the near future.  Get 'em while they're available.

That's great news news, DaveS. GFNC is back on the approved list of groups allowed to get dogs says GPA. A big bunch of 'em arrived in Wilmington yesterday.

Charlie the iggy, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella)
Angels: Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Daytona was scheduled to close on March 28th and they closed a week early because of the virus. Sanford Orlando was going to close the first week in June, I think after the Belmont, but with them closing because of the virus they decided to end racing last week.  This put probably 1400 dogs into adoption at once. Both tracks would be considered low end tracks so not many of those dogs would  move to another track so adoption is where most would go.

Naples closes May 3rd, but I would guess a lot of those dogs will go to Iowa as their meet starts May 16th. Since Naples is a very good track dogs that don't go to Iowa would probably go to other tracks unless they are older and get adopted out.

With Derby Lane, PB and Jax all closed, but will reopen when the time comes I would guess you will see some of the four-year-old dogs from those tracks also get adopted out. Some of the dogs from DL, PB, Jax and Naples will also go back to the farm.

Sanford Orlando is the track that really threw a monkey wrench into the smooth flow of track closings and putting extra dogs into adoption, but all the dogs are being cared for and the tracks are helping by paying the kennels and some are buying food.

I already put dibs on adopting one dog and told another group I'll foster. I'm ready.

Who knows,  I may live up to my GT name once again. 😁

Looks like there are dogs available.  My wife called and the group has arrived back in the Raleigh area.  https://www.trianglegreyhound.org/availablehounds