Eight Irish Gerys

DaveS

Eight greys from Ireland arrived this afternoon at Raleigh-Durham Airport after an eight hour flight from London.  There were about 15 volunteers to help with un-crating,  paperwork, watering, and walking them so they could relieve themselves.  There was about a two hour delay while we waited for customs to sign off on them.  I don't think any of them had anything to declare, but that's the way customs works.  Someone said that American Airlines requires that there be a 24 hour supply of food for the dogs and what was left must be disposed of by customs.  Who knows?

My observations of the dogs was that they all seem to be more filled out, that is, no ribs showing.  Their coats were much thicker and heavier than the dogs I'm accustomed to here.  And there were no bald butts.  Maybe because they are from a cooler climate.  And all but one was black or brown.

But the best part was that all of them seemed happy, reasonably well adjusted to a new world, and reasonably friendly in spite of their ordeal.  Always glad to welcome new dogs to the area.

Edited by DaveS

It was probably a matter of paperwork and understaffing, two of the greatest weaknesses of the agency I work for. The food is probably if the flight gets delayed. Most products of animal origin cannot be imported without prior notice, it's a result of the Bioterrorism legislation passed after 9/11.

My Gino has an Irish sire, he is not as long and lean as my Johnny was. After a year with me, his bum is nice and hairy, too.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

6 hours ago, DaveS said:

My observations of the dogs was that they all seem to be more filled out, that is, no ribs showing.  Their coats were much thicker and heavier than the dogs I'm accustomed to here.  And there were no bald butts.  Maybe because they are from a cooler climate.

It's called kennel coat and as you guessed it's from being in a cooler climate. They will soon shed it when they are living inside and if they are like my Grace, the chances are a bald butt will appear.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

SId, our blue brindle boy, came from Ireland in October 2017.  

Greyhound Supporters! based in Ottawa, has been bringing Irish hounds to Canada for a few years now   :)

And yes... he a heavier build and his coat is considerably more 'plush'  than my American Greys, and is not like the 'kennel coat' that the American dogs shed out.   As well, his nose is not quite as pointy...and his butt is quite hairy ;)

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg