Please meet Tiger

On 3/15/2020 at 10:23 AM, DocsDoctor said:

No mine wouldn't fit under a table either but if there is a free disabled/ bike/ luggage bay as there often is on a train that provides a good space for the dog to lie down. Or a space at the end of the carriage. There is the aisle/ area between seats too but then you will have to remain on alert for anyone needing to go past! I've taken mine on mainline as well as tube trains and always found room for them, travelling at less busy times - the only journey I wouldn't want to repeat was on one of those fast Pendolino trains, which are so streamlined that there is very little spare space. On buses we go upstairs and to the back, or if there isn't an upstairs stand near the exit.

As well as looking out for free spaces you also need to look out for your neighbours, of course. By and large I have always found fellow passengers and indeed train guards really pleased to see a dog, and wanting to make a fuss of it, ask questions about greyhound racing, etc. - I always say that if I am travelling with a greyhound there is no need to take a book to read!  I am still walking Tiger in a muzzle and am amazed how many people come up and admire him even so.

BUT you also need to remain aware that some people are scared of dogs, some are allergic to them, and some (e.g. Muslims) don't want to come into contact with them because they regard them as unclean. I am polite and smiley and accommodating, and so is my dog, but just occasionally we have needed to stand our ground. Once somebody started telling me we shouldn't be on a train - but it was a fellow-passenger, not a member of staff. She seemed quite panicky and was I suspect severely dog-phobic, and startled by seeing us. Dealt with that one by getting the dog to stand up and move right away to face the window, and inviting her politely to pass us, while pointing out that actually, so long as we behaved ourselves we had just as good a right to be there as she did. She scuttled along into another carriage, and that was that!

London black taxi-cabs also work really well for transporting dogs, because of the big floor area, and again I have always found most drivers will take us.

Thanks everyone for your nice messages about Tiger!  He is continuing to settle in and relax.

In time I'd love to get my chap on buses and the tube. How does Doc find the escalators??

16 hours ago, Feefee147 said:

In time I'd love to get my chap on buses and the tube. How does Doc find the escalators??

Please - never, never take him on a moving escalator! The TfL Journey Planner has an option to find escalator-free routes, and it's actually getting easier all the time, as lifts are installed to improve accessibility.

Once or twice I've been caught out, and had to ask a member of staff to switch an escalator off, so we can use it as a fixed stairway. That will mean a few minutes wait, because they have to put someone at the top and the bottom, but as the nice chap who I had to ask the first time said, "That's all right, my dear; I'd much rather organise this than have to sort out a dog who's got a paw trapped, and maybe his claws ripped out - I've had to do that before now, and it was awful!"

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

7 hours ago, DocsDoctor said:

Please - never, never take him on a moving escalator! The TfL Journey Planner has an option to find escalator-free routes, and it's actually getting easier all the time, as lifts are installed to improve accessibility.

Once or twice I've been caught out, and had to ask a member of staff to switch an escalator off, so we can use it as a fixed stairway. That will mean a few minutes wait, because they have to put someone at the top and the bottom, but as the nice chap who I had to ask the first time said, "That's all right, my dear; I'd much rather organise this than have to sort out a dog who's got a paw trapped, and maybe his claws ripped out - I've had to do that before now, and it was awful!"

Ow! Thats dreadful! That poor dog.

• 2 weeks later...

A much-belated Congratulations!

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thanks @ozgirl and @GreyPoopon! 

He continues to settle in happily and now I think feels very much at home here. Seems much more comfortable about being approached on his bed, though he has developed a bit of a habit instead of taking weird stuff to that - yesterday his sponge which I had left on the draining board. He tried to eat it (he is super-keen on food!) and finding it less than tasty tore it into chunks and scattered those around instead!

I thought you might all like seeing this photo of him that my neighbours took recently - they keep a jar of treats for him and he has worked out out how to stick his head through a hole in our shared back wall to be given one!

Tiger_wall.jpg.d0e1a3871dc29933e7c26e084d1f7a54.jpg

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

It's great to hear how well he's settling in and that he has learned how to neatly put his head under that fence for treats. My Peggy was a collector and dismantler of unusual things in her first months here. One of them was my electric razor, fortunately she didn't eat any of the metal bits, just left a pile of plastic all chewed up. Then she took to shredding her stuffed toys and I soon learned how to do the necessary 'transplant surgery' to re-stuff the next incarnation.

• 8 months later...

Thanks Robin!  It's now almost a year since he came here, and he's well settled in, see below!

IMG_2629.JPG.09d42b86137ccc380941c2b3398fc086.JPG

He's gorgeous! Very handsome. I just know he will make you a prized hound!!!  I am sure that with your experience you two will work out any issues so I would not be overly concerned about the guarding etc.  He probably just needs to learn that he is not running the show with you as he may have been with others. EVERY dog has some kind of issue at some point. If you wait for an 'issue-less' dog you would be waiting forever. One of the best most compassionate hounds I ever had was a large male named Minny! He would and had attacked other dogs and just like Tiger bit me pretty good after I first got him. But each day he got a little better. I actually was fostering him when this happened- even other fosters wouldn't take him.  I found out that with some dogs corn can affect the seratonin levels in the brain so I removed all corn from his diet just in case. He improved and was adopted out but returned several weeks later for pretty bad biting and dominance-guarding the sofa etc.  I of course got him back as I tell all my fosters they ALWAYS can come to me. Well, he was immediately fine again when I got him back. In fact, remember I mentioned his compassion? My soulmate Slim had just crossed over suddenly from bloat/GDV-while Minny was at the adopters-and I was a devastated wreck.  Minny ministered to me and helped me through the grief as NO ONE else could have.  I seen a side of him I didn't know existed before. I am sure he deliberately had got himself returned by acting like that so he could return and help me. Dogs know stuff. Needless to say I promptly 'adopted' him-really he was the one who adopted me though:heart. I never ceased to be amazed by him.  He was also incredibly intelligent and could follow several sentence directions among other things and learned how to perform many things.  And he shared that wonderful greyhound wisdom liberally with me. I marveled at his greatness.   He is with me always.

• 1 month later...