Please meet Tiger

As I mentioned yesterday  in my remembrance thread for dear Ken I have now found a new greyhound companion - Tiger!   I went down to the same rescue that Ken and Doc before him came from last week, met and walked several lovely hounds, and after sleeping on it overnight decided that he was the one who would fit in best here. He's been here since last Tuesday on home trial, and we went down together on the train yesterday to sign the adoption paperwork - the staff were thrilled to see how happy and confident he was looking.

He's four years old, silver brindle, and very handsome as you can see:

1604528920_Tigerinthegarden.jpg.3efb4e8a155049609eb7cedcb06528b2.jpg

(I have to say I am struggling to upload photos on Greytalk these days! Managed to upload this small one as a file attachment, but when I try to add the url for any of the bigger ones that I have on Google photos, the box goes an angry pink and won't accept it! All tips welcomed.)

He's from Ireland originally, trained and did some trials here in England but never appears to have raced. He has been in one home already but it didn't work out - he got returned for biting and growling. Having had him here for a week I can see that he's a sweet affectionate dog, but evidently he does have some resource guarding issues when it comes to furniture and beds;  ironically, having signed his papers yesterday, I got bitten myself this morning! My own silly fault for leaning over him on his upstairs bed, which he evidently prizes highly - he will take himself off there to be in the dark and quiet after dinner of an evening and was evidently fearing being deprived of it this morning. I had been warned by the rescue that this was a possible issue, and although it's not something I've encountered before I'm an experienced owner and having read some "resource guarding" topics here on Greytalk I'm confident it's something we should try and work through together. Just a question of giving him more space and consistency and peace and quiet than he had in his last home, by the sound of it. In other ways he is fitting in really well - enjoys his food and walks and has been playing with some of Ken's old toys!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

:welcome  Welcome home Tiger!

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Congratulations to you and your new friend Tiger. His name suits him, he is beautiful.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Bless you for taking him, I too took a biter/resource guarder after he was bounced. He is super handsome and I wish you both the best.

Current Crew: Gino-Gene-Eugene! (Eastnor Rebel: Makeshift x Celtic Dream); Fuzzy the Goo-Goo Girl (BGR Fuzzy Navel: Boc's Blast Off x Superior Peace); Roman the Giant Galoot! (Imark Roman: Crossfire Clyde x Shana Wookie); Kitties Archie and Dixie

Forever Missed: K9 Sasha (2001-2015); Johnny (John Reese--Gable Dodge x O'Jays) (2011-19); the kitties Terry and Bibbi; and all the others I've had the privilege to know

36938152140_1a2fd29a1f.jpg

Congratulations!  Resource guarding will take some time but eventually he should get it that you're not about to deny him them. Trading-up worked for me when getting bones back was necessary.

You took him on a train?  How does that work... I've often wondered if my dog could travel that way?

congrats!!!!!! :kiss2 :kiss2   he is handsome!  

Our Larry has some bed aggression issues too (since we got him in 2011).  I actually just messaged you about Larry regarding something else but with Larry, we know what his triggers are and have worked around them all these years.  I know that several people have desensitized them to the bed aggression by tossing stuffies at them while they are sleeping) from a distance (which startles them) .  We never tried that, wish I had now... Larry, too, was a bounce from his 1st home for biting and aggression.  I wouldn't trade him for ANYTHING :beatheart

anyway he is LOVELY!   Ken would approve :kiss2 

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Congrats to you both! He's very handsome indeed. :wub:

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

1 hour ago, JohnF said:

Congratulations!  Resource guarding will take some time but eventually he should get it that you're not about to deny him them. Trading-up worked for me when getting bones back was necessary.

You took him on a train?  How does that work... I've often wondered if my dog could travel that way?

Up to two well-behaved dogs can travel with you for free on mainline trains in the UK - I don't have a car, so mine go on public transport with me quite often. I think you used to get charged for them at child rate, but that was in the days when they travelled separately in the guard's van, which of course no longer exists....

Dogs are also allowed on the Tube and London trams, and on London buses at the driver's discretion. Makes sense to introduce them to the idea with a short journey at a quiet time of day, obviously, but mine soon grew to enjoy the experience; both Ken and Doc did long cross-country journeys with me in their time.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

Oh, he is such a big beautiful boy and I’m glad you have a new four-legged companion. I’m sure you’ll be able to work through his issues and end up with a gem. 
Buddy’s not a resource guarded at all (unless you count the Terry’s chocolate orange we found him with one Christmas 😬) but he does show sleep aggression from time to time and we have found that this has reduced an awful lot since we stroke him on his bed. And he has just generally got better with this over time, so there is definitely hope. I’m very happy for you!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Congratulations on the adoption of your very handsome boy.  I am sure that things will work out for you and him.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Congratulations 

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

So happy to see this! Congratulations on your new handsome boy!

Trains :)

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! He looks like he will be a wonderful hound! I have known you for a long time here and he is a lucky dog to have found you because you will give him what he needs to really blossom. I wouldn't be concerned with the resource guarding either. He is so new and he hasn't experienced the personal touch of DocsDoctor yet :) It's easily managed until he learns and matures away from it IMO-small price to pay for such a fine gentleman! Please keep us advised on ya'lls adventures. This is wonderful news!:beatheart

Oh yeah re:osting pictures.......this is the way that works for me......apparently this new froum only accepts 'small' pictures. Therefore open your picture in Paint or whatever and then click "re-size" and then just select how small you need to go. I believe I usually have to reduce them down to ~25% of their original size.  Then re-save it and then it should post OK to GT. But thats what works for me. I just take my ordinary picture; re-size it with a photo app like Paint; re-save and then it should post OK. If the original picture is really large you may need to go even smaller than 25% but this is the process that works for me. Also I can't get it to post multuple pics in the same post like the old days. I have to post each pic in a new post since each post must be so small.

Edited by racindog

On 3/10/2020 at 5:16 PM, DocsDoctor said:

Up to two well-behaved dogs can travel with you for free on mainline trains in the UK -

Thanks for that info. Where do you get them to sit on a train or a bus?  I don't think mine would go under the table happily; and what about other people's reactions?

8 hours ago, JohnF said:

Thanks for that info. Where do you get them to sit on a train or a bus?  I don't think mine would go under the table happily; and what about other people's reactions?

No mine wouldn't fit under a table either but if there is a free disabled/ bike/ luggage bay as there often is on a train that provides a good space for the dog to lie down. Or a space at the end of the carriage. There is the aisle/ area between seats too but then you will have to remain on alert for anyone needing to go past! I've taken mine on mainline as well as tube trains and always found room for them, travelling at less busy times - the only journey I wouldn't want to repeat was on one of those fast Pendolino trains, which are so streamlined that there is very little spare space. On buses we go upstairs and to the back, or if there isn't an upstairs stand near the exit.

As well as looking out for free spaces you also need to look out for your neighbours, of course. By and large I have always found fellow passengers and indeed train guards really pleased to see a dog, and wanting to make a fuss of it, ask questions about greyhound racing, etc. - I always say that if I am travelling with a greyhound there is no need to take a book to read!  I am still walking Tiger in a muzzle and am amazed how many people come up and admire him even so.

BUT you also need to remain aware that some people are scared of dogs, some are allergic to them, and some (e.g. Muslims) don't want to come into contact with them because they regard them as unclean. I am polite and smiley and accommodating, and so is my dog, but just occasionally we have needed to stand our ground. Once somebody started telling me we shouldn't be on a train - but it was a fellow-passenger, not a member of staff. She seemed quite panicky and was I suspect severely dog-phobic, and startled by seeing us. Dealt with that one by getting the dog to stand up and move right away to face the window, and inviting her politely to pass us, while pointing out that actually, so long as we behaved ourselves we had just as good a right to be there as she did. She scuttled along into another carriage, and that was that!

London black taxi-cabs also work really well for transporting dogs, because of the big floor area, and again I have always found most drivers will take us.

Thanks everyone for your nice messages about Tiger!  He is continuing to settle in and relax.

:thumbs-up Yu  dun gud  Tiger!

:gh_bow

Wagz frum Chancey and Nutmeg.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

• 4 weeks later...