Stocking up on dog food in advance of shortages caused by COVID19?

smt

Anyone stocking up on dog food in anticipation of possible supply chain shortages due to COVID19?  If so, how many months of dog food are you storing?  We just bought at 41 pound bag, which will last us about 6 weeks.  Wondering if we should go ahead and buy one more.  Or am I being way too paranoid?

Hadn't even thought about it. I typically stock up a bit before a named hurricane possibly heading my way but doubt I'll stock up for the virus. Hoping USA-grown and made dog and people food and meds will still be available. Don't want any foreign stuff if at all possible anyway. I guess time will tell and perhaps I'll end up wishing I had stocked up, but...

I normally order the next bag of dog food when I open a new bag.  That gives me 4-5 weeks on hand between the open bag and the one on order. 

I am doubtful that we will see supply chain shortages on dog food, but shipping services could be impacted if we get to a real lock-down situation and they start telling people not to go to work. I don't think that is going to happen here because the lack of sales tax and other taxes coming in would cripple the various governments within a week. 

A new bag from Chewy arrived today, and I will probably order one extra to have on hand. That should give me enough to get through any period where it is suggested that we don't leave the house. Just make sure to keep them rotated by date if you find yourself sitting on multiple bags eventually.  When we lived in IL I used to keep 2-3 unopened bags on hand at all times, mostly due to large snow events or a long term ice storm. I scaled that number back when we moved to Phoenix. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Read this today on the NYT:

“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the C.D.C.’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said Tuesday at a news briefing.  While it’s unclear how severe the spread will be in the United States, Dr. Messonnier said Americans should be ready for a “significant disruption” to their daily lives.

Based on the possibility that "significant disruption" to daily life may coming down the pike, I'm buying at least another 41 lb. bag of dog food.  Better to be safe than sorry, and Bette will end up eating all in the next few months, regardless.  

2 minutes ago, smt said:

Read this today on the NYT:

“We are asking the American public to prepare for the expectation that this might be bad,” Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the C.D.C.’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, said Tuesday at a news briefing.  While it’s unclear how severe the spread will be in the United States, Dr. Messonnier said Americans should be ready for a “significant disruption” to their daily lives.

Based on the possibility that "significant disruption" to daily life may coming down the pike, I'm buying at least another 41 lb. bag of dog food.  Better to be safe than sorry, and Bette will end up eating all in the next few months, regardless.  

Never hurts to have an extra bag on hand.

I also made sure that I had some canned chicken from Evanger's on hand yesterday.  We use that when we need to feed a bland diet.  When Rocket was alive I kept 2 cases of that at all times because he had major tummy issues. Apparently broodies have cast iron tummies, so I haven't needed one can since Petunia or Kate arrived.  I double checked to make sure I had some here anyway. 

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

For those of us in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and Delaware, Concord Pets is celebrating Leap Year with 20% of the entire store.  I plan on buying two large bags of kibble.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

• 4 weeks later...

I don't want to start a panic buying epidemic for pet food but here in the UK I feed Grace "Gain Greyhound Maintenance Food" and the company I order it from has non in stock and no date of when any is due in. I've ordered 4 months supply of an alternative food but their delivery is longer than usual because of the lack of delivery drivers.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Yes here in London I have just ordered a couple of 12kg bags of Tiger's food rather earlier than I would normally have done. I was able to get my preferred option but had to buy from a different supplier, because the purchasing mechanism on the one I usually use wasn't working.

We already have 1 and a half bags  in stock, each lasts around a month, and I always buy another two (to get free delivery) when I open the last one. But delivery times have lengthened as HeyRunDog says - from a couple of days to a week or more - and right now having supplies for longer feels like good sense.

Real-life shopping has become distinctly trying, right now - empty shelves and long queues, because of people panic-buying. I actually have good stocks of store cupboard items, I'm that kind of person, but finding things like milk, eggs and fresh fruit and veg can take more time than usual!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

8 hours ago, HeyRunDog said:

I don't want to start a panic buying epidemic for pet food but here in the UK I feed Grace "Gain Greyhound Maintenance Food" and the company I order it from has non in stock and no date of when any is due in. I've ordered 4 months supply of an alternative food but their delivery is longer than usual because of the lack of delivery drivers.

Oh rats! I took your advice some months ago and put my two onto the Gain dried food. Like a Rachel I used to order 2 bags of the old food to get free delivery but found I had to pay delivery charges on each bag of Gain when I ordered two so I only ordered one last time to save room. I had better get another order in double quick!

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

Found some from another supplier whose p&p charges were exorbitant because they somehow decided it was x3 rates of £6+ but I ordered 2 bags just to keep Chancey’s innards doing OK.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

• 2 months later...

This last Chewy order came in two days.  My first, after the pandemic started, took almost two weeks.  Things are catching up.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds