Boomtown Ken (Ken), 1 May 2011-21 February 2020

DocsDoctor

Alas I had to have my dear Ken put to sleep yesterday afternoon. He'd been struggling with hind-end weakness for a couple of weeks; the vet thought initially that might be down to muscle weakness caused by hypothyroidism which we had just started treating -  he had to have a rather nasty carcinoma cut off his thyroid back in October which had evidently mucked up his thyroid levels - but then on Thursday it suddenly became much worse, so that he couldn't use his poor old back legs at all. We gave it 24 hours in the hope that they might rally, but if anything they became worse; probably there was something neurological going on, as well. Happily I'd been using a very good local-ish mobile vet who was able to do consultations here and, ultimately, advise me that it was time for us to put him to sleep, because there was no longer any real chance of him making a good recovery. I could see he was getting worried by his incapacity, too, so it seemed best to let him go straight away, and on his own bed. He was able to enjoy a last tripe stick and doggy venison sausage first, and then left us peacefully, with me crooning to him and stroking him.

It feels very hard to have lost him when he was still only eight, but to be truthful I'd always suspected he was never going to make old bones, because of the various health problems he'd long had. Initial problems with his nail-beds going back to before his adoption led eventually to a diagnosis of muco-cutaneous lupus, an immune system problem which could at least be kept at bay by keeping him permanently on vitamin supplements and antibiotics. Then there was the carcinoma, which had been come off cleanly but I had already been warned had left microparticles in his blood stream. And his last blood tests last Friday showed that his kidneys were weakening, too.  

He was such a sweet boy - so loving and gentle and good-mannered and also, occasionally, cheeky! His favourite game here was nicking my slippers, if I went into the garden and left them on the back door mat; when I came in again, they would be on the living room rug and he would be standing beside them looking highly delighted with himself.  He also loved his own toys, being exceptionally talented at catching those when thrown and still in mid-air.  And though shy on walks when he first came to me, he soon grew in confidence and ultimately became my unofficial helper as Open Spaces chair for our local amenities society, - and official mascot for our local WI's walking group, being easy for newcomers to spot at our rendezvous, polite to humans and other dogs alike, and unfazed by train, tube and even bus travel.

The house feels very empty without him, of course. But I feel I can share with you here on Greytalk something that I wouldn't share with most of my real-life friends: that this morning when I was worrying about his last months, and wondering if I'd done the best by him that I could, I asked him out loud if he could send me a sign that he was okay now and that he forgave me for anything I might have got wrong. And lo and behold, when I went out to buy a paper, there one was: a silver star, I should think off a hubcap, lying on the pavement. It's in his memory box, now.  (And in his predecessor Doc's is a bit of ribbon, again picked up from the pavement the day after his death, and woven with paw prints and flowers and a logo saying "Good Earth.:))

I don't seem to be able to post his picture here but hope you can see him enjoying a run round the park for last year's Christmas card here

And if someone has access to update his greyhound-data page, that would be most helpful.

Finally, a poem.

Exemplary Ken

Farewell dear Ken, my guileless creature,

Of sweetest, gentlest, humblest nature;

A greyhound pet unspoiled by favour,

A model of good dog behaviour,

Without a dream, without a wish,

Beyond more sardines in your dish.

Contentedly through life you've trotted,

Along the path that Fate allotted.

Now Time, your ailing body seizing,

Deprives it of all strength and feeling;

So lie you down without a pain,

To sleep, and never wake again.

With apologies to Sydney Smith (1771-1845), whose original epitaph for an Exemplary Nick can be found here .

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

What a lovely tribute. I'm so sorry it was Ken's time to leave. How wonderful, though, that both your boys were able to send you a sign. I can update his Greyhound Data page; is there a bereavement message you'd like to add, or just the date?

Rest well, Ken.

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I'm so sorry for your loss.  Run-free, Ken. :f_red

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I am so sorry to read this Rachel, I am always amazed at how you and your dogs have travelled on London transport!

I am glad you found the sign from  Ken.
Thinking of you,

Carol.

Miss "England" Carol with whippet lurcher Nutmeg & Zavvi the Chihuahua.

R.I.P. Chancey (Goosetree Chance). 24.1.2009 - 14.4.2022. Bluegrass Banjoman. 25.1.2004 - 25.5.2015 and Ch. Sleepyhollow Aida. 30.9.2000 - 10.1.2014.

What wonderful memories you made with your Ken.  Remember them and smile .....

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

13 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

What a lovely tribute. I'm so sorry it was Ken's time to leave. How wonderful, though, that both your boys were able to send you a sign. I can update his Greyhound Data page; is there a bereavement message you'd like to add, or just the date?

Rest well, Ken.

Thank you so much, Rachel! Yes I think the whole message needs to be changed to "Dear Ken was the gentlest and sweetest-natured of greyhounds. He was able to enjoy several happy years of home life before passing away peacefully on 21 February 2020." If you think it's helpful/ appropriate to add something of his medical history (e.g. for someone researching bloodlines) please add another sentence saying. "He had recently successfully undergone a thyroidectomy, but then succumbed to hind-end paralysis."

And thank you so much everyone for your kind messages. They mean a lot at this sad time.

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

My heart goes out to you on your loss, I am so terribly sorry. We simply don't expect to have to say goodbye to the young'uns. Paddy Mayhem was gone at seven  just 18 days after the first onset of symptoms. Hold tight to those wonderful memories that you and Ken created ... what an incredible book you wrote together in that short time! And you've already received a sign, what a thoughtful boy :heart  :grouphug

Godspeed dear Ken.

Edited by FiveRoooooers

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

5 hours ago, DocsDoctor said:

Thank you so much, Rachel! Yes I think the whole message needs to be changed to "Dear Ken was the gentlest and sweetest-natured of greyhounds. He was able to enjoy several happy years of home life before passing away peacefully on 21 February 2020." If you think it's helpful/ appropriate to add something of his medical history (e.g. for someone researching bloodlines) please add another sentence saying. "He had recently successfully undergone a thyroidectomy, but then succumbed to hind-end paralysis."

Done. :grouphug 

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

I am so sorry for your loss of Ken. Rest well good boy.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

Shocked and saddened to see that your Exemplary Ken has left us.  I didn't realize he was shy when he first came to you, and always enjoyed the accounts of his travels.  How brave of him to become the perfect mascot for your walking group.  I can just imagine him being a beacon of good looks and polite congeniality.   We would have wished for many, many more years for you together, but you gave him the ending he deserved.  A tripe stick, sausage, and being caressed -- what dog could ask for more as he was eased out of this life and into whatever is next.  Perhaps he and Doc have found each other and are enjoying a good natter.  

:grouphug

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I'm so sorry for your loss. :brokenheart :heart

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am so very, very sorry your sweet Ken had to leave you :(  sending many hugs.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

So very sorry. 

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

My heart is breaking for you. That was such a beautiful tribute you wrote. I especially liked how he would re-locate your slippers hehe. I could just see him standing there over them when you came back in!  I am so glad he sent you that sign. I know how comforting that is. Perhaps he may even send another....

:f_red:f_red:f_red

Thank you so much everybody - your kindness is very much appreciated :)

1 hour ago, racindog said:

My heart is breaking for you. That was such a beautiful tribute you wrote. I especially liked how he would re-locate your slippers hehe. I could just see him standing there over them when you came back in!  I am so glad he sent you that sign. I know how comforting that is. Perhaps he may even send another....

Not so much another sign, as another dog! Ken was so good at helping me get over the loss of Doc, that this time round I felt much more confident that the right thing for me to do was find them both a successor.  So last week I went down to the same greyhound rescue, walked several dogs, and ended up wanting to help out Tiger, a beautiful four year old silver brindle boy. He'd been returned from one home and was so badly wanting another! Initially he came here just on trial, but he's doing so well and is evidently so happy here that we went down together on the train and signed his adoption paperwork today. I'll write a separate thread about him in Introductions and Biography....

Edited by DocsDoctor
grammar

:heart Wonderful news! Congrats to you both.

Edited by Kestrel

Kendra, devoted walker of Henry (Tom Jones: Great Son x Lucia)

Missing Badger (Vf Get R Done: Quicksand Slip x Ll Tee el See), 5/04 - 2/14, who opened our hearts and our home to greyhounds; Kenzie (Slatex Kenzie: Randy Handy x Slatex Chrisy), 4/03 - 10/14, who really knew what a good dog she was; Falcon (Atascocita Sabat: Dodgem by Design x Atascocita Barb), 9/10 - 1/20, who was grumpy and snarky but eventually a little bit cuddly, too; Grandpa Grey the Galgo Español, 2008 (?) to 2022, who made us feel lucky to be the ones to teach him about pet life; and Lucia (Larking About x Anastasia, 5/12 to 8/23), our first brood matron and the sweetest speckly girl. 

The best way to honor a friend that's passed is to help another.  I'm so sorry Ken had to leave, but know that Tiger couldn't have a better forever home.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Initially he came here just on trial, but he's doing so well and is evidently so happy here that we went down together on the train and signed his adoption paperwork today. I'll write a separate thread about him in Introductions and Biography....

Congreytulations to you and Tiger!  It is heartwarming to read how happy he is, and to see that he is following in the (train)tracks of Ken and Doc.  According to his GreyhoundData page, he is 1/4 American, a Gable Dodge boy, so he must be related to many of our US hounds, including my Jeter (Mac's Palmer).  

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter