Welcome Home Peaches! 🍑

Hello all, 

After a few months of meets, walks and excitement we finally brought home Peaches on Saturday 15th February! She had a great first day with us, sniffing around the house, going for a walk or two and cuddling up on the sofa in the evening. We let her go at her own pace and didn’t pester her for attention, letting her choose to spend time with us if she wanted too, that night we went to bed and she slept silently until we got her up on the Sunday morning.
Sunday was another great day, she ate her food well, had regular toileting, went for 3 walks and we snuggled on the sofa in the evening, again she went to bed quietly and didn’t make a peep until we woke her up on Monday morning.

On Monday we woke her up, fed her and took her for a walk as usual, then I had to go into work for an hour or so so I left her with her kong full of peanut butter and kibble to distract her as I left. We have cameras through the house to check up on her and everytime we checked through the day she was snoozing on the sofa and seemed happy! When I got back from work however things changed, she because stuck to my side and became anxious whenever I left the room, even if my partner was still with her (we’ve spent the same amount of time with her). Today I have tried to go out of the room or out of the house for short periods of time to get her used to the idea of me not being there all the time as I go back to work next week. She seems to have a few barks and whimpers but then settles herself on the sofa, however tonight when putting her to bed she began to bark and, although it didn’t even last as long as a minute, she hasn’t done this before and now she seems hyper alert, pricking her ears up to any small sound inside or outside the house. 

I know we’re only on day 4 but we’re new to owning a dog and we just want her to be happy and comfortable here... I want to say that it’s normal for her to be un-phased by us for the first day or so then start missing us once she grows attachments to us, but I’m unsure how to go about making these secure attachments without her becoming anxious whenever I’m not around... help please! I want Peaches to have a really happy home here as she’s such a shy, quiet and timid little girl who deserves the best!

Thank you! I hope we can learn how to settle her! 
Lauren, Jack and Peaches 🍑  

Where is she sleeping at night?

Sounds like it is in another room....

I'd let her sleep in your room. Do you have a comfy dog bed for her? 

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

She's still settling in and getting used to your routines and as she gets used to one thing she notices something else and it's up to you whether she sleeps in your room or elsewhere. It seems to depend which side of the Atlantic you are. :D

Make sure she's warm enough with a comfy bed or sofa and if you decide she's going to sleep elsewhere you will probably have a few noisy nights until she gets used to the idea that you haven't left her and will be coming back. Don't go and see her or shout when she barks or whimpers or she'll think that's how to get the attention she wants. You'll have to tough it out.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

7 hours ago, BatterseaBrindl said:

Where is she sleeping at night?

Sounds like it is in another room....

I'd let her sleep in your room. Do you have a comfy dog bed for her? 

She sleeps downstairs as we don’t allow her upstairs. She has a sofa full of blankets and cushions, a duvet and an orthopaedic dog bed with blankets and soft toys so comfort isn’t the problem! 

24 minutes ago, HeyRunDog said:

She's still settling in and getting used to your routines and as she gets used to one thing she notices something else and it's up to you whether she sleeps in your room or elsewhere. It seems to depend which side of the Atlantic you are. :D

Make sure she's warm enough with a comfy bed or sofa and if you decide she's going to sleep elsewhere you will probably have a few noisy nights until she gets used to the idea that you haven't left her and will be coming back. Don't go and see her or shout when she barks or whimpers or she'll think that's how to get the attention she wants. You'll have to tough it out.

Thank you. Once we’ve left she’s quiet, it’s just the initial separation that she doesn’t like. We don’t go to her or let her hear us when she barks for the reason you’ve said. I want her to feel settled and I understand this will take some time and getting used too, I just wanted to check we were doing the right thing! X

Please try having her upstairs with you. She has never, ever been alone in her life.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

5 hours ago, LaurenLeigh said:

She sleeps downstairs as we don’t allow her upstairs. She has a sofa full of blankets and cushions, a duvet and an orthopaedic dog bed with blankets and soft toys so comfort isn’t the problem! 

We now have two greyhounds, but even when it was only one, our older girl always chose to sleep in the other room from us on the couch. Dog beds aren't good enough for her apparently! Now both dogs choose to sleep in the other room, sometimes coming into our bedroom to see if they can get an early breakfast.

Some dogs adjust, others may have a harder time being alone. Is there a possibility either of you could spend some time sleeping on the couch near her until you do some alone training where she knows you aren't leaving her? That way you aren't allowing her upstairs but you are still there to comfort as she is settling in. If you decrease the amount of time you are with her during the night gradually, she may adapt that way.

There are some great separation anxiety books out there ("I"ll be Home Soon" by Patricia B. McConnell is one I recommend). Essentially for alone training you will need to go out of sight (or out a door eventually, once you have made progress) for only a few seconds before coming back in. You might even have to start just going a certain distance away where she can still see you. You want to return to her before she panics or you end up rewarding that anxiety. The length of time gets longer and you can get further away each time, based on your dog's reaction. It has to be taken slowly. Our dogs can't wait until we leave for work now because they only get their favorite jerky stick treat any time we leave the house. For instance, when you are going to walk away from her hand her that Kong then go. But as soon as you come back into the room it goes away (hopefully she will be distracted where you can grab it, otherwise you should "trade up" to avoid her learning to resource guard). Both of our girls have separation anxiety. These tactics worked very well in the interim with our first, but it didn't fully go away until we got our second hound.

Best of luck, there are so many knowledgeable people on here. I am certainly no expert but this helped our hounds!

Edited by lifeingrey

Congrats and also please let her sleep in the room with you.

Mom to Ranger (PB's Long Ranger), Esso (Kiowa Stay Over) and Cookie the rattie mix

Missing Kahn (Gil's Khan) 10-29-03 - 11-7-16  Belle (Regall Belooow) 8-9-07 - 3-12-17  Star (Greyt Star) 1-19-07 - 3-13-2020  Pitch (Emerald Pitch) 4-1-08 - 6-3-2020

22 hours ago, LaurenLeigh said:

I don't allow Grace upstairs either and she's is usually curled up on the sofa asleep before I go to bed. I also give her a treat before I go out and it's got to the stage now that if she thinks I'm going she'll look at me licking her lips wondering where her treat is. :D

Your Peaches sounds very much like my Grace and you'll notice a big difference in her behaviour in the first 6 months and she'll continue to develop into a wonderful hound over the next 1 to 2 years. Just relax and enjoy the journey.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Thank you all! The kong works a treat and she barely notices we’ve gone when she has it! Today I was able to leave her downstairs while I showered without any barking or crying too so hopefully we’re going in the right direction! Next on the list of things to tackle is walking without freezing every other step and restlessness at 9.30pm...! We’ll get there!